Rio de Janeiro to Santiago Cruise, Jan 4, 2016

X1HYCB

We've been to the European, Caribbean, Mediterranean, Mexican, New England, Alaskan, Asian, Hawaiian, California Coastal and Panama Canal cruises. Now, we're excited to go on our next cruise aboard Star Princess this January and planning raises numerous questions.

- Coming from California, we will lose one day for travel. So we'll spend a couple of days in Rio prior boarding. Any suggestions for reasonable lodging, do they have service like pick up at airport; and drop off at the cruise port? Day tours? How is the weather on that side of the globe? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

This is a great cruise.

I have sailed this area and loved it.

Let me recommend that you post on the South America Board.

Weather will range from warm/hot in Rio and Buenos Aires and as you make your way to the south it will get cooler and cold and then as you make your way to Valparaiso it will get warm again.

For the cooler weather you will want to have a water proof jacket, and underneath it ideally a fleece or sweater or sweatshirt, warm pants, warm socks and good walking shoes, a scarf, hat and gloves. It can get very windy.

Try to book one or two tours to see the Penguins.

Again, be sure to visit the South America Board.

Keith

A little over a year ago my cruise friend and I made our first venture into seeing South America, We flew to Santiago, spent a pre-cruise night in Valpariso in a boutique hotel high on a hill in the city and boarded the Crown the following day, and sailed to LA. We enjoyed it so much that while still onboard the Crown, we booked the 32 day itinerary from Ft Lauderdale and around the Horn to Valpo for March of this year. We loved that cruise!! The ports and the sights were wonderful. The weather, for the most part was good. It was rather bumpy going around the Horn, and there was some wind and drizzle, but it was a great experience anyway.

Be sure to visit Sugarloaf and the Christ the Redeemer statue. The views from atop both were just awesome.

Your best source for help with information will be the South America board, as well as joining your cruise roll call. If you are a lucky as we were, there will be others on your sailing that have done a South America cruise before and can offer a wealth of information and recommendations, including hotel suggestions, tour operators, and private tours already set up that you might be able to join.

One hint ... assuming that you've not been in Brazil before .... get a early start on applying for your Brazilian visas. It can be a slow process, depending on how busy the Embassy that you have to use for you home location is. I live in FL, and was required to use the one in Miami, which was very backed up with applications. Unless you live near a Brazilian Embassy, I recommend you pay the fee (I think it was $40pp) and use the Visa service that Princess recommends. They make it SO much easier and were very helpful!! The one for Argentina is easy .... and can be done online by yourself.