Let the Mexican Riviera Season Begin!

wilmingtech

We, along with Cruisin Tom were on the ship last week. First off, as most of you probably know, there was no damage to speak of in PV. The storm hit and left quite quickly, the God. Actually Texas probably got it worse. All we got on the ship was a very overcast day while in PV (just the day before the storm acutally hit) I don't think anyone cruisin the Jewel will have to worry about any damage to the port.

As for Whale watching, it will not really get going as I understand until about Dec. We witnessed it, many years ago, in January. Right now the big guys are just moving from Alaska to Mexico. we did see flying fish,as well as lots of sea lions in Cabo.

For those who have never done the MR, it is a different cruise experience. The demographics are not the usual, almost all the passengers are from Ca, and AZ, as well as the pacific NoWest. This past week was fall break for many schools, thus kids everywhere, but they were having a blast and mostly very well behaved.

We, along with Cruisin Tom were on the ship last week. First off, as most of you probably know, there was no damage to speak of in PV. The storm hit and left quite quickly, the God. Actually Texas probably got it worse. All we got on the ship was a very overcast day while in PV (just the day before the storm acutally hit) I don't think anyone cruisin the Jewel will have to worry about any damage to the port.

As for Whale watching, it will not really get going as I understand until about Dec. We witnessed it, many years ago, in January. Right now the big guys are just moving from Alaska to Mexico. we did see flying fish,as well as lots of sea lions in Cabo.

For those who have never done the MR, it is a different cruise experience. The demographics are not the usual, almost all the passengers are from Ca, and AZ, as well as the pacific NoWest. This past week was fall break for many schools, thus kids everywhere, but they were having a blast and mostly very well behaved.

Thanks for checking in Nita :) Can you tell me what night they had the VIP party on the Jewel?

Thanks!!

Thanks for checking in Nita :) Can you tell me what night they had the VIP party on the Jewel?

Thanks!!

We were not part of the VIP group this time but had friends that were: I think it was the next to the last night; can't swear to it though. The platinum party was Wednesday, early evening.

Edited by newmexicoNita

We were not part of the VIP group this time but had friends that were: I think it was the next to the last night; can't swear to it though. The platinum party was Wednesday, early evening.

Did you happen to save the daily schedules?

Thanks, I am a whole 4 points away from plat so next cruise [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just checked that the Jewel is currently in PV today. A change from the normal trip. This week is a private cruise for the Jewel. Maybe why the change in the normal itinerary. One of our employees, where I work, their family has a year around place in PV. Just a lot of rain and there was local flooding in the streets. Very little wind damage. Other than being hot and humid. Our cruise last week was great, hardly any wave action (darn). love the rough weather, watching the waves.

We are seasoned Caribbean cruisers but will have our first opportunity to take the Mexican Riviera cruise the week after Thanksgiving. I have been reading up on the ports, etc. but anything anyone can give me regarding information on the cruise or the ports would be appreciated. What will the weather be like in these ports in late November?

Any updates from Mexico?

A good story or two?

Is it still hot down there?

Any updated Freestyle Dailies?

I leave next Sunday and plan to do a Live From the Jewel thread so stay tuned [emoji6][emoji568]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

We are currently traveling through the southern part of California and thought it would be fun to jump over the border and check out some of the Northern part of the Baja. Specifically Rosarito.

We had a great time. The locals were very nice and fun to talk to. Very easy going and laid back vibes. By mid afternoon from just walking around the shops with the kids we were all ready for a siesta. Cannot wait for our cruise.

Anyways - The reason I am writing this is to give a little update about our experience with the Peso.

We took out 2000 Pesos from an ATM machine while we were down in Mexico. The rate I got from my bank on the withdrawal was right about 17.20 pesos to a dollar. The fee for the withdrawal from the machine was 35 pesos or $2.03. There was no fee from my bank. Total damage with the fee was $118.07 or 16.95 pesos to a US dollar.

Local bank/Currency trading places were trading around 16 pesos to a dollar plus a fee.

Most local venues were accepting american dollars at 1$ = 15 Pesos.

So the best deal for us was to get the Pesos from an ATM. Your bank (if they don't charge you a fee or its a small fee) might also be a good bet before you go down there. The ATMs in Cabo may have a higher fee than what we found in Rosarito. It looks like the dollar will continue climbing against the Peso through the first quarter of this year. Should be good for all of us.

If anyone knows what the fees are on the ATMs in Cabo and could share here it would be great to know.

I'm going to head out to the Port in LA on Sunday the 10th. I'll take some pictures and post them along with whatever information I can dig up for first time cruisers out of LA. It will be our first time cruising out of LA and it'll be nice to get a good idea of the layout before we get there.

Looking forward to our cruise on Jan 31st.

-Sean

We went out to the port a week early (yesterday the 3rd).

Here is what I found out-

Driving there could be a little crazy. There are many ways in. The main hwys in are 710 and 110. 110 seemed to be the longer route in if you are coming from the east but seemed to be the easier route as there was no construction or turns off to other roads. Take 110 in and you get off at the exit for Harbor Blvd (I think its exit 1a, its not marked). 710 Takes you from one side of the Port to the Other. Best to stay on 710 and follow the signs for Piers F-J and then it merges with 47/seaside freeway. Take it over the two bridges (both bridges are in the port as the port is massive) and right as you come over the 2nd bridge you will see exit 1C for Harbor blvd. Both ways get you right into the same exit ramp.

I was able to use google maps and typed in LA World Cruise Terminal and it got me right to the terminal. Without maps it wouldn't have been super difficult had I spent a few minutes looking at a map before driving in.

When you get to the bottom of the exit ramp go straight through the light (over Harbor Blvd) and then you will take a quick right on A Street and you are in the Terminal Parking. If you turn right at the light onto Harbor Blvd (you will be headed toward the battleship and ports o call) there is another entrance further down to the parking lot. The battleship and cruise terminal share the same lot. Different areas to park but if you see the battleship you are close and can drive around to cruise terminal parking.

A Street goes all the way around the parking area. If you want you can stay in the right lanes and drive all the way around to the porters and drop your luggage and fellow travelers off before you park the car and then do the loop back into the lot. Or just go straight into the lot and wheel your luggage over to the terminal. We did not see garage parking at all in the area so vehicle height is not an issue (our van is 8'5").

You drop off your your luggage and enter the terminal at "Berth 91" as you walk through the doors you'll walk around into the other terminal building "Berth 92" You cannot enter through Berth 92.

We were not allowed inside the terminal at all so I can't tell you whats behind door number 1. Security was very helpful at explaining the process of driving in and dropping off the luggage and heading into the terminal. They were completely locked down (Gates to parking and all building locked up) by 3pm. Jewel was moving and headed out of the Harbor by 4:10pm.

The Ports O' Call area looked like it might be fun but the whole terminal area itself all seemed disconnected. There is a nice walking park (Wilmington Park) a mile away from the terminal, There is a train that stops in front of the terminal (Red Trolly?), Ports O Call is over a mile from the Cruise Terminal and while there are a few hotels in the area, most are low end and nothing seems close.

Of the limited hotels only a few hole in the wall less than Best Western hotels that were less than 100 a night were walking distance from anything. The two close enough to walk were the Sunrise (very low end Best Western style) and the Crowne Plaza which has rooms starting at 175 but I am sure on ship departure days it goes up in price. Best Western San Pedro was a good walk from anything (more than a mile to the port and 1.5 miles to Ports o Call). Best Western was 118 a night but 199 a night on Saturdays.

Parking is currently (as of yesterday) 16$ a day. The security person told me that it was going up to 17 per day as of 2016 but had not yet changed to that rate yet and wasnt sure when that was supposed to happen.

The local area was very low end housing (bars on all the windows) and seemed a mix of businesses falling apart (a liquor store that sold sandwiches) closed for rent buildings and a west marine. And then as you got closer to Ports o Call there were quite a few restaurants and shops that looked nicer but really didn't look like anything more than a few bars and restaurants more focused on making a buck from tourists than making good food.

We were initially thinking of getting a hotel but with everything so spread out and unexciting we figured we will just show up and jump on the ship and enjoy the ship itself.

-Sean

We went out to the port a week early (yesterday the 3rd).

Here is what I found out-

Driving there could be a little crazy. There are many ways in. The main hwys in are 710 and 110. 110 seemed to be the longer route in if you are coming from the east but seemed to be the easier route as there was no construction or turns off to other roads. Take 110 in and you get off at the exit for Harbor Blvd (I think its exit 1a, its not marked). 710 Takes you from one side of the Port to the Other. Best to stay on 710 and follow the signs for Piers F-J and then it merges with 47/seaside freeway. Take it over the two bridges (both bridges are in the port as the port is massive) and right as you come over the 2nd bridge you will see exit 1C for Harbor blvd. Both ways get you right into the same exit ramp.

I was able to use google maps and typed in LA World Cruise Terminal and it got me right to the terminal. Without maps it wouldn't have been super difficult had I spent a few minutes looking at a map before driving in.

When you get to the bottom of the exit ramp go straight through the light (over Harbor Blvd) and then you will take a quick right on A Street and you are in the Terminal Parking. If you turn right at the light onto Harbor Blvd (you will be headed toward the battleship and ports o call) there is another entrance further down to the parking lot. The battleship and cruise terminal share the same lot. Different areas to park but if you see the battleship you are close and can drive around to cruise terminal parking.

A Street goes all the way around the parking area. If you want you can stay in the right lanes and drive all the way around to the porters and drop your luggage and fellow travelers off before you park the car and then do the loop back into the lot. Or just go straight into the lot and wheel your luggage over to the terminal. We did not see garage parking at all in the area so vehicle height is not an issue (our van is 8'5").

You drop off your your luggage and enter the terminal at "Berth 91" as you walk through the doors you'll walk around into the other terminal building "Berth 92" You cannot enter through Berth 92.

We were not allowed inside the terminal at all so I can't tell you whats behind door number 1. Security was very helpful at explaining the process of driving in and dropping off the luggage and heading into the terminal. They were completely locked down (Gates to parking and all building locked up) by 3pm. Jewel was moving and headed out of the Harbor by 4:10pm.

The Ports O' Call area looked like it might be fun but the whole terminal area itself all seemed disconnected. There is a nice walking park (Wilmington Park) a mile away from the terminal, There is a train that stops in front of the terminal (Red Trolly?), Ports O Call is over a mile from the Cruise Terminal and while there are a few hotels in the area, most are low end and nothing seems close.

Of the limited hotels only a few hole in the wall less than Best Western hotels that were less than 100 a night were walking distance from anything. The two close enough to walk were the Sunrise (very low end Best Western style) and the Crowne Plaza which has rooms starting at 175 but I am sure on ship departure days it goes up in price. Best Western San Pedro was a good walk from anything (more than a mile to the port and 1.5 miles to Ports o Call). Best Western was 118 a night but 199 a night on Saturdays.

Parking is currently (as of yesterday) 16$ a day. The security person told me that it was going up to 17 per day as of 2016 but had not yet changed to that rate yet and wasnt sure when that was supposed to happen.

The local area was very low end housing (bars on all the windows) and seemed a mix of businesses falling apart (a liquor store that sold sandwiches) closed for rent buildings and a west marine. And then as you got closer to Ports o Call there were quite a few restaurants and shops that looked nicer but really didn't look like anything more than a few bars and restaurants more focused on making a buck from tourists than making good food.

We were initially thinking of getting a hotel but with everything so spread out and unexciting we figured we will just show up and jump on the ship and enjoy the ship itself.

-Sean

If you are coming in a day early, I would suggest Long Beach rather than San Pedro. Our Downtown has great restaurants, a great waterfront and the Aquarium of the Pacific. I'm sure most hotels have shuttle service to and from LAX and the pier. Home of the Long Beach Grand Prix.

http://www.visitlongbeach.com/

From Downtown Long Beach, the San Pedro Cruise Terminal is literally a 15 minute drive over the very scenic bridges overlooking the Ports of Long Beach and LA.

Disclaimer: We live in Long Beach and seriously love our town. But we have no vested interest in selling our town to you. Just trust us on this one. ;)

Sean---Great information for folks driving to the Port for the first time. I have made the trip several times and your information will be very helpful. The maps and pictures are an extra plus. Thanks so much for your efforts.

Enjoy your cruise. We have to wait another couple of months.

Ray