No Trays in Lido

SonnekeH

That's the answer! Go to Dive-in, order something, get it on a tray, then dump it and take the tray to the Lido.

Thought about it, but the trays from the hamburger stand are really small, not room for a dinner plate, at least with a salad or beverage.

One more thing I wanted to say, if taking away the option of using a tray saves on food costs, it would have been nice if they took that savings and hired additional workers. Alas.

I have taken my last cruise. I am not going to step foot on a cruise ship just to find I am captive to the newest penny-pinching scheme thought of by some MBA. Better they think of a luxury that costs less than the value added.

Thought about it, but the trays from the hamburger stand are really small, not room for a dinner plate, at least with a salad or beverage.

One more thing I wanted to say, if taking away the option of using a tray saves on food costs, it would have been nice if they took that savings and hired additional workers. Alas.

I have taken my last cruise. I am not going to step foot on a cruise ship just to find I am captive to the newest penny-pinching scheme thought of by some MBA. Better they think of a luxury that costs less than the value added.

... as noted above, a tray from the Dollar Store would only set you back US $1 which is exactly the amount you said you'd be willing to pay HAL for a Lido tray ... so what's the problem?

Better beverage service is related to the tray issue. Without a tray, it is more difficult to get a beverage at the same time you get your food. The plates are so small that you really can't put a glass or a coffee mug on the plate alongside your food. Plus it would be safer if hot beverages were served rather than carried in passengers' hands.

Someone unthread mentioned having to get up an extra time for the beverage. This is germane to the issue.

Spot on!

... this Thread is supposed to be about trays in the Lido, so let's get back on topic ...

If you think that the ensuing related discussion is off topic I suggest you hit the red triangle and let the moderators do their job without you trying to do it for them.

As hard as not having trays is on those with disabilities, it is also hard on solos trying to put together their breakfast or lunch from the buffet. With a couple, one can hold the table while one gets the drinks or dessert or whatever. If a solo, if you leave the table to get another cup of coffee or water, someone grabs it and you are without a seat when you return. Or that likely would be the time the Lido stewards would be all kinds of efficient and would clear away your dish, napkin and napkin etc...... :rolleyes:

Sometimes it seems hard to recognize HAL gives consideration to comfort and convenient of their guests when making these money saving choices.

Edited by sail7seas

As hard as not having trays is on those with disabilities, it is also hard on solos trying to put together their breakfast or lunch from the buffet. With a couple, one can hold the table while one gets the drinks or dessert or whatever. If a solo, if you leave the table to get another cup of coffee or water, someone grabs it and you are without a seat when you return. Or that likely would be the time the Lido stewards would be all kinds of efficient and would clear away your dish, napkin and napkin etc...... :rolleyes:

Sometimes it seems hard to recognize HAL gives consideration to comfort and convenient of their guests when making these money saving choices.

I just tip the chair up to show I am coming back .... never had a problem by doing that.

Susan

I agree that stewards usually will understand you'll be coming back but others seeking a table pay it no attention. Empty table = they sit down. (Not all, of course, but some.)

Usually DW and I have our meals together, but on occasion we find ourselves headed to the Lido on our own. I find the easiest approach is to grab a glass of juice or water first, then find a table. With a full glass and a rolled napkin/utensil package sitting beside it, I've never had anyone take my place while I headed off for food.

It sounds like you made a good decision for yourself.

That's the answer! Go to Dive-in, order something, get it on a tray, then dump it and take the tray to the Lido.

So go to Dive In, order food, throw it away just get a tray to go to the Lido to get food? :confused::confused::confused:

This is why I leave my paperback book next to a cup of coffee when I get my food or another cup of coffee. It shows that the spot is taken and that I am returning.

As a younger person on HAL (55) if I saw someone needing help carrying there food I would be more than happy to help them tray or not. But personally I would like a tray so that I don't have to make multiple trips to the food line. I like getting everything at once from apps to dessert.