Just back from Viking Pride in Paris

Canadian Sunset

My husband and I spent a wonderful week doing the Paris and the heart of Normandy cruise. The Viking Pride is being retired at the end of December and the decor is a bit tired, but the staff more than makes up for it. Within minutes of boarding everyone we met who was staff remembered our names. We never saw a staff member who wasn't smiling and courteous and who went out of their way to get us anything we needed. The food was excellent and I was amazed that they could feed 150 passengers quality meals from the tiny kitchen.

My husband is a bit of an independent traveller, so when we were in port, Alina, at reception, made us a detailed map of the various places after we told her what we wanted to do.

Sending kudos to Brian, Alina, Attila. Clara, Dimitrios, Fantzy, and every other member of the crew. You were all superb. [emoji106]

We did this cruise in July and thought the same thing about the crew and staff. They all seemed upbeat and happy to be there, and I think that comes from the top. The ship was nice and I hate that it is being retired.

My husband and I spent a wonderful week doing the Paris and the heart of Normandy cruise. The Viking Pride is being retired at the end of December and the decor is a bit tired, but the staff more than makes up for it. Within minutes of boarding everyone we met who was staff remembered our names. We never saw a staff member who wasn't smiling and courteous and who went out of their way to get us anything we needed. The food was excellent and I was amazed that they could feed 150 passengers quality meals from the tiny kitchen.

My husband is a bit of an independent traveller, so when we were in port, Alina, at reception, made us a detailed map of the various places after we told her what we wanted to do.

Sending kudos to Brian, Alina, Attila. Clara, Dimitrios, Fantzy, and every other member of the crew. You were all superb. [emoji106]

We are looking at this itinerary for the future. Likely would do the combo so it ends being "France's Finest"?

What air did you use? Viking?

Which gateway from Ontario?

I'm going to answer the questions so far right here and together.

We didn't fly with Viking because we had a favourite hotel where we wanted to stay and flew in three days before the cruise.

We flew out of Pearson airport, Toronto, which is the closest to where we live. Air Canada had a non-stop flight as does Air France. We like them both.

Since we had been to Paris before and had visited both places on the optional list, we stayed back.

We did hear that both the Louvre and Versailles were very crowded which was not the case when we visited 11 years ago. On the other hand, they are both well worth seeing.

So........if Viking Pride is being replaced by a longship, then a ship that is able to dock at La Grenelle is being replaced by a ship that must doc at Le Pecq, miles away from Paris? Okay.......

Haven't read anything about the demonstration that supposedly occurred a couple of weeks ago, to show that a longship could turn itself around in the req'd amount of time, allowing it to dock in Paris proper.

We go next week on this cruise. Really looking forward to it.

When you went to the D-Day beaches, did you get as far as any of the American beaches?

Thanks

There are two tours to the beaches: The American tour and the Commonwealth tour. The American tour went to Omaha beach I believe. The Commonweath tour only went to Juno beach.

There are two tours to the beaches: The American tour and the Commonwealth tour. The American tour went to Omaha beach I believe. The Commonweath tour only went to Juno beach.

Did the Commonwealth tour include anything else, like the Bayeux Tapestry, or was it strictly D-Day?

Thank you!

We were on the Viking Spirit about the same time, and also had a fantastic experience. That ship is also being retired from Viking's fleet.

We did go to the Normandy beaches. We first visited the museum, then had lunch (very nice). The bus then took us to the German bunkers above the beaches. We then went to the American cemetery where there was a small, emotional ceremony. After some free time to visit that site, we drove to Omaha Beach, for a bit of free time there. A very worthwhile, if sobering day.

We also did the optional tour to Versailles and were glad we did.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Becki

We also did the optional tour to Versailles and were glad we did.

Please ask if you have any questions.

Becki

Did the Versailles your include time to visit the gardens? Were you there on the weekend and, if so, were the fountains on?

Did you eat all of your meals on the ship?

Laurie

Hi, Laurie,

The optional tour to Versailles did include time in the gardens. It was a Thurs when we were at Versailles.

We spent some time pre cruise in Paris and our friends, who joined us on the cruise had been to Paris before, so on the day of the orientation bus tour, when it stopped at Notre Dame, we left the tour (after advising the guide) and did our own thing. We wanted to go to the Opera House, but that day was a Saturday, so it was closed for tours due to a performance later that day. So, instead, we hopped on the Metro and went to Pere Lachaise cemetery, having a nice lunch nearby after.

My husband and I ate at several restaurants and cafes during our precruise days while out sightseeing. The Metro is quite easy and economical to use.

Becki

How was the internet connection on the ship?

The internet is satellite, therefore bad weather can affect the strength of the signal. It also depends on how many people are trying to use the WiFi. I found the best spots were anywhere near the reception, area which is the hotspot.

Patrick,

There were both a 110 and a 220 outlet in the cabin. If you have multilpe devices that need charging, you could either bring a multi- plug that allows you to plug more than one device into one outlet or bring an adapter plug for the 220 outlet. Most devices like phones, cameras and e- readers are 110/220 so you only need the plug adaptor to utilize the 220 outlet. Just verify your devices are dual voltage beforehand.

Becki