Cocktails

MrsWaldo

Hello Mrs W,

As this seems to be a general rather than ship dependant question then imho it is the barman not the bar you need to focus on. That bar is the ambience - the barman is the drink. You are seeking a talented and experienced barman rather than simply one that can pour a drink and add a mixer.

The art is very early on on your cruise identify each of the different barman and their skills for your chosen cocktail or their free choice if you ask them to innovate. Some have an encyclopeadic cocktail knowledge. Some are not experienced barman at all and so will never be able to innovate something imaginitive as you request, because they do not have basic experience and skills - just the ability to pour a measure. So I suggest that you gently identify early on who you gel with and when your preferred mixologist is on duty in the different bars and follow them around the ship. Don't be shy of "teaching" them your preference if you like a cocktail started from scratch or simply adjusted. To me this has often been a joy during the day when everyone is off the ship and barman have more time, and in the evening I guess the ambience of the preferred bar take over and you just have to take pot luck with what you are served particularly as they have less time.

Good luck.

:)

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Can't specify a location as I haven't sailed on the Shadow, but do try the Silver Spirit cocktail. (I believe it's available fleetwide, not just on the Spirit!).

I don't really care for gin, or NZ sauvignon blanc, so I was very surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Very refreshing.

Edited to add : do take it easy with this one. I had three of them one evening and let's say I underestimated my own ability to hold my alcohol on this one!

SILVER SPIRIT SIGNATURE COCKTAIL

2 oz Plymouth gin

2 oz St Germain elderflower liqueur

1.5 oz New Zealand sauvignon blanc

1/2 oz freshly squeezed lime juice

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes. Shake until very chilled; serve straight up in martini glass with wedge of lime.

Edited by Nigella

Can't specify a location as I haven't sailed on the Shadow, but do try the Silver Spirit cocktail. (I believe it's available fleetwide, not just on the Spirit!).

I don't really care for gin, or NZ sauvignon blanc, so I was very surprised how much I enjoyed this one. Very refreshing.

Edited to add : do take it easy with this one. I had three of them one evening and let's say I underestimated my own ability to hold my alcohol on this one!

2 oz Plymouth gin

Combine all ingredients in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice cubes. Shake until very chilled; serve straight up in martini glass with wedge of lime.

You are an adventurous Gal!

This cocktail rings a bell with me - they have it seems thieved and rebranded an often chosen variation of a cocktail called "The Can Can Martini" which uses either dry Martini (Noily Prat in preference) or a suitable bone dry dry white wine to make it "longer". If you were using Noily you'd use a third of that to make it "really dry" if you were an old soak like me. ;) It uses a lemon or lime twist. Next time you might just ask them to sub a vodka which you may prefer.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Hello Mrs W,

As this seems to be a general rather than ship dependant question then imho it is the barman not the bar you need to focus on. That bar is the ambience - the barman is the drink. You are seeking a talented and experienced barman rather than simply one that can pour a drink and add a mixer.

Good luck.

:)

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Miss W would happily jump behind the bar and given free reign come up with some stuff ... i cook, she is the mixologist

Tonights pre was a watermelon thing.. she has also come up with a St Marga ( corrupted margarita, don't ask) and a Eurostar (tanqueray 10 , st germaine and some tonic water!) Not doing full disclosure

I guess after night one it will require a bar crawl:rolleyes:

A talented gal your Miss ......

Often the nicest cocktails are the simplest. One of my favourite late night cocktails designed to follow coffee and perhaos even with a cigar .... and prepare me for beddy byes is a Brave Bull. Equal large slugs of Kahlua and Tequilla over ice. Simple and sublime.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff,

Miss W would happily jump behind the bar and given free reign come up with some stuff ... i cook, she is the mixologist

Tonights pre was a watermelon thing.. she has also come up with a St Marga ( corrupted margarita, don't ask) and a Eurostar (tanqueray 10 , st germaine and some tonic water!) Not doing full disclosure

I guess after night one it will require a bar crawl:rolleyes:

Unless you're in port, it's going to be a pretty short crawl.

So on SB we know to head to the observation bar for the best cocktails..

talking innovative, not classics.

So where, on Shadow as an example, do you think you find the better cocktails?

Innovative? When I was on the Shadow they had a hard enough time making the classics.

2 oz Plymouth gin

That looks mighty refreshing. I'll give it a try (or three) next month on our Amazon cruise aboard Whisper.

Edited by OctoberKat

That looks mighty refreshing. I'll give it a try (or three) next month on our Amazon cruise aboard Whisper.

Do give it a try.

I concur with Emperor Norton, in my experience the classics on SS were disappointing. So I decided to try something that I wouldn't usually, the Silver Spirit, and very much enjoyed it.

We prefer our martinis made with frozen vodka. The best that can be done on SS is to put the vodka bottle in an ice bath. Not the same as having the bottle in a freezer. First world problem!

Vodka will not freeze unless your freezer goes down to -17 degrees and your home freezer I assure you does not go down that low. If it does freeze it is watered down.

Vodka will not freeze unless your freezer goes down to -17 degrees and your home freezer I assure you does not go down that low. If it does freeze it is watered down.

It does if it's a Canadian freezer. ;)

Anyway, presumably, she meant vodka from the freezer and not frozen vodka.