First cruise ..... starting to wonder if I have made a mistake.

Cabansail

Never been on a cruise before, ever. Have been on plenty of boats and ships to get places, but that was just transport.

Last week I was looking at a few other things online and saw a cruise package for 16 days in a suite for a good price. Discussed this with SWMBO who thought it was a great idea. Went to our travel agent (who we have used for years) who made inquiries and has booked it for us. So as long as I get the leave approved it looks like we are going.

Now that it's almost a reality I am having serious second thoughts. I doubt I could back out though as SWMBO is quite excited by the idea, so it looks like i am stuck with it.

The concerns I have are;

The lack of information that RCCI provide about their cruises. It says that there are Shows and Entertainment etc. They have cinemas and theaters but what are they? I mean if I am booking a flight I can see the list of all the movies available in flight but there is nothing like that for a cruise. I even rang them up and they said that information is not published.

The drink packages seem to be encouraging people to over indulge. I really do like a drink, but not that often. Normally a couple of drinks a week is enough for me, a few more when on leave. When I do have a drink it will be good quality ales, fine wine or single malt whiskies. The drink packages seem to offer lots of low end stuff and at a price that to make them value for money I am going to be either drunk or hung over the whole time. I have seen the prices for individual drinks and they are at a price I find hard to believe, considering they should be duty free. When I see the list and then multiply it by 1.4 to convert to AU$ it's a shocker. Then the expectation is to add a further 15% on for a tip. Now I could afford them BUT I know that when I feel ripped off I do not enjoy them. So what's the point. So it seems the choice is to be tea-total or rolling drunk. Neither of which are appealing. The other thing that worries me is being surrounded by people who have bought the drink packages and are getting their value from them.

The lack of a laundry on a cruise of that length is an issue too. We will be limited by the luggage limits for the flights and I will want to bring my cameras, so that leave only a small space for clothes. So two sets of clothes in the tropics for over two weeks. I guess I will have plenty of room around me at the restaurants after day three :)

I also don't drink instant coffee but I think I have seen that the cafes on board are operated by Starbucks. Maybe I am wrong here and there is other options. I fully agree with the Adam Hills when he says that "Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You're going to get it but it aint going to be pretty" So if it is just Starbucks then it will be a coffee free voyage as well.

It feels like when you pay the fare that is just the start and when you get on board the sales pitch really starts. Maybe it's not the case and i am just feeling apprehensive.

Maybe I am just feeling painted into a corner and will love it when I get aboard, but I am having serious reservations. Maybe my leave will not be approved and I can back out and save face.

Oh, buyer's remorse. Feh. I can address a few of your concerns. I've sailed RCCL only twice but I'll help where I can and let the more expert among us continue.

Entertainment info: yes, RCCL's website is not at all forthcoming. In general, there will be live shows with music/singing/dancing; comedy acts; dance music in club spaces with dance floors; music in bars. Some ships have theaters. Others show movies on the close-circuit TV systems.

Coffee: There's also "free" coffee/tea available somewhere on the ship. It's not great but if you're not super picky you'll be OK.

Booze: I don't drink much and was fine with buying the occasional drink. Prices will range from $6 to $10. You have to drink 5 or 6 a day to make it worthwhile. I don't drink sodas, but if you do you might want that package. I am a water snob and usually pack a refillable filter bottle.

Laundry: I am a weirdo who likes to do my own laundry mid-cruise, and RCCL doesn't allow that. I think all ships have laundry service, and some will do a laundry special: fill the bag they'll provide and it will all be washed for a flat fee. Pack some fabric refresher (Febreze) and plenty of underwear. You can hand-wash in your sink. It's probably worth it to get travel-friendly garments that dry quickly. Remember that no one will care if you wear something twice as long as it hasn't gotten stained or stinky.

You didn't say which ship or itinerary you booked; post that and people can give you more targeted info. Do what you need to do to be comfortable. It'll be enjoyable if you go - or it'll be an adventure!

Cheers!

D.

First off, take a deep breath and relax. Secondly, so as to provide you with accurate information, it would be helpful for you to tell us which ship and which itinerary you've booked. Also which class of suite? Junior Suite? Grand Suite? The reason I ask is that will effect the level of amenities you get. Now there are a few questions of yours I can answer straight off.

Shows and entertainment - shows will depend on which ship you're on. As for films shown, they tend to be first or second run-films. On my cruise two weeks ago on Oasis of the Seas, for instance, the films shown were San Andreas and Edge of Tomorrow. Freedom of the Seas had Green Lantern, while Serenade of the Seas had The Adjustment Bureau, 42, and After Earth.

As for drinking onboard, my wife and I tend to avoid drink packages, but we do enjoy a good drink now and then. You don't have to be either a teetotaler or rip roaring drunk as you put it, and the 18% gratuity is usually included in the list price of the drink. At least on Oasis of the Seas, prices at the Globe and Atlas (the British-style pub onboard) were comparable to what we'd pay out at a restaurant for a pint or a cocktail. We've never encountered somebody who's been rip roaring drunk and the staff tends to be good at eyeing when to cut someone off. We took friends of ours on our last cruise and they eyed a bartender either at Globe and Atlas or at Schooner cutting off someone who was getting a little too far along and there was one of the ship's officers nearby to backup the bartender.

Laundry - usually RCI's ships will offer a laundry special somewhere around the midpoint of the cruise. True there's no self-service laundry, but who wants to do their laundry on a cruise? Stick your dirty clothes in one of their laundry bag, keep your eye out for the laundry special, and send it off to get washed.

As for a sales pitch onboard, not really. There'll be advertisements and announcements for specials at the shops on board but they're easy enough to ignore or tune out.

I can understand the apprehension but cruising is a great way to go on vacation and while I might have opted for a shorter cruise for my first time out, it really is an excellent way to go about one's vacation. Again, would love to know the ship and itinerary you're on to better give you an idea of what you might be expecting.

Radiance of the Seas from Fremantle to Sydney.

Have a Junior Suite.

Radiance of the Seas is the lead ship of the Radiance class. If you look at my forum signature there, she's exactly alike to Serenade of the Seas. She'll be a smaller ship, but there should be plenty to do on her. In terms of shows and entertainment I'd expect a headliner show of some sort, comedy shows either by comedians brought onboard or by the ship's cruise director, production shows by the ship's singers and dancers, and perhaps an aerial show using the ship's Centrum (the 9-story "lobby" of the ship). There's also a movie screen out by the pool showing those first/second-run films I mentioned earlier. I can't comment on the itinerary itself since I've never done an Australian itinerary so I'll try to limit my comments to the ship itself.

In terms of coffee options, you have Caffe Latte-tudes onboard which I believe will serve Seattle's Best Coffee. Yes, they're a subsidiary of Starbucks now, but the coffee's not that bad. The Radiance class ships also do, in my opinion, the best job of segregating the shops so if you are worried about getting pitch after pitch for gold by the inch or Breitling watches, just avoid the area forward on Deck 5 where the Shops On Board are located. I believe Radiance still has an actual cinema room so that's also an option to catch a flick and I believe it's just forward of their English-style pub, Quill and Compass. If you're a billiards fan at all, the Radiance class is beloved for their self-leveling pool tables. They also have gorgeous floor-to-ceiling windows throughout to see the ocean around you and their Solariums are, in my opinion, the best in Royal Caribbean's fleet.

We have done that itinerary. Loved it. We pay for drinks as we go. Much simpler of you are not a big drinker.

We used the on board washing service. The most it has cost is about $100 for a 20 night trip. We wash some smalls and hang them on the line in the shower sometimes. Depends what we feel like on the trip. We have had one time when something new was not colour-fast and another item came back a bit pinkish. I make sure to hand wash everything new before I go as you can see immediately if it will run. T-shirts come back nice and pressed, and I have sent away my good sparkly top with no issues also.

Radiance (and radiance class ships) is one of the most loved ships in the RCI fleet. A beautiful ship.

The shows, just go and enjoy what ever happens. You are on holidays. They don't tell you what is on each night until the day before. Probably depends on the sea conditions as some acts require a more stable ocean.

I hope you do go and enjoy it. We have been on a bunch of cruises now and it is the most relaxing holiday ever.

Re packing for clothes get the vacuum packs so everything shrinks. Drinks package I got the Royal replenish on my last cruisers was adequate as I only had 1 alcoholic drink daily next time I'm just getting the soft drinks one as the free tea and coffee was fine my advice is don't buy the package before u leave try the free coffee and pay for a Starbucks which isn't good and see what u think

Never been on a cruise before, ever. Have been on plenty of boats and ships to get places, but that was just transport.

Last week I was looking at a few other things online and saw a cruise package for 16 days in a suite for a good price. Discussed this with SWMBO who thought it was a great idea. Went to our travel agent (who we have used for years) who made inquiries and has booked it for us. So as long as I get the leave approved it looks like we are going.

Now that it's almost a reality I am having serious second thoughts. I doubt I could back out though as SWMBO is quite excited by the idea, so it looks like i am stuck with it.

The concerns I have are;

The lack of information that RCCI provide about their cruises. It says that there are Shows and Entertainment etc. They have cinemas and theaters but what are they? I mean if I am booking a flight I can see the list of all the movies available in flight but there is nothing like that for a cruise. I even rang them up and they said that information is not published.

The drink packages seem to be encouraging people to over indulge. I really do like a drink, but not that often. Normally a couple of drinks a week is enough for me, a few more when on leave. When I do have a drink it will be good quality ales, fine wine or single malt whiskies. The drink packages seem to offer lots of low end stuff and at a price that to make them value for money I am going to be either drunk or hung over the whole time. I have seen the prices for individual drinks and they are at a price I find hard to believe, considering they should be duty free. When I see the list and then multiply it by 1.4 to convert to AU$ it's a shocker. Then the expectation is to add a further 15% on for a tip. Now I could afford them BUT I know that when I feel ripped off I do not enjoy them. So what's the point. So it seems the choice is to be tea-total or rolling drunk. Neither of which are appealing. The other thing that worries me is being surrounded by people who have bought the drink packages and are getting their value from them.

The lack of a laundry on a cruise of that length is an issue too. We will be limited by the luggage limits for the flights and I will want to bring my cameras, so that leave only a small space for clothes. So two sets of clothes in the tropics for over two weeks. I guess I will have plenty of room around me at the restaurants after day three :)

I also don't drink instant coffee but I think I have seen that the cafes on board are operated by Starbucks. Maybe I am wrong here and there is other options. I fully agree with the Adam Hills when he says that "Going to Starbucks for coffee is like going to prison for sex. You're going to get it but it aint going to be pretty" So if it is just Starbucks then it will be a coffee free voyage as well.

It feels like when you pay the fare that is just the start and when you get on board the sales pitch really starts. Maybe it's not the case and i am just feeling apprehensive.

Maybe I am just feeling painted into a corner and will love it when I get aboard, but I am having serious reservations. Maybe my leave will not be approved and I can back out and save face.

I think you will probably find even with cheapy flights like Jetstar you will get at least 15kgs (unless you decide to do hand luggage only) and its not that dear to upgrade to 20kg, you are spending a bit on your cruise, why not spend an extra $20 for the extra weight. I'm sure you will have room for more than 2 changes of clothes, I can take heaps of clothes to Asia and still be around 13 - 14 kgs by taking light clothing even with all the 'stuff' I take with me, toiletries, medicines, chargers, etc. Cameras are heavy, but you get 7kgs hand luggage as well. To keep it all together, go to katmandu and buy some cubes, best thing I ever bought.

I think you will probably find even with cheapy flights like Jetstar you will get at least 15kgs (unless you decide to do hand luggage only) and its not that dear to upgrade to 20kg, you are spending a bit on your cruise, why not spend an extra $20 for the extra weight. I'm sure you will have room for more than 2 changes of clothes, I can take heaps of clothes to Asia and still be around 13 - 14 kgs by taking light clothing even with all the 'stuff' I take with me, toiletries, medicines, chargers, etc. Cameras are heavy, but you get 7kgs hand luggage as well. To keep it all together, go to katmandu and buy some cubes, best thing I ever bought.

I think you get 20kg on Virgin.

Have to take my CPAP machine, then there is my Computer, Tablet and Camera Gear. That will account for most of my luggage allowance. SWMBO will take the toiletries and her clothes. I will wear mine over and have a few other things used as padding around the important stuff.

I think you get 20kg on Virgin.

Have to take my CPAP machine, then there is my Computer, Tablet and Camera Gear. That will account for most of my luggage allowance. SWMBO will take the toiletries and her clothes. I will wear mine over and have a few other things used as padding around the important stuff.

Maybe consider taking your laptop or tablet and scale down on your camera gear.

blah, blah, blah, blah, blah ;)

The concerns I have are;

The lack of information that RCCI provide about their cruises. It says that there are Shows and Entertainment etc. They have cinemas and theaters but what are they?

It all is per ship. Most ships have a production show that IS published, and doesn't change, and an additional headliner that usually falls into the catagory of "variety show extra." I've seen musicians, comedians, magicians, and a "professional pickpocket."

As for the theater itself, it's going to be small, more like a presentation room than a theater. Expect there to be a couple of movies playing there from 3 years ago. If you are REAALLY curious which ones, ask about a specific ship and maybe someone who's cruised her in the past month can give you some direction. If you combine the poolside screen, the television that plays movies on a loop and the theater you'll have less than a dozen movies to choose from, and zero on-demand control. Don't go there expecting to be enthralled by the box.

The drink packages seem to be encouraging people to over indulge. I really do like a drink, but not that often. Normally a couple of drinks a week is enough for me, a few more when on leave.

They have non-alcoholic bev packages. Get the replenish package, and when the mood strikes you, you can add a shot. Also, being a Tea totaler at sea doesn't suck. Water with fresh cucumber & pinapple (you'll need your own water bottle), Soda water & lime, fancy coffees and what have you. There are lots of beverage options at every price level. If you don't get board at home, I don't think there is any reason to get board aboard a ship.

I have seen the prices for individual drinks and they are at a price I find hard to believe, considering they should be duty free. When I see the list and then multiply it by 1.4 to convert to AU$ it's a shocker. Then the expectation is to add a further 15% on for a tip.

Its actually 18%.

I don't really know what to tell you here. "Good" Single malt scotch whiskey probably isn't even included in the package, even if you did buy it. Yeah, the price is pretty steep, but it is what it is. My recommendation is you make a budget, decide how much money you want to spend per day on beverages and then to just go with it. If you want, you can get the cheaper replenish package (check out the non-alcoholic cocktails thread) or just a soda package, and you can buy a couple of extra drinks while onboard.

The other thing that worries me is being surrounded by people who have bought the drink packages and are getting their value from them.

Never been a problem on any cruise I've been on. In my experience the longer cruises are almost devoid of it. Older crowds.

The lack of a laundry on a cruise of that length is an issue too. We will be limited by the luggage limits for the flights and I will want to bring my cameras, so that leave only a small space for clothes.

3 choices. 1) pay the extra 50, bring an extra bag on your flight, 2) use the onboard laundry service, if there is one(you get a discount bag toward the middle of the cruise) it's like 15 bucks for a fluff and fold 3) Get a camera that doesn't take up your whole bag:confused:

With the exception of the allure and oasis, my understanding is that most cruises use Seattle's best beans in Starbucks branded cups... that being said some ships do use Sbux branded beans. PS: both you and Adam Hills are apparently idiots.

Well, it seems like you nailed the big ones... also shore excursions, gratuities, specialty restaurants, onboard shopping, and the casino...oh, and the spa...Of course most of those things are entirely optional. Just because they offer something doesn't mean you have to buy or feel left out. Mostly you just need to adjust your attitude a little.

Edited by Diplomacy

I have spent literally weeks at a time on Radiance & love her, a beautiful elegant ship.

I don't see the issue with the drinks, I never buy drink packages as I don't drink that much, so if you are the same then just buy drinks as you go. Sounds like you are particular anyway about them so the drinks packages will not suit you.

I have never had issues with any of the things you mentioned & since you have a junior suite you will have a nice amount of cabin space to relax in if you need some 'me' time.

I need & never do laundry apart from washing smalls & having pants/jeans pressed if needs be.

Basically, the cruise will be what you make it, if you relax & don't have any expectations either way you will probably be pleasantly surprised.

It's a holiday, try to let go of the need to know everything about the shows etc, let some things be surprises. Spontaneity isn't always my strong point either, but when cruising I try to just go with the flow & it has proven to be a very enjoyable approach. :)

If you're already talking yourself out of this cruise, and it seems like you have, you're not going to enjoy it and you are going to ruin your SO's vacation as well.

A lot of this apprehension could have been circumvented by doing more research before actually booking the cruise.

FWIW I have never been on Radiance, but have heard only wonderful things about it from those who have. I think you're stressing out about the unknown and you'll realize everything is fine once you're actually on the ship. But you need to adjust your attitude or you'll never see the good things.

I flat out didn't want to go on my first cruise. My wife and her friend insisted and we booked. After three days aboard ship, I never wanted to leave. As you can see by my signature that I've been on 26 more.

My blog would also be interesting for you to get a feel of it. I have a couple of Royal cruises on there.

Your cameras, computers and CPAP should all be in carryon luggage, not checked.

Radiance of the Seas is a beautiful ship. I've been on her twice.

You are not required to purchase a beverage package. You can pay as you go. I've never seen anyone "rip-roaring drunk" on any of my cruises. Ship's security will be called if someone gets out of hand.

I'm not trying to belittle your complaints- but realistically, the parts you are that concerned about are pretty small- relative to the rest of the cruise.

There is A live show every night in the theater- a mix of Royal's hired Singers and Dancers and guest entertainers. But in one given evening- it's just one show (same show more than once). Movies are also pretty much one or two per day- not a great selection- and they are more something to do if the rest of the stuff isn't interesting.

In other words- unlike a plane, it's not as if you have a massive choice. So having more information doesn't really gain you much.

The drinks- well, all I can say is don't try to think about the price. I know that doesn't help, but compared to bars in the US- the prices are not totally out of the world. I don't know how they compare with bars in Australia. But when having that enjoyable scotch, do your best not to think of the extra $1.50 you spent. BTW, I have found that for most non-mixed alcohol- they are cheaper than mixed drinks- like a nice bourbon was less than $10.

Luggage is a problem. We have learned over time how to work it, but it's not easy. There IS cleaning on board- stuff your clothing in a bag, and it will be washed. But you will have a better idea what you personally need once the cruise is over (you pay attention to what you did and did not wear).

Coffee- I never saw instant anywhere. But the quality is variable. Much of it depends on how much is being served at once- if people are taking cups WHILE it's brewing- the end will be pretty bad. All I can suggest is to try to find a spot were the machine makes coffee you like. There are so many spots around the ship, I'm confident you will find someplace.

BUT- compared to having a holiday, sailing to a bunch of different locations, the experiences you will encounter at those locations, the various people you will meet (crew, passengers, locals), the amazing sights, THE OCEAN....

All of that you will find to trump your other concerns. (be it this ship or any other cruise line).

As much as your worries are very much real- you will probably still have a great time, even IF all of those worries come true.

Haven't been on your itinerary but it sounds WONDERFUL. I've done 2 Med cruises, and added pre and post days in Europe, so 16 days with no laundry and most of us were females. We each checked ONE bag and had a carry-on. We did utilize the laundry bag special mid-week. We used it mostly for the clothes we wore during the day on excursions, since it was June and HOT. The men carried a couple of pairs of slacks with they only wore for a couple of hours (dinner) each night and then changed to a clean pair of cargo shorts, which they wore the next day on excursion. We had two sea days, so swimsuit for those days, then dinner outfit (re-worn slack and polo). It's really not that difficult to pack enough clothes to be fresh and clean without self-serve laundry. We had been accustomed to vacationing in a house or condo with laundry or a hotel with self-serve. I was horrified at the idea of a week with no laundry. NOW..I consider it a perk of cruising...NO LAUNDRY. I love receiving my package with all my fresh, clean clothes that I didn't have to wash, dry, fold. I also carry clothes that don't wrinkle and occasionally hand wash a couple of delicates in the sink, roll them tightly in a clean towel to get the excess water out and hang them to dry....and we packed clothes for TWO formal nights, with the men taking a suit (which doubled as one of the pair of slacks). In a pinch, you can even get a piece of clothing dry-cleaned. The prices aren't much different than what I pay from home. We pay by the drink because we don't drink that much. If you stay in a good hotel or non-all-inclusive resort, you'll pay just as much as on the ship for a drink. You aren't going to find a huge selection of movies and it's not going to the be ones premiering in your movie theaters. You also aren't going to pay $11 for a ticket. It's free. You aren't going to get a sales pitch even from the kiosks in the shopping areas. Give the shows a try. If you don't like it, walk out. You didn't have to pay a dime to check out the comedian or the broadway-type production. Do go to the Quest. Trust me. You'll enjoy it. Don't like the entree? Ask for a different one. You aren't paying for it. Want two appetizers? Order both. You aren't paying for it. Nothing better than waking up EVERY morning in a new place without packing and unpacking, walking off the ship for a new adventure every day or going up to the deck or your balcony and basking in the knowledge that you can call and have a meal or a snack delivered to your cabin to enjoy on your balcony...for free. I love the Seattle's Best coffee. I don't know why it's different in the dining room, but it is, so I go to the Main Dining Room for breakfast, but I also drink vast quantities at the cafe and in the Windjammer. Love the coffee delivered by room service. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE knowing that I won't be cooking, cleaning, making my bed, doing LAUNDRY, eating a dish I didn't enjoy because that's what I ordered and I'm stuck with it. I don't do the gym but I'm told by family members it's a great gym. Don't do Bingo, but I do set a budget for myself and go to the Casino. Go in with a good attitude and open mind. We were VERY apprehensive on our first cruise. We were there to celebrate my Mom and Dad's wedding anniversary. We've been hooked since then. We didn't want to leave the ship when the cruise was over. Never been bothered by people who were roaring drunk on a cruise. I'm sure they are there occasionally but it's like a small floating town so I guess I didn't run into them. You'll run into less of that on a cruise of 7 or more days. Maybe they are pacing themselves...lol. :D

Radiance is a fantastic ship.

You'll have a great time.....apart form the coffee.

As an Aussie...the coffee will nearly kill you. (Non Aussie's don't realise how strong our coffee culture is!) Being is a suite will save you. You have a coffee machine with the tea bag type pods. It is drinkable.

But on port days you will beeline to a decent hipster coffee shop! :)

There really is very little need to spend onboard unless you want to.

Some of the pay restaurants are so worth the money. The duty free grog pries are great as is much of the makeup.

But the rest of Radiance is great. And the Perth to Sydney trip is fantastic.

Raina

I agree with all of the replies and say don't fret it and enjoy. As stated the Radiance is a great ship having sailed on her and many of the other RCCL ships. Cruising is a wonderful adventure and who knows you may get hooked as many of us on here will attest. We just recently booked th Radiance for 2017 to take her completely around Australia. It was our most recent addition to our list of future cruises and it was another "bucket list" item.

All of your concerns will melt away as soon as you walk on board, see the other people enjoying themselves and you meet a ton of new friends.

I'm a lifelong control freak, raised by the mother of all control freaks. I get it. Please let me ease your mind a bit.

The concerns I have are;

Ask yourself this... what does it matter what the show/film is?

You're not held captive on board -- you can do as much or as little as you want. Honestly, on my last cruise, the ONLY evening "entertainment" I went to was The Quest (do not miss this -- SO much fun!) and the ice skating show. I spent time with friends (new and old), I spent time in the nightclub, I spent time on deck just looking at the stars and listening to the ocean, etc.

There will often be live music in some bar or another. There will often be trivia games or karaoke that you can participate in. Plus there will be a different "live action show" (comedian, magician, song-and-dance routine, etc.) in the big theater every night. But it doesn't matter what it is, because you're not required to do any of it. (And while it's not required, you'll be kicking yourself if you don't attend The Quest... and if you've never seen it before, the Love and Marriage show is always good for laughs, too!)

You're not required to get any drink package at all. I personally only get the soda package, as I typically drink diet cola at home (not a coffee drinker, so my diet cola is my caffeine fix for the day). At seven dollars a day, it's an excellent value based on the amount of soda/pop I typically drink. If you typically only have one or two alcoholic drinks per day, don't bother with a package - order the drinks you want and they will be added to your bill.

As for people trying to get their value from the package, that break-even point is typically around five or six drinks per day. A couple beers by the pool in the afternoon, a pre-dinner drink in the bar, a glass of wine at dinner, and a couple drinks in a bar or the nightclub in the evening, and they've broken even... I only drink a couple drinks per year, and even my teetotaling body wouldn't be "rolling drunk" on six drinks over a 12-hour period of time. You really are worrying over nothing here.

The lack of a laundry on a cruise of that length is an issue too. We will be limited by the luggage limits for the flights and I will want to bring my cameras, so that leave only a small space for clothes. So two sets of clothes in the tropics for over two weeks. I guess I will have plenty of room around me at the restaurants after day three

There are a gazillion lists on what to pack / what not to pack for a cruise, and every person's needs are unique. But I know for me, I spend A LOT of my cruise time wearing a bathing suit. I can wear the same shirt/pants to breakfast/lunch every single day -- nobody will even care -- and then switch into my swimsuit until dinnertime. (Full disclosure -- I stay up late every night and sleep in, so breakfast and lunch are often the same meal for me! ;))

I do recommend that you leave the laptop at home, unless you absolutely need it for work purposes during the cruise. And you may want to check with the airline to see if the CPAP machine will get its own baggage allowance -- medical supplies are often exempted from the limitations.

Try it and see if you like it. Based on comments from coffee drinkers, it's *not* the same as walking into a Starbucks shop. Or bring your own if it's that big a deal -- hot water is available.

It's not really a high-pressure sales pitch, IMO. Just like anything else, there ARE extras you can purchase if you wish, but you are under no obligation to do so, and people aren't going to be chasing you down asking you over and over and over again to spend more money.

There are shops selling jewelry and liquor and watches and cosmetics/perfume, and they will have "sales" where there are tables set up with products on them and salespeople next to them.... if you're not interested, just keep on walking. I've seen "gold by the inch" set up on a table by the Windjammer buffet... I wasn't interested and I walked on by with no problems.

If you book a spa treatment (massage, manicure, etc.), you will likely be hit by a sales pitch afterward to purchase their overpriced products, but you can simply say, "I'm not interested, please don't try to sell me anything additional" and that's that. I saw a t-shirt sale being held on the pool deck on my last cruise, and I actually had to hunt down an employee to get them to ring up my purchase -- no sales pressure at all.

There are specialty restaurants you can eat in for an additional cost, but you are under no obligation to do so. (I'm perfectly happy eating in the main dining room.) There are extras you can add on to your meal (an upgraded steak, for example) or you can get an after-dinner espresso or dessert liqueur for an additional charge, but you can also get a regular cup of coffee and an actual dessert that is included in your cruise fare.

There are shore excursions you can purchase if you want for the various ports you'll be stopping at, but you can also just get off the ship and walk around the port for free. Or do what many of us do and research your options in each port and book your own excursion with a private tour operator.

It's not at all unusual for me to not have a single additional charge on my account at the end of the week other than my drink package (and I usually buy that in advance anyway) and my daily gratuities.

A cruise can be intimidating for a control freak, because there are SO MANY OPTIONS. The trick is in acknowledging that you're still in control of your vacation/holiday.... you can just make your decisions on the fly (and even -- *gasp* -- change your mind!!!!), rather than having everything sorted out in advance of your departure.

I run into a lot of people who have never cruised before, and my standard line is that I believe a cruise is the PERFECT vacation for just about anyone.

If you like to go-go-go all the time, attending lectures and classes and bingo and trivia contests and shows and such all day and night... you can do that. There is *always* something going on somewhere on the ship. (If they have a fruit sculpture demonstration, try to attend -- it's fascinating!)

If, on the other hand, you prefer a do-nothing vacation, sitting in the shade reading a book, or lying on a lounge chair napping in the sun, or relaxing in the hot tub with the occasional dip in the pool... you can do that.

If you like to stay up all night and sleep in every morning (yep, that would be me!), you can do that. If you like to turn in early and watch the sun rise every morning from your balcony or the upper deck of the ship, you can do that.

It's YOUR trip -- you get to make it be whatever you want it to be. Relax. Breathe. You're going to have a great time. Trust a fellow control freak -- everything's going to be okay.