What to do in Malaga

campolady

Campolady

Thank you for all the good information. I have a bad leg, so I use a folding mobility scooter. Can I get around? I like the idea of starting at the Castle, and working my way down. How can I get around, will a taxi take me. Any advice would be appreciated

If your folding mobility scooter will fit in a ordinary car boot/trunk most taxi drivers will take you anywhere you want to go or, if they are unable to fit the scooter in, they will ring for a disabled access taxi with more storage space. If you start at the castle ask the driver to return to pick you up in an hours time as there aren't always cabs parked there. It is quite steep up at the castle and the walkways are narrow so you may not be able to navigate the scooter along some walkways but will still be able to enter the museum and see the views.

Most of Malagas strets are flat and smoothly surfaced for easy driving,. however, some of the lanes of the old city are narrow and cobbled so you may have to be selective which you go down but there are more than enough passageways that you will easily get along.

I recently did a search of tourist sites for someone else who uses a scooter and, unfortunately, it seems that scooters are not allowed in any museums etc. However, everywhere has wheelchair access if that is any help. This webpage is useful http://www.guidetomalaga.com/wheelchair-accessible-malaga/

Please feel free to re-post if you require any further information.

Edited by campolady

• 3 weeks later...

We will be in Port on April 12th of this year. We get in at 8AM. Should we take a bus , taxi or walk to Gibraltar? Are the Taxi cabs marked and about what would it cost for two? I see 10 Euros and I see 29 Euros. How long would the bus take? Is it the 35 Bus from the port?

Thank You....

We will be in Port on April 12th of this year. We get in at 8AM. Should we take a bus , taxi or walk to Gibraltar? Are the Taxi cabs marked and about what would it cost for two? I see 10 Euros and I see 29 Euros. How long would the bus take? Is it the 35 Bus from the port?

Thank You....

I assume you mean Gibralfaro not Gibraltar which is a 2 hour journey from Malaga!

The no. 35 bus does not go from the cruise terminal, it runs along the main road (Alameda Principal) which is at the far side of the park opposite the port gates (it is a 1.5 kilometer walk from the cruise terminal to the port gates). The is a no. 35 bus stop facing the Hotel AC Malaga Palacio. There is a shuttle bus from the cruise terminal to the park which costs 5 Euros return. The no. 35 fare is 1.35 Euros each way (this could rise slightly on 1st April); journey time around 15 minutes.

There are always taxi cabs waiting immediately outside the cruise terminal - if looking for one away from the port taxis are very easily identifiable and show a green light if available for hire. The minimum cab fare in the city is 10 Euros - the castle is slightly outside the minimum fare area so would cost around 14 Euros each way.

It is a long, winding and strenuous walk up to the castle which is atop a very steep hill - although April temperatures aren't too high I would not recommend walking unless you are regular hikers. The walk from the cruise terminal would take a good hour.

Edited by campolady

Thank You....

By the way, in my previous reply to your query I forgot to say that the first no. 35 bus does not run until 11 a.m. Here is the schedule http://en.redtransporte.com/malaga/autobuses-emt-malaga/linea-35.html

The bus stop I mentioned near the Hotel AC Malaga Palacio is stop number 3324 (Paseo del Parque/Plaza de la Marina); if you click on the 'select a line' box of this link and select line 35 it will show you the bus route from there to the castle http://www.emtmalaga.es/emt-classic/home.html?lang=en

Edited by campolady

Thank You. We will take a cab. The ship gets in at 8AM.

Makes sense. There are not always taxis waiting at the castle to bring you back into the city so either ask the driver who takes you up to come back for you at a set time or, if you don't know how long you want to spend at the castle, walk about 100 meters back down the hill and turn right into the grounds of the Parador Hotel where cabs are usually parked outside the hotel entrance. The views from the Parador are stunning and the non-residents lounge there a lovely place to stop for coffee (even nicer for lunch). If there are no cabs waiting at the Parador the hotel will happily call one for you as long as you buy a drink.

http://www.paradores-spain.com/spain/pmgibralfaro.html

http://www.parador.es/en/paradores/parador-de-malaga-gibralfaro

If you don't want the expense of a taxi back into the city there is a bus stop for the no. 35 just past where you turn into the entrance drive of the Parador (see schedule from the castle and add a couple of minutes).

By the way, I have just noticed that the no. 35 bus schedule has changed to the new season schedule and is now showing departures from 7.20 a.m.! http://en.redtransporte.com/malaga/autobuses-emt-malaga/linea-35.html

Edited by campolady

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

We are cruising in April and Malaga is one of our stops. We have a 5 year old, so are looking for something to suit. We were thinking about having a beach day but do not fancy travelling far. Are there any beaches or parks etc reasonable distance to port?

Thanks

Hi,

We are cruising in April and Malaga is one of our stops. We have a 5 year old, so are looking for something to suit. We were thinking about having a beach day but do not fancy travelling far. Are there any beaches or parks etc reasonable distance to port?

Thanks

Malagueta beach is a 10-15 minutes walk from the cruise terminal - lovely clean sand and some good beach bars/cafes. http://www.andalucia.com/cities/malaga/beaches.htm

There is a park just across the road from the port entrance gates (Parque de Malaga) that has a childrens play area and is very popular with local families. If you don't want to walk take the shuttle bus from the cruise terminal and it drops you off by the park. https://www.spain-holiday.com/Malaga-city/articles/malagas-parks-el-parque-de-malaga

Edited by campolady

Thank you for your informative reply campolady. I have just been doing some research and I have noticed an aquapark that will be open called parquet acuatico mijas. Is this far from the port, how much would a taxi cost and how is best to get there? Many thanks

Thank you for your informative reply campolady. I have just been doing some research and I have noticed an aquapark that will be open called parquet acuatico mijas. Is this far from the port, how much would a taxi cost and how is best to get there? Many thanks

Mijas is a good 45 minutes drive from the port and a taxi would cost approximately 60 Euros each way. To save money you could take a train from Malagas Alameda Station - a 5 minutes walk from where the cruise port shuttle bus drops you off by the park - to Fuengirola then a taxi from there to the water park; a free bus service runs in the Summer season from Fuengirola bus station (opposite the railway station) to the water park but I do not know if this starts as early as April so have a look on here http://www.aquamijas.com/en/# Trains run every 20 minutes and the journey from Malaga Alameda to Fuengirola (the end of the line) takes about 40 minutes; the last time I did the train journey the fare was around 3 Euros each way but this may have risen a little. There is also a bus service from the bus station by the port gates to Fuengirola but the journey can take well over an hour.

Be aware that water will be cold in April!!!!

Edited by campolady

Thank for that information. I think I will give the waterpark a miss. I think we will go for a walk around town for some churros (the place that you have previously recommended in this blog) and then find a beach with pedalos or some sort of water sport to keep everyone entertained.

Thank for that information. I think I will give the waterpark a miss. I think we will go for a walk around town for some churros (the place that you have previously recommended in this blog) and then find a beach with pedalos or some sort of water sport to keep everyone entertained.

Malagueta is a great beach and so convenient for the port (very popular with the local Malaga residents). Not much more than pedaloes available for water sports in April; most water sports start in mid-May when the water is slightly warmer but a few starting at Easter this year with it being so late.

I think we would be happy with just a pedalo or kayak, nothing too fancy. We would really like some nice clean sand to make relax on. Just hope they are easy to find and not too far to walk to.

The sand is lovely and clean and you cannot miss the beaches as they are very close to the port. Doubt you will get kayaks but there should be pedaloes.

Thank you Campolady for such an informative and interesting thread about your adopted city. We look forward to visiting it on October 6 of this year. Our ship is scheduled to arrive at 8:00 AM and departs at 6:00 PM. This is what we would like topartke in or visit: el Castillo de Gibralfaro, Alcazaba, have some churros, visit one or two tapas bars, the Picasso museum and if time allows the Pompidou Center.

How do you suggest we go about this? I would appreciate your counsel on transportation, timeframes, etc. Once again thank you so much for your assistance. This will be our first real visit of Malaga. Our last time there, we took a tour to visit the Alhambra. Your thread has convinced us of staying to appreciate this lovely city.

Dear Campolady. I have taken a look at the hop on hop off bus tour. It takes us to the sites we wish to visit. In your opinion, would this be an interesting option for transportation purposes or should we just take a taxi from the cruise terminal. There are two of us in our party.

Dear Campolady. I have taken a look at the hop on hop off bus tour. It takes us to the sites we wish to visit. In your opinion, would this be an interesting option for transportation purposes or should we just take a taxi from the cruise terminal. There are two of us in our party.

You will certainly see much more of the city if you use the HOHO bus; but, if you merely want to visit the sites you originally mentioned, I would save the fare and use the money for taxis instead. If you do decide to use the HOHO it is a 1.5 kilometer walk from the cruise terminal to the HOHO stand by the port gates so, unless you like walking, I would suggest you take the shuttle bus that will drop you off very close to the HOHO departure point rather than be tired before your day begins.

If you decide against the HOHO I would take a taxi up to Gibralfaro - there are often other couples looking to share a taxi up to the castle to split the fare - then, after your visit, get another taxi or the number 35 bus back down into the centre to go to the Alcazaba**, museum, bars etc. Finally I would return to the port to visit the Pompidou Centre. **If you are fit you can walk downhill from the castle to the Alcazaba rather than taking the bus/taxi.

I would plan your itinerary in this order:-

1. Gibralfaro Castle (on arrival buy the cheaper joint ticket for both there and the Alcazaba)

2. Alcazaba When you have finished your tour stop nearby for Coffee/Chocolate and Churros.

3. Make the short walk to the Picasso Museum (buy the cheaper joint ticket for both exhibitions unless you just want to see the Picasso works).

4. Have Tapas in one of the bars nearby (suggest either the bar immediately opposite the museum entrance or the famous El Pimpi just around the corner on Calle Granada but that entrance is well hidden down a little alleyway so keep your eyes peeled).

5. Stroll back to the port to visit the Pompidou Centre OR, if you are now tired, take the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Obviously I don't know your ages but, if over 65, take proof of your age to get reduced price entrance tickets.

Hope this helps a bit.

• 1 month later...

We have just booked this cruise on one of our 2 favorite ships- Marina is the other. I haven't had a chance to read all 17 pages but as very experienced cruisers with some experience in some of these ports, we are most interested in any private tours you may be looking to fill.

We have taken a variety of cooking classes and have never been disappointed. I think Chef Kelly is the one who set up the program.

We are from Arlington VA.

You will certainly see much more of the city if you use the HOHO bus; but, if you merely want to visit the sites you originally mentioned, I would save the fare and use the money for taxis instead. If you do decide to use the HOHO it is a 1.5 kilometer walk from the cruise terminal to the HOHO stand by the port gates so, unless you like walking, I would suggest you take the shuttle bus that will drop you off very close to the HOHO departure point rather than be tired before your day begins.

If you decide against the HOHO I would take a taxi up to Gibralfaro - there are often other couples looking to share a taxi up to the castle to split the fare - then, after your visit, get another taxi or the number 35 bus back down into the centre to go to the Alcazaba**, museum, bars etc. Finally I would return to the port to visit the Pompidou Centre. **If you are fit you can walk downhill from the castle to the Alcazaba rather than taking the bus/taxi.

I would plan your itinerary in this order:-

1. Gibralfaro Castle (on arrival buy the cheaper joint ticket for both there and the Alcazaba)

2. Alcazaba When you have finished your tour stop nearby for Coffee/Chocolate and Churros.

3. Make the short walk to the Picasso Museum (buy the cheaper joint ticket for both exhibitions unless you just want to see the Picasso works).

4. Have Tapas in one of the bars nearby (suggest either the bar immediately opposite the museum entrance or the famous El Pimpi just around the corner on Calle Granada but that entrance is well hidden down a little alleyway so keep your eyes peeled).

5. Stroll back to the port to visit the Pompidou Centre OR, if you are now tired, take the shuttle bus back to the ship.

Obviously I don't know your ages but, if over 65, take proof of your age to get reduced price entrance tickets.

Hope this helps a bit.

This whole thread has been very informative. Thank you! (And thanks for the reminder about the senior discount; I don't like to think of myself as old, but i'm 69 and I don't mind saving a little bit when possible.

This whole thread has been very informative. Thank you! (And thanks for the reminder about the senior discount; I don't like to think of myself as old, but i'm 69 and I don't mind saving a little bit when possible.

Great info Mac Thespian Thanks!