Avalon Dress Code...

SunFunCruiser

So, what is the typical dress for dinner style on a river cruise? I am trying not to overpack.

I pack a pair of tailored black slacks and wear them most nights with different tops. Most of mine are jersey. For fall and winter, I add a sparkly sweater or two. I also pack a black dress to wear 2 nights and wear it with belt, scarf, etc. to accessorize. I like a fine gauge knit for colder months and a simple jersey wrap dress for spring/summer.

DH wears dress slacks with collared shirts to dinner; button downs for a couple of nights and adds a nice vest or sweater in cooler months.

River cruising is much more casual than ocean cruising. I think Country Club casual is a good description. There is no need for evening gowns. On our 1st Avalon cruise, there was one dressier night. Most women wore black pants and a sparkly or dressier top. No jeans or shorts in the main dining room for dinner. Shorts were okay for lunch. Very few men wear a sports coat so that can be left at home. Very few men even wore a tie. Some women wore a long skirt or maxi dress. The main thing is to dress so that you are comfortable.

I didn't notice any night being dressier than others on our Avalon cruise (Dec 2014). I wore black pants & top or a black merino dress most nights. My entire packing list attached. I did have a couple of dressier scarves I wore at night (my daytime scarves were bright & large cashmere for warmth and decoration since I was mostly in black all the time)

Neither my husband nor I travel with jeans (too heavy, take too long to dry). He wore pants & a shirt/sweater every night - didn't bring a jacket with him.

River Cruise capsule.pdf

So, what is the typical dress for dinner style on a river cruise? I am trying not to overpack.

Just off an Avalon Amsterdam to Budapest on Sept 25. Dress on board was very casual but at dinner (most nites) everyone spiffed up a bit. Men in chinos or slacks with button down shirts and ladies in Chico's cute outfits. Dressy tops, strappy Sandels (not heels) or ballet slippers.

On occasion after a very long and grueling day, it was all we and others could do to drag ourselves into the dining room and in what we wore all day. This didn't not happen often but it did happen. For the most part I would say evening was Country Club Casual and for ladies I just say Chico's describes it best!

Take a pair of cute and comfy sandals. Your feet will thank you after being in walking shoes all day. Those tired feet need a change of environment !

Just back from Creativity to Normandy. Dressier evenings were second night and next to last night. Some ladies interpreted those events as cocktail or even dressier; gentlemen in sports jackets, ties optional. I wore black short suit skirt- light wool with stretch, paired with sleeveless top and scarf wrap, or, Ivory Anne Fontaine blouse ( because it's France!). Added some costume jewelry and a very small purse to hold room card and lipstick. Flats only, no heels in my suitcase this trip. Other nights, ladies were in pants and tops/jackets, or casual skirt or dress outfits. Very nicely dressed cruisers! Don't stress- no photographers on board!! And, if you stay on in a European city, you must be able to navigate city streets and cobblestones to get to/ from restaurants!

As for rest of day-Daytime for all was generally tailored pants and walking shoes. Our trip had very few jeans-wearers. (Terrible with rain!) I was fine with leather walking shoes, leather jacket ( works as suit jacket), rain coat with hood, packable down vest, black pants and black or gray knit tops, scarf, hat, gloves. Bathing suit optional for top deck hot tub!

Enjoy your trip. Don't make the luggage too heavy!