Alaskan cruise on Westerdam at the end of September?

js4rq

Hi!

We are returning to Hawaii in September next year, and will be doing a Caribbean cruise from Fort Lauderdale.

We are looking into the possibility of doing an Alaska cruise on Westerdam at the end of September. This sailing is on special, which makes it even tempting. And I like the idea of having an oceanview room, with a bathtub!

I am aware some tours may not be in operation as it will be towards the end of season, ie dog sledding, bear watching; however I am wondering if doing an Alaskan cruise in September is still worth doing? As least we can see the scenery, Glacier Bay etc? Can we still do a glacier flight at the end of September?

Any help would be great! :D

Cheers

If that is the last cruise of the season, the price can be awfully compelling. I didn't track the fare for 2015 but for 2014 at one point it was as low as $500 (all in) for an inside. I wouldn't likely travel from Australia specifically for this cruise but if you are doing your "walkabout" in North America at that time, sure I would do it. Some of the other downsides of the timing is shorter days but they are still long enough to see most things and of course your chances of it being pretty rainy are very high.

Being well prepared in your attire and accepting of more foul weather potential- goes a long way in this time frame. :)

I would also look at port times. The negative this late in the season for some- is the lack of daylight- expect 12 hours- 7a-7p. It doesn't matter to a lot of people, but some- it could be too severe a compromise.

Determine- what you are going to do in ports ? could- make it a priority in this selection choice as well.

Being well prepared in your attire and accepting of more foul weather potential- goes a long way in this time frame. :)
Agreed.... September welcomes storm chasers.... there's a reason why September has discount prices.