World Cruising on Princess

SeaTheWorldBySea

Just wondering why Princess begins and ends all world cruises in Australia, on Australian based ships. We are doing a couple of segments in 2017 so have been reading roll calls and reviews. Being from TX and MD, we and our friends will be 4 of what it looks like wil be very few Americans. Have all the American Princess fans who are interested in a WC already done one?

I am not complaining, we have cruised with some Aussies and count them among our friends. They are fun folks! I am just curious about Princess choosing to market the WC primarily in AU. Our TA was not even able to get group space, on the day booking opened here in the US. My guess is they only let AU and maybe NZ travel agents have group space.

Well, the simple answer to your question is that they don't all begin and end in Australia. When you do a search for World Cruise, you can clearly see two out of the three possible start/end points are U.S. ports: Pacific's annual world cruises, in January 2016 and January 2017.

Wonder why they only use the smaller ship for the WC out of the United States. Is the cost cheaper for the smaller ship and would it be harder to fill a larger ship. Not that we could afford a WC but I don't think I would even consider one on such a small ship. I'm not good when it comes to rough weather and small ships although we have done the Pacific before in the Caribbean. :)

World cruises are usually done on "smaller" ships as unless they want to route them around Cape Horn the ship needs to fit through the Panama Canal. So unless Princess wants to move Coral or Island away from the 10 to 14 day Canal sailings the choices are either the Aussie Sun-class ships or the Pacific before she goes away.

(And just in case anyone is really interested in a World Cruise on a big ship: the Queen Mary 2 will be doing so via Cape Horn in 2017. So for the price of a modest house you can have the three-month sailing of a lifetime)

Edited by fishywood

Very popular in Australia and Princess has no problem selling them out so they offer them every year. Australians love to do the longer cruises too for example of longer cruises commencing to and from Australia: 35 South Pacific offered couple times a year, the annual 42 day Cherry Blossum cruise, 46 day African/Asia cruise, Circle Pacific 75 day cruise offered in 2016 and now in 2017 on Golden Princess and the mammoth 84 day South America cruise. Plus the World cruise.

Edited by icat2000

Very popular in Australia and Princess has no problem selling them out so they offer them every year. Australians love to do the longer cruises too for example of longer cruises commencing to and from Australia: 35 South Pacific offered couple times a year, the annual 42 day Cherry Blossum cruise, 46 day African/Asia cruise, Circle Pacific 75 day cruise offered in 2016 and now in 2017 on Golden Princess and the mammoth 84 day South America cruise. Plus the World cruise.

Aussies are spoilt for choice on longer cruises, I suspect it has to do with out leave provisions.

Just wondering why Princess begins and ends all world cruises in Australia, on Australian based ships. We are doing a couple of segments in 2017 so have been reading roll calls and reviews. Being from TX and MD, we and our friends will be 4 of what it looks like wil be very few Americans. Have all the American Princess fans who are interested in a WC already done one?

There is one in 2016 and 2017 out of LA and Fort Lauderdale.

Curt:)

Edited by BigTimeCruiser

There is one in 2016 and 2017 out of LA and Fort Lauderdale.

Curt:)

I am usually very thorough when searching Princess for cruises but I definitely did not do a thorough job of researching world cruises. Thanks to you and to rdsgrl, I took a closer look and we have cancelled the two segments of world cruise we booked on Sea Princess and have booked two similar ones on the Pacific Princess. We are much happier with the Pacific Princess itineraries and with the ship itself.

I have just subscribed to your 2017 World Cruise Blog and look forward to following along and to seeing you onboard the Pacific Princess in 2017.

Thanks for the replies!:)

Edited by SeaTheWorldBySea

Love the Pacific Princess and booked on the 2016 world cruise LA to LA. We find the smaller ship easier to make friends on, and love watching the sunrise on the fantail at the rear of the Panorama Buffet. If you watch the prices and book a guarantee it's nowhere near as expensive as Oceania or QE2

I have just subscribed to your 2017 World Cruise Blog and look forward to following along and to seeing you onboard the Pacific Princess in 2017.

Thanks for the replies!:)

Good news!! Join the Roll Call under Pacific Princess 2017 World Cruise. Looking forward to seeing you on board.

Curt :):)

Edited by BigTimeCruiser

Love the Pacific Princess and booked on the 2016 world cruise LA to LA. We find the smaller ship easier to make friends on, and love watching the sunrise on the fantail at the rear of the Panorama Buffet. If you watch the prices and book a guarantee it's nowhere near as expensive as Oceania or QE2

By far my favourite ship.

But then it's the one we fell in love with cruising on.

Wish it still sailed Downunder.