No Trays in Lido

SonnekeH

I'd settle for the larger plates. They used to have platter-shaped plates that could hold a meal decently. A bowl of fruit and a glass of OJ would fit on the platter next to my eggs and toast. Now the plates are smaller than a normal dinner plate, and there's no room to even put a glass of OJ on it with my breakfast.

On one of the CD's Guest Shows a food manager stated there had been a 30% drop in food waste after trays were removed.

That's a lot of savings when you think of ship, fleet, corporation.

Make clear, that is not 30% of food wasted. It is 30% reduction in food waste.

You know how they could also lessen food waste? Serve decent food. I have a real problem with wasted food. I had periods of time when I had real hunger issues, it pains me to throw out food.

Every time I threw out food it was on HAL because the food was not edible (in my opinion). I complained there were bugs in the lunch meat. I complained the 'sushi' was not kept cold. I bit in to the halibut to see it was actually tilapia. Cold food that was warm and hot food that was cool. Desserts that were eye appealing but the gelatin had not gelled and fruit that was way passed prime. And what is with the drive in hamburger stand? Grilled onions and mushrooms that turned out to be reconstituted freeze dried things (heated in a microwave?). And the nearby taco station, I'm sure the waste there came from food that never touched a customers plate, tray or doggie bag.

Too much blaming the customer and darn little looking inward for the problems. I am less likely to throw out a bread roll if, A. it has not become soggy sitting next to the watery broccoli, B. the bread is not stale.

Again these steps will cost money. Maybe more than one dollar, but certainly less than five. Put it on my bill, it makes me angry to have to throw away food. Then I'm forced to call room service and order the steak sandwich for the third time on a week long cruise.

Trays belong to school and prison cafetarias, not onboard cruise ships.

I spend around 250 days a year in Hotels, I have never, ever, seen any landside buffet that had trays. If you need assistance, ask a friendly crewmember to help out, or go to a sit-down venue.

Make clear, that is not 30% of food wasted. It is 30% reduction in food waste.

You know how they could also lessen food waste? Serve decent food. I have a real problem with wasted food. I had periods of time when I had real hunger issues, it pains me to throw out food.

Every time I threw out food it was on HAL because the food was not edible (in my opinion). I complained there were bugs in the lunch meat. I complained the 'sushi' was not kept cold. I bit in to the halibut to see it was actually tilapia. Cold food that was warm and hot food that was cool. Desserts that were eye appealing but the gelatin had not gelled and fruit that was way passed prime. And what is with the drive in hamburger stand? Grilled onions and mushrooms that turned out to be reconstituted freeze dried things (heated in a microwave?). And the nearby taco station, I'm sure the waste there came from food that never touched a customers plate, tray or doggie bag.

Too much blaming the customer and darn little looking inward for the problems. I am less likely to throw out a bread roll if, A. it has not become soggy sitting next to the watery broccoli, B. the bread is not stale.

Again these steps will cost money. Maybe more than one dollar, but certainly less than five. Put it on my bill, it makes me angry to have to throw away food. Then I'm forced to call room service and order the steak sandwich for the third time on a week long cruise.

With all of the terrible luck you seem to encounter with the Lido food, I don't understand why you don't eat elsewhere. Personally, I like the food in the Lido, i don't have a problem with no trays and I've never found bugs in my meat, but with your misfortune, I'd definitely find another dining venue.

I spend around 250 days a year in Hotels, I have never, ever, seen any landside buffet that had trays. If you need assistance, ask a friendly crewmember to help out, or go to a sit-down venue.

Now that you mention that, you're right. The only place I ever see trays is in a cafeteria. Even hometown buffet doesn't have trays (I go there for breakfast with the kids).

Um... the Lido is a cafeteria. With people "dishing up" the food as you request it. They're a bit friendlier than the school lunch lady, but that doesn't change the nature of the venue. And, as you say, cafeterias have trays.

Um... the Lido is a cafeteria. With people "dishing up" the food as you request it. They're a bit friendlier than the school lunch lady, but that doesn't change the nature of the venue. And, as you say, cafeterias have trays.

I disagree, it is a buffet. A lot of the food is self serve. Hometown buffet and golden corral also serve some of their food at stations, they are definitely buffets.

I disagree, it is a buffet. A lot of the food is self serve. Hometown buffet and golden corral also serve some of their food at stations, they are definitely buffets.

You can disagree all you want, but Hometown is also a cafeteria.

Lots of schools have fruit, salad and bread stations where you serve yourself, but that doesn't make it any less a cafeteria.

As defined at dictionary.com, a buffet is "a meal laid out on a table or sideboard so that guests may serve themselves." Not be served from behind a counter by staff.

You can disagree all you want, but Hometown is also a cafeteria.

Lots of schools have fruit, salad and bread stations where you serve yourself, but that doesn't make it any less a cafeteria.

As defined at dictionary.com, a buffet is "a meal laid out on a table or sideboard so that guests may serve themselves." Not be served from behind a counter by staff.

Well them in that case, you're establishing that cafeterias also don't use trays. So that works for me. :)

how fortunate you are to have no disability issues and that you do not need to ask for assistance

how fortunate you are to have no disability issues and that you do not need to ask for assistance

What does that have to do with trays? I have a disability and I do need assistance. A tray would not help me. It might make things simpler for my husband but it is not necessary. We do just fine without them and if I go in alone them someone always offers me assistance.

Edited by sherilyn70

Definitive ruling, huh?

Some people don't like to make one trip for a salad, another for bread, another for the main course and another for a beverage. Trays there doesn't mean one has to use the trays, it just means it is there as a consideration. I've already stated I would be willing to chip in for the increased price of wasted food and the labor needed to replenish them.

McDonalds and Burger King offer trays. Sizzler Steakhouse uses trays. Buster BBQ, a Portland landmark uses trays. Sweet Tomato uses trays. Plenty of Chinese and India buffets use trays. HAL used to offer trays until they went on a penny-pinching cost cutting model. By the way, the hamburger stand on HAL uses trays and they only serve like four menu items.

Definitive ruling, huh?

By the way, the hamburger stand on HAL uses trays and they only serve like four menu items.

That's the answer! Go to Dive-in, order something, get it on a tray, then dump it and take the tray to the Lido.

What does that have to do with trays? I have a disability and I do need assistance. A tray would not help me. It might make things simpler for my husband but it is not necessary. We do just fine without them and if I go in alone them someone always offers me assistance.

Agree with you on this.. I too am disabled & must use a cane when walking long distances.. After my hip operation I asked the Orthopedic Dr. if I could get a temporary disabled parking permit & he said Quote You need a permanent disabled parking permit due to your condition. Unquote I usually find a table first, park my cane & then go to get coffee.. When DH returns with his meal I then go to the buffet sans my cane.. Often DH will help me but normally a crew member will see me, grabs whatever I have in my hand & takes me to our table.. I'm actually better off getting up several times to get things from the buffet.. By moving around, it helps to ease the pain in both my back & my hips.. Trying my best not to have the other hip or a back operation..

Edited by serendipity1499

Where is that Like Button !!!!!!... Sorry, but we are all going to have to get use to it. As a Cunader I've just looked into this board ( will be stepping out of my Cunard comfort zone next April as I've booked the new Koningsdam for 2016.

Many cruise lines have done away with trays including Cunard ( Queen Mary 2 only just recently)

I'm in agreement with this decision of no trays , so many folk have to pile their trays high...picking up everything in sight ( especially our American cousins ....why does everything have to be soooo big in America ;) .....Ask any onboard Food & Beverage Manager and they'll tell you the waste of food has been cut by almost 50% !

Sorry, but we are all going to have to get use to it.

Many cruise lines have done away with trays including Cunard ( Queen Mary 2 only just recently)

So, any change that we don't like, well tough. And all cruise lines should copy each other.

Is that the gist of it?

I want a tray ... Heck, charge me an extra buck and you'll have made a customer happy and made a profit of $0.90 more.

Hear! Hear!! Give us back our trays!

... since you know that HAL has discontinued providing trays in the Lido, seems to me the simplest solution would be to purchase a tray (of whatever size you find appropriate) at a Dollar Store and bring it with you on your next cruise ...

My biggest issue with HAL Lido is lack of table side beverage servers. This is a major service deficit. I've also noticed the service line staff has really been cut, lines move very slowly and generally you have to get in multiple lines. Princess excels in tableside beverage service as do all the premium lines.

By the time you get the HAL Lido food, find the table, walk around looking for beverages the food is cold, that is if it was hot to begin with.

My biggest issue with HAL Lido is lack of table side beverage servers. This is a major service deficit. I've also noticed the service line staff has really been cut, lines move very slowly and generally you have to get in multiple lines. Princess excels in tableside beverage service as do all the premium lines.

By the time you get the HAL Lido food, find the table, walk around looking for beverages the food is cold, that is if it was hot to begin with.

Princess is very good about getting beverages. I never have to wait more than a minute or two.

Princess is very good about getting beverages. I never have to wait more than a minute or two.

... this Thread is supposed to be about trays in the Lido, so let's get back on topic ...

I suppose it varies from ship to ship, but our experience on the Maasdam last month was very similar, never needing to wait more than a minute or two before getting beverage service.

... this Thread is supposed to be about trays in the Lido, so let's get back on topic ...

Better beverage service is related to the tray issue. Without a tray, it is more difficult to get a beverage at the same time you get your food. The plates are so small that you really can't put a glass or a coffee mug on the plate alongside your food. Plus it would be safer if hot beverages were served rather than carried in passengers' hands.