Voltage Converter

mame42

Looking for suggestions for an EASY to use, inexpensive travel adapter to use charging my tablet and phone in UK hotel. Every thing I see online seems complicated. I want something that I can simply plug in without interchanging various parts and plugs.

Looking for suggestions for an EASY to use, inexpensive travel adapter to use charging my tablet and phone in UK hotel. Every thing I see online seems complicated. I want something that I can simply plug in without interchanging various parts and plugs.

To the UK all the time as my parents live there. I always use a simple $10 adaptor from the drug store. There is no voltage coverting, but you don't need to covert if you are charging an iPad, iPhone or Kindle. They charge just fine using the adaptor.

Edited by Theodorable

You should be able to find a plug adapter over there. I forgot mine last time and I bought one in London, I think in Boots (British pharmacy chain).

You may be tempted to buy one on the airport before you leave the US, but be careful. The ones I saw at the Brookstone kiosk in the US were designed to adapt plugs from other countries to US sockets, which is the opposite of what you need.

To the UK all the time as my parents live there. I always use a simple $10 adaptor from the drug store. There is no voltage coverting, but you don't need to covert if you are charging an iPad, iPhone or Kindle. They charge just fine using the adaptor.

Drugstore in US or UK?

Since tablets and smartphones/Iphones are 110/220 volts, you just need an adapter.

Here is a 3-pack from Amazon:

"Ceptics Grounded Universal Plug Adapter for UK (Type G) - 3 Pack". Cost $7.00 with more than 4000 sales.

Keep in mind that the adaptor for the UK is different then the standard 2 round prong adaptor used in most of Western Europe. You can Google the subject and look at pictures of the various adaptors. They are sold in nearly any travel/luggage store, Walmart, some drug stores, etc. There are also many adaptor sets for sale on the web in places like Amazon where they have sets for less then $10. If you are charging electronics that are labeled for 110-240V 50-60 HZ they will work without any kind of Voltage "Converter."

Hank

Drugstore in US or UK?

I used to be able to find them in Walgreens in the US, but last time I looked, I couldn't find any. As Hank says, the UK plug is different from European plugs. It's large with three heavy prongs.

The drugstore I bought mine in was in the UK.

Try Best Buy, a travel/luggage store, or the luggage area of a department store. $5-10 max.

Try borrowing one at your hotel in the UK, or buy one in WH Smith or perhaps a larger Boots store.

Edited by iancal

One of these simple adapters should do the job....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0P2GLM

If you have more than one device and value sleep (not interested in waking up every few hours to swap devices to charge), I love my universal power bar. One adapter, plug-in my devices (and partner's), and then go to sleep. Wake to see everything fully charged for the day.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N13DC9O