Need Advice on Russian Tourist Visas

Rumpymuffin

My husband and I were in Russia last year and spent 3 days before a river cruise in St Petersberg. IF you decide to get your Russian Visa I have to tell you this is a very easy city to navigate on your own using public transporation. The Metro is wonderful and the people are delightful and very helpful. On more than one occasion we were standing on a corner checking our map and a stranger came up to us asking if we needed directions.

I would recommend visiting Peterhof which is easy to get to by hydrofoil. The boats are located just below the Hermitage. The ride is very scenic and relaxing and takes approx. 30. minutes. Once you arrive the grounds are massive and filled with incredible fountains, gardens and statuary. The palace is amazing as well.

The Church of Spilled Blood is very accessible by Metro along with neighboring shopping areas. It would be a waste of money to take an organized tour to this area.

The Fabrege Museum opened approx. 2 years ago and is amazing. When we were there admittance was very limited but I found a local tour company on the internet who purchased our tickets in advance and also picked us up at our hotel for approx. $60pp. (Sorry I don't have that company name anymore). Check the internet, this museum is worth seeing.

I definitely recommend using the ship's tour's for the Hermitage and Catherine's Palace.

I don't know what your itinerary is for the rest of your trip, but it is very nice having your Russian Visa for other Russian ports of call where you can go and explore on your own. We were so very impressed how gracious the Russian people were.

Enjoy your trip and hopefully expolring on your own!!

That happens with private tours also, as I KNOW that you well know.:p

By the way, 12 in a van or minibus isn't any more comfortable than 25 on a full sized bus, IMHO. The difference is in having control over the Tour content.

We were 4 on an Alla tour last month and it was wonderful. And a lot less then a ships tour. Probably half of what it would have cost us and we were in control of all of the places we wanted to see. And back on time. :):):)

We used SPB tour company and were able to set up group tours in 5 of the Baltic ports: Berlin, Talinn, St. Petersburg, Helsinki and Stockholm. The price was quite good, for a group of about 15. And the guides were excellent. They used Microphones and headphones as we walked abound the sights in SPB, so that we could hear the guide without the need for her to be shouting. An advantage of this arrangement is that they also take care of the Visa in Russia.

I suggest you use your roll call for your sailing and get a group together. I can recommend SPB tours, as Victoria is quite good. There are several other companies as mentioned in other posts.

I hope this helps. Enjoy your planning and the cruise.

Sent from Alice, my iPad using Tapatalk

We were 4 on an Alla tour last month and it was wonderful. And a lot less then a ships tour. Probably half of what it would have cost us and we were in control of all of the places we wanted to see. And back on time. :):):)

Another vote for SPB (though we have used Alla as well previously) - both outstanding. Choose based on itinerary, flexibility and price.

We used Alla tours as well. It was fabulous.

Most of the top companies are.

For the OP, even on board, we found the ship tried to put the fear of you know who into you that you had to use their tours or else get a Visa.

Only on the day before did the letter say, if you had a licensed private tour, Visa was not necessary.

The good guides all arrange it (like SPB, Alla, Red October, etc.) and there is absolutely no issue at all.

We did a ship's tour the first time we were in St. Petersburg and in the Baltics and last time we did private tours - what a difference :)

Edited by kazu

Like anything in life you have to be smart and do your homework. In just about every port we can fine private tours that are BETTER and less money than the ships tours. Again, do your HOMEWORK. :):)

You are welcome - this is what CC is all about :)

So true! Cruise Critic has vastly improved my cruise experience in so many ways I can't even count them...plus I've met some wonderful people on roll call threads, some of whom remain my friends years after our cruise.

I don't think this was mentioned but if you decide to do a day trip to Moscow I'd recommend flying rather than the train. The seats on the train were uncomfortable, the carriage lacking in A/C and on the way back the number of intox meandering passengers fairly high.

I don't know if Oceania offers this, but on my Crystal cruise they had an excursion to Moscow. We were in St. Petes for 3 days -- 2 of them we did a private tour, the 3rd we took the ship tour to Moscow, which did include the flight. This is one tour that I would highly recommend you go with the ship's offering. It was SO well organized and given the complications of the tour, and all that was included, well worth the money. If O offers one, take it! :)

• 1 month later...

For a Baltic cruise two years ago we chose SPB. They had a very nice and comprehensive multi-port offering including Rostok/Berlin, Stockholm, Helsinki, Tallinn and of course St Petersburg where we took their 2-day offering. The package price was lower than arranging tours in these ports separately. Vicky, the owner, kept in constant contact via email and met the ship on arrival and was there on departure to provide assistance and take any feedback. We were weather delayed into Sweden and moored 4-hours late in a small port south of Stockholm. SPB had transportation waiting at the new location, however, the ship (Celebrity Constellation) was unable to get everyone off (tendering) in time to permit touring. SPB automatically refunded the Stockholm portion of the package.

SPB also uses one dollar of each St Petersburg tour price to support a local orphanage. We brought two duffle bags filled with toys and coloring books, etc., which were graciously accepted by Vicky as soon as we cleared Russian immigration. No customs issues with the toys. SPB uses 16-passenger vans in St Petersburg. SPB tour guides in all ports were extremely knowledgeable and spoke excellent English.

Prior to the start of the cruise we received the same incorrect guidance on Russia and visa requirements from the cruise company. VISAs are NOT required if you are part of an organized tour arranged by a company certified to do business in Russia. Permission to enter Russia is arranged for you in advance. The ships, of course, push their tours using fear of not being able to disembark in St Petersburg since they charge two-to-three times the price for their tours.

Last thought. Fifty-odd cruises and we have never been delayed departing port by a local tour. Ships push this fear again to get you to buy their tours. Delayed twice by individuals: once for one hour departing Belfast for a transatlantic (she lost track of time!), and in several Caribbean ports on the same cruise by the same couple who were constantly late.

We used Alla Tours and were very satisfied. We had to give them our passport details in advance. We took our emailed confirmation with us through immigration and had no problems.

Three days in August with Alla and everything was great. Saw everything and each day back to the ship on time. This was our second time with Alla (about 6 years ago) and nothing changed. May have only got better. :):)