What to do in Malaga

campolady

Hola Campolady,

Me llamo Miguel Ángel, soy de Málaga y aquí vivo...

Permíteme que te felicite muy sinceramente por la gran labor de difusión de los grandes atractivos de mi ciudad que vienes realizando en este foro.

No solo ayudas y aconsejas a los que vienen a conocerla, también difundes, con gran eficacia, sus atractivos y encantos, colaborando enormemente al desarrollo turístico que a tantos beneficia.

Bravo por ello! Y sigue haciéndolo tan bien!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Muchisimas gracias Miguel - Málaga, mi ciudad adoptiva, está en mi corazón.

• 1 month later...

Hi Campolady....I have read this thread in its entirety and many others you reply to and we are planning our whole day in Malaga. Interestingly my hubby and I are on one cruise, my brother and his partner on another cruise, both porting in Malaga on May 13, 2017 so we thought we would like to spend our day together in Malaga but it presents some challenges and I would appreciate your help in planning our day.

Our port time is 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Their port time is 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Hubby and I had originally planned to do the HOHO bus with Malaga Experience Card going to the Automobile & Fashion Museum, doing the walking tour and boat tour that goes along with the card and anything else we could fit in.

Now we are certain that the walking tour and boat tour will have to be eliminated.

So here is what we are thinking we would like to see and I would like your opinion on to best execute these visits most efficiently (whether that is on HOHO or city bus or taxi). Please tell us your opinion on what to keep and what to take off the list if all is not able to be done without rushing too much.

For myself and my hubby the Automobile and Fashion Museum is a must

The Cathedral

The Roman Theatre

Alcazaba

Castillo Gibralfaro

Mercado de Atarazanas

La Concepcion Jardin Botanico Historico de Malaga OR Malaga Park (I like birds and plants)

Picasso Museum

Casa de Guardia

Tapas somewhere maybe churros however there is no real need to eat because of their late docking time.

So we would have the late start of as quick as possible after their docking of 11 am and we would need to be back to the port, I would say around 5 p.m. I think our all aboard will be 5:30 given recent experience. I have a good feeling you are going to say this is too much to try to fit in so I would like to know the order of visiting you suggest and how best to get there be it HOHO, taxi, bus or walking

In addition, my hubby and I will be free from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. their docking time so we are wondering what could be taken in while waiting in the dock area or close by.

Thanks!

I have just read that the HOHO ticket allows free admittance and a bus ride from the main bus terminal to Botanical Gardens Finca la Concepcion. If you know how this works if you keep this in our day, please provide any details you may know on this as well.

Thanks!

Hi Campolady....I have read this thread in its entirety and many others you reply to and we are planning our whole day in Malaga. Interestingly my hubby and I are on one cruise, my brother and his partner on another cruise, both porting in Malaga on May 13, 2017 so we thought we would like to spend our day together in Malaga but it presents some challenges and I would appreciate your help in planning our day.

Our port time is 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Their port time is 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Hubby and I had originally planned to do the HOHO bus with Malaga Experience Card going to the Automobile & Fashion Museum, doing the walking tour and boat tour that goes along with the card and anything else we could fit in.

Now we are certain that the walking tour and boat tour will have to be eliminated.

So here is what we are thinking we would like to see and I would like your opinion on to best execute these visits most efficiently (whether that is on HOHO or city bus or taxi). Please tell us your opinion on what to keep and what to take off the list if all is not able to be done without rushing too much.

For myself and my hubby the Automobile and Fashion Museum is a must

The Cathedral

The Roman Theatre

Alcazaba

Castillo Gibralfaro

Mercado de Atarazanas

La Concepcion Jardin Botanico Historico de Malaga OR Malaga Park (I like birds and plants)

Picasso Museum

Casa de Guardia

Tapas somewhere maybe churros however there is no real need to eat because of their late docking time.

So we would have the late start of as quick as possible after their docking of 11 am and we would need to be back to the port, I would say around 5 p.m. I think our all aboard will be 5:30 given recent experience. I have a good feeling you are going to say this is too much to try to fit in so I would like to know the order of visiting you suggest and how best to get there be it HOHO, taxi, bus or walking

In addition, my hubby and I will be free from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. their docking time so we are wondering what could be taken in while waiting in the dock area or close by.

Thanks!

Everything on your itinerary is easily do-able within your time constraints EXCEPT for the La Concepcion Gardens. All places on your list are within a few minutes walk of each other in the heart of the old city apart from Gibralfaro Castle which I would do first by taxi (about 14 Euros for 4 people). After viewing the castle take either another taxi or the bus back down the hill and go to the Alcazaba; after this everywhere should be visited on foot. The Roman Theatre is immediately below the Alcazaba so this should be your next stop followed by a 5 minutes walk to the Picasso Musuem. Next visit the Ataranzas Market and finish at Casa de Guardia that is immediately opposite the market main entrance. After sampling the Malaga wines and some tapas at Casa de Guardia I would then take a taxi back to the port terminal.

Whilst waiting for your brother you could take the port shuttle bus to the Park and return in time for meeting them as they their disembark or just walk around the 'Muelle Uno' development of shops and bars within the port area.

Hope this helps.

Edited by campolady

Everything on your itinerary is easily do-able within your time constraints EXCEPT for the La Concepcion Gardens. All places on your list are within a few minutes walk of each other in the heart of the old city apart from Gibralfaro Castle which I would do first by taxi (about 14 Euros for 4 people). After viewing the castle take either another taxi or the bus back down the hill and go to the Alcazaba; after this everywhere should be visited on foot. The Roman Theatre is immediately below the Alcazaba so this should be your next stop followed by a 5 minutes walk to the Picasso Musuem. Next visit the Ataranzas Market and finish at Casa de Guardia that is immediately opposite the market main entrance. After sampling the Malaga wines and some tapas at Casa de Guardia I would then take a taxi back to the port terminal.

Whilst waiting for your brother you could take the port shuttle bus to the Park and return in time for meeting them as they their disembark or just walk around the 'Muelle Uno' development of shops and bars within the port area.

Hope this helps.

Thanks this is helpful.....the only thing.....the definite must do is the Automotive museum....what is your recommendation of how to fit that in and how to get there.

Thanks!

Thanks this is helpful.....the only thing.....the definite must do is the Automotive museum....what is your recommendation of how to fit that in and how to get there.

Thanks!

After visiting 'Casa de Guardia' you could take either a txi or bus number 16 from the Alameda Principal (road that the main entrance of Casa de Guardia is on) direct to the Motor Museum; according to its website it is open all day so does not shut for siesta as many places do.

By the way, the market starts closing at 1.30 p.m. so make sure you get there by 1.15 at the latest.

Edited by campolady

After visiting 'Casa de Guardia' you could take either a txi or bus number 16 from the Alameda Principal (road that the main entrance of Casa de Guardia is on) direct to the Motor Museum; according to its website it is open all day so does not shut for siesta as many places do.

By the way, the market starts closing at 1.30 p.m. so make sure you get there by 1.15 at the latest.

Thank you very much! So do you believe with our time constraints we can still fit the motor museum at the end?

Since my brother arrives 11:00 a.m. what is the best order given closing times and seista do you think we should see the sights?

The sights are:

Automotive Museum 11:15 - 12.45

Mercado de Atarazanas 1:00 - 1:45

Casa de Guardia 1:45 - 2:15?

The Cathedral 2:25 -3:00

Picasso Museum 3:05 - 3:30

The Roman Theatre 3:40 - 3:50

Castillo Gibralfaro Omit for us and 5:00 - 6:00 for brother.

Alcazaba 4:00 - 4:50, return to ship for us, brother to Cibralfaro

So I am thinking of this.....get taxi from cruise port to Auto museum, hopefully arriving there by 11:15, leaving there at 12:45 by taxi to Mercado de Atarazanas, arriving 1:00, stay until 1:45, then move to Casa de Guardia for half hour for drinks and tapas, then the cathedral allowing 30 minutes visit, Picasso museum (not overly interested but thought we could take a quick peek) 30 minutes, then the Roman theatre and then alcazaba. Myself and hubby will have to end our day there and get taxi back to ship, my brother could go on to Gibralfaro.

Does this seems reasonable or do you have another suggestion of order and times for the above? With the Mercado closing at 2, we have to get to it fairly early in our day.

If my timing is really bad, please give us suggestions as to what to do and what to eliminate, bearing in mind we want to see the Auto museum.

Thanks again for all your help!

Thank you very much! So do you believe with our time constraints we can still fit the motor museum at the end?

Since my brother arrives 11:00 a.m. what is the best order given closing times and seista do you think we should see the sights?

The sights are:

Automotive Museum 11:15 - 12.45

Mercado de Atarazanas 1:00 - 1:45

Casa de Guardia 1:45 - 2:15?

The Cathedral 2:25 -3:00

Picasso Museum 3:05 - 3:30

The Roman Theatre 3:40 - 3:50

Castillo Gibralfaro Omit for us and 5:00 - 6:00 for brother.

Alcazaba 4:00 - 4:50, return to ship for us, brother to Cibralfaro

So I am thinking of this.....get taxi from cruise port to Auto museum, hopefully arriving there by 11:15, leaving there at 12:45 by taxi to Mercado de Atarazanas, arriving 1:00, stay until 1:45, then move to Casa de Guardia for half hour for drinks and tapas, then the cathedral allowing 30 minutes visit, Picasso museum (not overly interested but thought we could take a quick peek) 30 minutes, then the Roman theatre and then alcazaba. Myself and hubby will have to end our day there and get taxi back to ship, my brother could go on to Gibralfaro.

Does this seems reasonable or do you have another suggestion of order and times for the above? With the Mercado closing at 2, we have to get to it fairly early in our day.

If my timing is really bad, please give us suggestions as to what to do and what to eliminate, bearing in mind we want to see the Auto museum.

Thanks again for all your help!

With such a tight schedule I would seriously suggest that you omit the Picasso Museum as you say this isn't of great interest to you. With queues your timings may be a bit optimistic for the visits to the Cathedral and Casa de Guardia although you will probably pull a bit of time back at the market.

By omitting the Picasso Museum - and traffic permitting for your taxi journeys - your itinerary then sounds quite feasible.

Edited by campolady

Thank you Campolady! You have helped immensely. I have looked and looked and can't find out what a good amount of time is for visiting Alcazaba and Gibralfaro....but since you didn't say anything about that, I am guessing you feel that the time I alotted is good, albeit perhaps a bit rushed.

Thank you Campolady! You have helped immensely. I have looked and looked and can't find out what a good amount of time is for visiting Alcazaba and Gibralfaro....but since you didn't say anything about that, I am guessing you feel that the time I alotted is good, albeit perhaps a bit rushed.

Your time allocation for Gibralfaro and the Alcazaba is fine - you may even gain a few minutes. Can't remember for sure but I doubt that you will get more than a partial view of the Bull Ring from the Alcazaba.

Campolady......thank you for all the help you have given me. I have another question......we are arriving to Malaga on one ship and my brother is arriving to Malaga on another ship. What I would like to know is, it looks like the ships will dock very near to each other. Do you know if that is true?

What I am trying to do is figure out how we will find each other. They won't have a cell phone.

Any suggestions?

Campolady......thank you for all the help you have given me. I have another question......we are arriving to Malaga on one ship and my brother is arriving to Malaga on another ship. What I would like to know is, it looks like the ships will dock very near to each other. Do you know if that is true?

What I am trying to do is figure out how we will find each other. They won't have a cell phone.

Any suggestions?

As far as I am aware there is only one pier for docking - or for tender boat arrivals should one ship anchor at sea - so you can't miss each other; I would suggest you arrange to meet immediately outside the terminal building.

Edited by campolady

Hi campolady - you've been very generous with all of us - sharing your knowledge of the area and offering suggestions - thank you!

I'm struggling with whether to make the day trip out to Alhambra or simply spend the day in Malaga. I'm traveling with my 17 year old daughter and my mother. All of us are in good health, but my mother gets unhappy with me when we walk long distances (like 8km).

We will be in port on Sunday August 6. We'd like to attend mass that day either at the Cathedral in Malaga or near Alhambra.

Would love your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

Eileen

Hi campolady - you've been very generous with all of us - sharing your knowledge of the area and offering suggestions - thank you!

I'm struggling with whether to make the day trip out to Alhambra or simply spend the day in Malaga. I'm traveling with my 17 year old daughter and my mother. All of us are in good health, but my mother gets unhappy with me when we walk long distances (like 8km).

We will be in port on Sunday August 6. We'd like to attend mass that day either at the Cathedral in Malaga or near Alhambra.

Thanks!

Eileen

Personally I wouldn't consider visiting the Alhambra in the heat of August so I would suggest you stay in Malaga and explore the cooler streets of the Old City. Have a look at this page about the Cathedral with a click link to Mass times - services in the Cathedral are awe inspiring. If you take the shuttle bus from the port cruise terminal your Mum would not have to do too much walking. Sunday is a great day in Malaga as it buzzes with local families visiting for the day.

If you do decide to go to the Alhambra be warned that there are a lot of steps that your Mum may find tiring so make sure that you take bottles of water with you; it is a LOT hotter inland than on the coast. I do not know Granada well so am unsure of which Church is closest to the Alhambra but will make enquiries for you.

Edited by campolady

Thanks - that is super helpful!

I hadn't considered the temperature. It sounds like spending the day in Malaga will be more relaxing and enjoyable. I'll continue research on activities for us to do there. To include a bit of wandering and souvenir shopping. Will most shops be open on Sunday? I saw your previous post about Malaga wines - will be sure to find some to enjoy.

I don't see your link to the mass times at the Cathedral, but I did some internet searching and it appears to be:

Sundays and public holidays: 9, 10, 11:30, 13 and 19 h.

Do you know if any of these are in Latin?

Thanks - that is super helpful!

I hadn't considered the temperature. It sounds like spending the day in Malaga will be more relaxing and enjoyable. I'll continue research on activities for us to do there. To include a bit of wandering and souvenir shopping. Will most shops be open on Sunday? I saw your previous post about Malaga wines - will be sure to find some to enjoy.

I don't see your link to the mass times at the Cathedral, but I did some internet searching and it appears to be:

Sundays and public holidays: 9, 10, 11:30, 13 and 19 h.

Do you know if any of these are in Latin?

I think you have made the right decision. Sorry don't know about the Mass languages but would think they are moist likely to be in Spanish rather than Latin. Major shops will not be open on Sundays but some of the smaller, privately owned (and more interesting) shops will be. All bars, restaurants, museums etc. will be open.

Re. Granada:-

I did some research for you about services in Granada and found this link http://www.misas.org/buscar/?location=Granada&date=06-Ago-2017&c_feast=&hh=&name=&address=&postal_code=&province=&language=&ritus=&public=&music=

Apparently there is a Church actually within the Alhambra comlex by the Arab Baths but this doesn't seem to be used for routine Masses only on special occasions.

Thanks!

Eileen

Absolutely agree with Campolady - do not consider Alhambra in August! Apart from the time in the Nazrid Palace you tend to be outside and there is little cover from the sun. I have been to Alhambra in May and September and even then it was hot,hot,hot.

I think you have made the right decision. Sorry don't know about the Mass languages but would think they are moist likely to be in Spanish rather than Latin. Major shops will not be open on Sundays but some of the smaller, privately owned (and more interesting) shops will be. All bars, restaurants, museums etc. will be open.

Re. Granada:-

I did some research for you about services in Granada and found this link http://www.misas.org/buscar/?location=Granada&date=06-Ago-2017&c_feast=&hh=&name=&address=&postal_code=&province=&language=&ritus=&public=&music=

Apparently there is a Church actually within the Alhambra comlex by the Arab Baths but this doesn't seem to be used for routine Masses only on special occasions.

I'd learned of the church in the Alhambra complex, but nothing more. I'm feeling very comfortable with the decision not to make the excursion there. We will have fun exploring Malaga.

As silly as this seems, do most of the cafes/casual dining spots offer wifi for customers? I'm happy not checking email, but mom and daughter really enjoy checking in with family. The tapas place (Cortijo de Pepe) you've recommended to others seems like a great place. Do you know if they offer internet service while dining?

Absolutely agree with Campolady - do not consider Alhambra in August! Apart from the time in the Nazrid Palace you tend to be outside and there is little cover from the sun. I have been to Alhambra in May and September and even then it was hot,hot,hot.

VMax1700, thanks for the additional confirmation that Alhambra in August is not the best idea. Appreciate your reinforcing the decision not to go. :)

I'd learned of the church in the Alhambra complex, but nothing more. I'm feeling very comfortable with the decision not to make the excursion there. We will have fun exploring Malaga.

As silly as this seems, do most of the cafes/casual dining spots offer wifi for customers? I'm happy not checking email, but mom and daughter really enjoy checking in with family. The tapas place (Cortijo de Pepe) you've recommended to others seems like a great place. Do you know if they offer internet service while dining?

Don't know for sure about Cortijo de Pepe but most bars now offers free WiFi as long as you have at least one drink.

Edited by campolady