new cruisre

griffster

hi to you all

my husband and I are going on our very first cruise on the 2 January for 2 weeks. we are off to the canary islands, and if we like it, we then would like to carribean. I am sure I will get some ideas about packing etc on here. well hope to speak to anyone later. thankyou.

Hi, and welcome to Cruise Critic.

Cruising to the Canaries from the UK? or fly-cruise?

Might be a bit bumpy for the first & last few days if you're sailing from the UK.

And don't expect the Canaries to be super-hot in January - but certainly warmer than Blighty!!

On the other hand, no luggage restrictions if there's no flights involved.:)

The Caribbean will be much much better - fly-cruise packages direct from the UK (mainly P&O or Thomson) are excellent value, especially if booked late, and the transfers super-smooth, way better than via the US.

The Caribbean is made for cruising, a different island almost every day. Generally smooth sailing, hot, sunny, & mainly dry - sometimes short sharp warm showers, which are actually very refreshing, then everywhere's dry again in 10 minutes.

Currency's easy on both itineraries. Euros for Canaries - even widely accepted if your ports include Morocco. US dollars for virtually everywhere in the Caribbean.

But get your funny-money before you go, from the usual suspects such as M&S, Tesco, Post Office. Don't accept notes over €20 or $20, and in this context be wary of on-line exchange bureaux which - unless you can specify - will likely be mainly €50 & sometimes $50 notes.

Alternatively use ATMs ashore for your euros, but don't rely on them in the Caribbean because they may only stock local currencies & leave you with some expensive souvenir notes.

Don't use the exchange bureau on the ship - any ship, any cruise line - because the rates are very poor.

And if your ship is American or Italian, I'll explain how to handle your on-board account, to avoid those same poor rates.

Don't rush to book ship's excursions, they're generally poor value. Again all cruise lines, though Thomson are more reasonable than most.

As a rule-of-thumb, if you want an unusual or activity excursion (catamaran, 4x4, zip-lining, river-tubing, etc) then as a first-timer it's best to book ship's offerings since these can rarely be fixed up on-the-fly and pre-booking independently can present pitfalls for the uninitiated. But simple road tours can usually be fixed up with taxis or minibuses on the quayside - more fun, more flexible, and about a third of the cost of ship's equivalent.

Explore around this website, there's an overload of good info, on forums such as the ports of call & your particular cruise line.

Simple way to browse them, at the bottom of this page click on the arrow at Forum Jump and that'll bring up a drop-down of all the forums. Click on one that interests & away you go. There's also search facilities on all forums - once you've mastered them you can avoid browsing a lot of irrelevant stuff.

Its a bit of a daunting website for the technologically inept (like me :o) but well worth persevering. If you ever get lost just click on your screen-name (top right, any page) & it'll guide you back.

All first cruises are great

JB :)

Hello and welcome to Cruise Critic! :D

You are ambitious for your first cruise, please find the PORTS OF CALL boards for Europe and you can read about excursions and places to visit on your port stops. I spent 2 months in Tenerife, but that was in April several years ago. It will be a spectacular trip. ALSO there is no need to push yourself to do something on board, if you feel like just sitting and relaxing and watching the sea, do it!

Have a wonderful trip.

hi to you both. many thanks for your replys. we are sailing from southamton on the 2 jan. we do not expect the weather to be good, I am dreading around the BAY OF BISCAY!!!! hope its not too rough, but I shall take my seasick tablets. the ports of call are LISBON,LANZAROTE, GRAN CANERIA,SANTA CRUZ, LA PALMA, MADERIA, AND CORUNA. we upgraded to a balcony, which is deck A MID SHIP. it looks about the 5 deck down from the top. we also have £175 each spending money, and we got the coach price in with the deal too. I have just about got everything sorted, just got to enter the passport details in, and the MAIN thing I have had the pleasure of buying myself some lovely new clothes!!!!!! we have our euros sorted, so shall not be using the machines abroad. I need to find out what percentige the VENTURA charges for the TIPS.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.co.UK :)

How lovely to hear that you're going on Ventura...we'll be on her for the 5th time, later in January.

The suggested tip per person per day is £5; it will be added to your on board account daily.

Don't worry about the BOB....she's a massive ship and rides the waves well; the only time my other half has felt queasy on her was when he was swimming in the forward pool, with the wave machine on....it was like being at the end of a sea-saw for him. :D

You can take alcohol on board from any of the ports, including Southampton...put it in your carry on bag. We don't bother too much when leaving the UK because the on board prices are the same as a pub, but we do like to buy Spanish brandy and Cava....at La Coruna, there's a shopping parade next to the ship, but the Main Street isn't far- just follow the crowds from the ship.

In Madeira, there will be a shuttle bus to their main street, and it's not far to the cable car, or the HOHO bus.

Enjoy this lovely ship...:cool:

I think the daily tips (for cabin steward & waiters) have recently been increased from £4 to £5 per passenger per day.

Still less than on US ships, but ever since P&O joined the US-based Carnival Cruise empire we've seen things gradually edging toward the US way.

Theoretically voluntary but this will be added to your on-board account. You have the right to remove the charge & pay however much you choose to whoever you choose, you have the right to adjust or remove the charge & keep the money in your pockets, or you can just leave the charge in place. Unless service is sub-standard (unlikely) I suggest you just leave the charge will be in place.

But I'm not going to get embroiled in a tipping debate, always a hot topic on Cruise Critic ;)

Since your on-board spend will be added to your on-board account & the tips charged to that account, your accounts will each still be something over £100 in the black.

One thing to be wary of - a complication which might still not be sorted these days.

You'll each have an account & each account will have that on-board spend. You can't re-claim unspent money in those accounts at the end of the cruise. You'll probably mainly be using one of your cards, but make sure you spend at least the free spend on each card.

No iniquitous 15% service charge on drinks. Well, not yet at least :rolleyes:

P&O drinks prices are about the same as provincial pubs.

And with P&O you can take aboard, at embarkation and at ports-of-call, any alcohol (not just wine) to drink in your cabin / on your balcony. P&O reserve the right to confiscate alcohol til the end of a cruise, but only do that occasionally - with passengers who take aboard crates of beer, clearly bent on having a horizontal cruise.

Yes, BoB - and the English Channel - can be bad-tempered at that time of year.

But even then, its more often smooth than rough. Ventura is a big 'un, and in rough weather a good big 'un is much more stable than a good little 'un. And mid-ships is the most stable part of the ship

JB :)

My wife and myself are doing the exact itinerary on Ventura from October 31 2015

Having sailed the Canaries last year,we can say with confidence that you will enjoy it so much!! Madeira was our pick.

As has been said...The bay of biscay can be unpredictable - we had a force 8 gale and 27 foot waves on route. ...however on the way back,was almost mirror like ,so calm!!

We were on Emerald Princess which is almost identical to Ventura, and although there was a bit of movement, I was impressed with how she rode the weather,so don't fear,worry or lose sleep to much!!

The temperature will be between 18-22'c I would think,so not to bad IMO ....better than UK!!

Have a fab cruise!!

Steve n Wendy

hi steve and wendy

many thanks for your reply. you too enjoy your cruise. yes, my only concern now, is, the BOB. I have not been very good on FERRIES years ago, so I do realise they ships are a lot bigger, so hopefull I will not get sea sick. my husband and I went on a NATIONAL COACH TRIP to ITALY and LAKE COMO so we had to cross on a ferry, and I was fine, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I am so getting excited, I have never done so much SHOPPING!!!!!! LOL. well it is our first cruise!!! bought some lovely dresses, probably will not wear them all, but not to worrt, at least I have them now. hopefully for moere cruises.xx

hello

just another question. as we are going to the canaries on the 2 January, iwas thinking, (I have read that some cruisers take a change of clothes for when they get to the ship) seeing that it will not be summer weather!!! most likely cold, I would not take a change of clothes, ( apart from undies!!) cos it will be somewhat cool on the prom. what is your thoughts on this?. thankyou.lynn

Because most of us will have had an early start and come from a distance, we'll be ready to shrug off our travelling clothes when our cases arrive- remember that it will be warm inside the ship. My trusty friend for winter cruises is a waterproof jacket with fleece lining, for being out on deck. ...but inside, you'll need lighter clothes. The rest of the time you'll be indoors, especially once it's dark and windy (it will be dark before you leave Southampton, and probably quite fresh out at sea)

Remember that there's a free launderette on most decks...either take your washing tablets, or buy some at the shop. That way you can wash your heavier clothes when you reach the sun.

Edited by jocap
typo

Because most of us will have had an early start and come from a distance, we'll be ready to shrug off our travelling clothes when our cases arrive- remember that it will be warm inside the ship. My trusty friend for winter cruises is a waterproof jacket with fleece lining, for being out on deck. ...but inside, you'll need lighter clothes. The rest of the time you'll be indoors, especially once it's dark and windy (it will be dark before you leave Southampton, and probably quite fresh out at sea)

Remember that there's a free launderette on most decks...either take your washing tablets, or buy some at the shop. That way you can wash your heavier clothes when you reach the sun.

Many cruise ships keep the inside temperatures a bit low (around 68 f or 20 c). Also some lines offer free launderettes but others require coins, and some ships have no launderettes at all. Suggest you check with the line or your TA so you are fully prepared.

Edited by Host Walt