Now that we are 5* Mariners - a question please?

kazu

I know things are changing on HAL but dealing with what currently exists.....

Now that we are 5* Mariners, there seems to be two "huge" benefits. A free PG dinner and a culinary class.

How does the PG dinner work? Can you use one of your bookings and ask to invoke your free PG dinner? Or is there a card in your cabin with a set time? (if it's at 5:30 p.m. dining time, we may decide to forego this huge benefit).

the culinary classes - it seems many don't get them from reading the boards - do you need to go to the front desk?

Thanks if our 5*'s+ can help.

I was just booking our specialty dining on the Westerdam (which just opened) and wondered how it worked.

You just book the P/G when you want to dine. The charge is put on your bill and auto credit goes on for 5*. As for the class, I had never done that until my Alaska cruise last month. They had a special class for 5*, the class was by invitation and RSVP really a lot of fun. The only thing I haven't done is the SPA and I've been 5* since they went to that level. I'm planning to do that on my trip Oct 17th.

Edited by 2bout2c

You just book the P/G when you want to dine. The charge is put on your bill and auto credit goes on for 5*. As for the class, I had never done that until my Alaska cruise last month. They had a special class for 5*, the class was by invitation and RSVP really a lot of fun. The only thing I haven't done is the SPA and I've been 5* since they went to that level. I'm planning to do that on my trip Oct 17th.

THANK YOU :)

I forgot about the spa benefit. I'll have to remember that one.

Good news on the PG. We had booked a number and Le Cirque so that makes things easy :) THANK YOU very much :)

I meant to say in my original post that I did search but all I could find was difficulty in getting it honoured and difficulty getting the culinary class.

Things might change for 5* by the time we sail, I know, but it's nice to know how it works. I really appreciate it. Many thanks again :)

Thanks so much for asking this question, Jacqui. On our upcoming cruise, we will be newly minted five star Mariners as well and I was also wondering how the complimentary Pinnacle dinner would work.

The Pinnacle and Cirque just opened up on the website and I booked quite a few of them today.

Re: PG dinners, you get two per cruise. Book them and a credit is supposed to appear on your Onboard account - this has been hit and miss for us so be sure and check your account a few days after your first dinner to see if the credit has appeared. You then may have to deal with the Concierge or front office to get the credit on your account.

Re: the culinary class. This like so much else seems to vary by ship. The first time we were 5 star, we heard nothing. The second cruise as 5-star, we were called by the Culinary Host the day of embarkation, and asked if we wanted to attend. On the last cruise, we heard nothing until the morning of the last day when there was a notice in our box that our class was at such and such a time and if we did not attend, we would be charged. I took that one to the Concierge to handle.

Re: PG dinners, you get two per cruise. Book them and a credit is supposed to appear on your Onboard account - this has been hit and miss for us so be sure and check your account a few days after your first dinner to see if the credit has appeared. You then may have to deal with the Concierge or front office to get the credit on your account.

Re: the culinary class. This like so much else seems to vary by ship. The first time we were 5 star, we heard nothing. The second cruise as 5-star, we were called by the Culinary Host the day of embarkation, and asked if we wanted to attend. On the last cruise, we heard nothing until the morning of the last day when there was a notice in our box that our class was at such and such a time and if we did not attend, we would be charged. I took that one to the Concierge to handle.

Oh thank you :) more great information. I really do appreciate the help. I didn't realize it was two PG dinners. On a 33 day cruise, that is very handy.

thanks for the culinary class info - that's a huge help :)

When I pre-book Pinnacle on line, I pay the full amount at that time on my credit card. When we actually dine in Pinnacle, the free dinners are credited to shipboard Account. It has always happened seamlessly with no request or action on my part.

Congratulations on 5 ***** . Now you can work towards getting Platinum Medallion. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Oh thank you :) more great information. I really do appreciate the help. I didn't realize it was two PG dinners. On a 33 day cruise, that is very handy.

thanks for the culinary class info - that's a huge help :)

Is that two dinners pp or per cabin?

Thanks so much for asking this question, Jacqui. On our upcoming cruise, we will be newly minted five star Mariners as well and I was also wondering how the complimentary Pinnacle dinner would work.

The Pinnacle and Cirque just opened up on the website and I booked quite a few of them today.

Congratulations on being Five Star. :)

Enjoy the benefits.

Is that two dinners pp or per cabin?

I just went to check and it is two complimentary dinners for two people!

I guess that's another $58 OBC :)

Edited by kazu

When I pre-book Pinnacle on line, I pay the full amount at that time on my credit card. When we actually dine in Pinnacle, the free dinners are credited to shipboard Account. It has always happened seamlessly with no request or action on my part.

Congratulations on 5 ***** . Now you can work towards getting Platinum Medallion. :)

thank you Sail. I knew we had to pay the full amount and have but wasn't sure how it worked on board. Appreciate the info.

Yes, but it's a refundable OBC. :)

are you insinuating it won't be spent:p:D;)

I've never walked off a ship yet without a bill despite my best intentions.

I'm not too worried about a refund:p

Welcome to the 5 Star Club, Kazu!!!!

The two Pinnacle Dinners, for each person, are great. You do not have to tell the Pinnacle that they are the complimentary ones. Just watch your account and make sure the accounting is correct. Have had a bit of fuss getting this corrected once in a while.

Sign up early for the Cooking Class, as it sometimes sells out or is cancelled because of lack of interest.

Per Person :)

thanks - I went back to re-read and it sounded like 2 PG's but I think they mean for two people?

So basically one free PG = my obc just went down to $29 ;)

oh well. appreciate you letting us know.

Welcome to the 5 Star Club, Kazu!!!!

The two Pinnacle Dinners, for each person, are great. You do not have to tell the Pinnacle that they are the complimentary ones. Just watch your account and make sure the accounting is correct. Have had a bit of fuss getting this corrected once in a while.

Sign up early for the Cooking Class, as it sometimes sells out or is cancelled because of lack of interest.

Thank you.

Thank you so much - the HAl website is a bit vague.

So, it is two PG dinners for two people thanks to your post.

I appreciate the clarification.

Tons of talk on the boards about 4* but little on 5 and while the benefits are not huge, you might as well know what you have..

Thanks for the tip on the cooking class - appreciate it :)

thank you Silver to Gold - appreciate the help and advice - you can always be counted on :D

thanks - I went back to re-read and it sounded like 2 PG's but I think they mean for two people?

So basically one free PG = my obc just went down to $29 ;)

oh well. appreciate you letting us know.

Kazu

Further clarification (this thread isn't updating quickly enough!) Thanks for your kind words, above!

You are a 5 star and get 2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners.

Your DH, I assume, is also a 5 star, so he gets 2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners.

Go together, eh!

Edited by SilvertoGold

Kazu

Further clarification (this thread isn't updating quickly enough!) Thanks for your kind words, above!

You are a 5 star and get 2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners.

Your DH, I assume, is also a 5 star, so he gets 2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners.

Go together, eh!

thanks but no, DH is not 5* yet (he is doing Marley grrr). He is three days short. I started cruising long before he did.

So, in that case, I think we only get one dinner - no biggie - I just like to know what I have.

When I was 4* before he was he had my benefits but I guess this is different, I am so glad I asked - many thanks again :)

Congratulations! And to Jacqui, too.:)

Oh, rats. I assumed too much.

However, isn't is supposed to work that the lower level pax in the cabin assumes the higher pax's level?

Need to look this up!..................

OK: Mariner's Society page, under FAQS, #12 (see also #13) says what I have just wondered about above. Looks as if you guys are on for 2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners EACH!!!! Yay!!

You could email the Mariner Society and get written confirmation, which you would be well advised to take with you on the cruise!

Remember you get 50% off Le Cirque, too!

Edited by SilvertoGold

In November we will do a 32 day cruise on the Amsterdam. This is a back to back cruise, on one booking number. We will be four star on the first leg and five star on the second leg. My understanding is that we will have five star status on the return leg. What ships have afforded this in the past ?

Oh, rats. I assumed too much.

However, isn't is supposed to work that the lower level pax in the cabin assumes the higher pax's level?

Need to look this up!..................

OK: Mariner's Society page, under FAQS, #12 (see also #13) says what I have just wondered about above. Looks as if you guys are on for 2 complimentary Pinnacle Dinners EACH!!!! Yay!!

You could email the Mariner Society and get written confirmation, which you would be well advised to take with you on the cruise!

Remember you get 50% off Le Cirque, too!

well you are sharper than I. I was looking and kept going around in circles. But yes, in the past DH got what I got, he's always behind me but I helped him catch up ;)

good idea on emailing the Mariner Society and I will. I never thought of that. They are always good.

I already got 50% off everything before as 4* so no biggie.

So many thanks again - you have been so much help and it so appreciated you would take the time to look and help.

Many, many thanks :)

Edited by kazu