Viking Cities of Lights questions...

MeMe4A&J

We start our trip with 2 nights in Paris then: we leave and drive to Luxemborg, tour it, then ride to Trier....my question is: what time will we arrive Trier?

That is where we board our ship and then the itinerary states we will have dinner aboard the ship then you can go into town. Knowing that dinner is at 7, will the stores in Trier still be open?

Seems like a very long day.....4 hour trip to Luxemborg, tour, then another 1 hour ride to Trier.

Just curious if anyone might have done this and would please give me some idea on time frames?

:eek::confused:

Thanks!

It is a long day from what I have read here on CC from past cruisers. Coach takes that long, car would be a little faster. You might be able to find info from past cruisers via the search button. But I am sure somebody will answer your question directly.

As for the shops: Although Trier is a tourist destination you will find that shops close around 6.30pm or 7pm Mondays to Fridays, earlier on Saturdays and a lot of shops are closed on Sundays (Sunday trading laws). Some supermarkets will stay open a little longer.

When they say "after dinner you can head into town" it means you could wander around, walk along the embankment or have a drink in a pub (Wirtschaft). Or go to an event: http://www.trier-info.de/english/index

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

I'm no help :D, but when do you sail? We'll be taking that same trip in December.

Like notamermaid said, search the forums. That's what I've been doing weeks now whenever I have some free. time.

Warning this forum is so addicting and I love love love reading about everyones' trips that I've haven't gotten very far in my own search, lol .:)

It is a long day from what I have read here on CC from past cruisers. Coach takes that long, car would be a little faster. You might be able to find info from past cruisers via the search button. But I am sure somebody will answer your question directly.

As for the shops: Although Trier is a tourist destination you will find that shops close around 6.30pm or 7pm Mondays to Fridays, earlier on Saturdays and a lot of shops are closed on Sundays (Sunday trading laws). Some supermarkets will stay open a little longer.

When they say "after dinner you can head into town" it means you could wander around, walk along the embankment or have a drink in a pub (Wirtschaft). Or go to an event: http://www.trier-info.de/english/index

Have a great cruise.

notamermaid

I thought it seemed like a long day. Disappointed we won't really get to see much of Trier, the pictures make it appear very lovely.

Thank you for your response!

I'm no help :D, but when do you sail? We'll be taking that same trip in December.

Like notamermaid said, search the forums. That's what I've been doing weeks now whenever I have some free. time.

Warning this forum is so addicting and I love love love reading about everyones' trips that I've haven't gotten very far in my own search, lol .:)

We sail Nov 12, about 3 weeks....our first so we are excited. We have not learned all the "river cruise" lingo that is why I had to ask about the timing.

I am going to try to find out how to search the forums....and yes it is very addicting. When we took our last ocean cruise I was very involved with CC, when the cruise was over I had CC withdrawals!! :D:D

Thanks!!

Hope you have a great time on your cruise in December!!

I did this cruise last year and had intentions of walking into Trier upon arrival, but was too tired and it would have been quite a walk from the ship. The walking tour is very good and we had at least 30 minutes of free time before heading back to the ship. That said, it wasn't enough time to fully enjoy Trier. My husband is a Roman history buff and we visited on our about 20 years ago, spending 2 days here. The museum is very interesting but not enough time to visit after the walking tour.

Can't wait for your review ! 3 weeks will speed by real fast.

I really wish I had found this forum on my past cruises (Ocean cruises to the Caribbean only) I just read the reviews. I missed out.

Have a wonderful trip too! :)

Edited by ThreeTwelves

As Peggy Tuten has mentioned on her cruise they were given a bit of free time after the morning guided tour. This is usually the case, only problem is, as happened on my cruise, possible delays. One couple took so long before showing up again at the coach that our lunch in Budapest was a little rushed before the afternoon tour.

If you feel you are spending too much time with the guide - I am sure he or she will be very good - you can always tell the person that you would like leave the group and look at something in more detail. Always tell a guide and/or CC about alternative plans you might have so you do not hold up a group or the cruise.

The tourist information centre is round the corner from the Porta Nigra, if you need help. The shopping area starts from or less at the Porta Nigra and extends to the Palace and Gardens. Lovely (restored) old town and some good shops.

Schweich, where the ship will wait for you, is only 9 or 14 minutes by regional train. Should you be in need of that option (hopefully not).

You could of course, take the train from Paris straight to Trier, I mean if you do not want to do the Luxembourg plus cemetery tour. You take a fast train to Luxembourg and there change to a train that takes you directly to Trier. The fast version of the journey takes you about 4 hours.

A little adventurous I suppose, but just wanted to inform you of that option.

notamermaid

As Peggy Tuten has mentioned on her cruise they were given a bit of free time after the morning guided tour. This is usually the case, only problem is, as happened on my cruise, possible delays. One couple took so long before showing up again at the coach that our lunch in Budapest was a little rushed before the afternoon tour.

If you feel you are spending too much time with the guide - I am sure he or she will be very good - you can always tell the person that you would like leave the group and look at something in more detail. Always tell a guide and/or CC about alternative plans you might have so you do not hold up a group or the cruise.

The tourist information centre is round the corner from the Porta Nigra, if you need help. The shopping area starts from or less at the Porta Nigra and extends to the Palace and Gardens. Lovely (restored) old town and some good shops.

Schweich, where the ship will wait for you, is only 9 or 14 minutes by regional train. Should you be in need of that option (hopefully not).

You could of course, take the train from Paris straight to Trier, I mean if you do not want to do the Luxembourg plus cemetery tour. You take a fast train to Luxembourg and there change to a train that takes you directly to Trier. The fast version of the journey takes you about 4 hours.

A little adventurous I suppose, but just wanted to inform you of that option.

notamermaid

Great info, sounds that you are a bit more adventuresome than I!!:) But I really appreciate the idea that I can leave the tour and go on my own by just making sure of time frames and location with the Program Director.

Thank you so much for taking time to give all these great options!

Trier is a nice place to visit. We were finally able to visit there last month, on a trip by automobile. I've posted a few pictures on my travelpod blog (same username as I use here).

We did most of what we wanted to do in half a day. They sell an antiquities ticket for about 15 euros which will get you in to the major attractions; that was all we needed. While we were wandering the city, we saw a couple of Viking and Uniworld tour groups! We also enjoyed a delicious lunch, outdoors under an umbrella while it was raining Katzen und Hunde!

I don't know firsthand whether there's much to do at night, as we were there only during the day. I suspect, as notamermaid says, that most attractions close down and unless you want to grab a snack or a drink, there may not be much to do other than wander. That, of course, may be fun too. Depends on what you like! Though you arrive in the evening, I would assume you have time to tour Trier the next day before you sail?

So, don't worry if you don't have a full day. If you don't mind going off on your own, you can still see most of the major sights.