Big Announcement coming soon (Week of 10/26?)

InTheWASide

I've seen a couple articles online that don't work when I try to paste them in this post, that indicate HAL is going to be making a huge announcement in the next week or so that "promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before". Other listings are referring to brand evolutions and some have hinted at large branding changes, fleet-wide enhancements and new brand initiatives. This is all supposed to take place at some huge event in New York City.

A couple of my contacts in the Seattle HQ have said there's a big meeting in the office early next week that seems like it may be related of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the NYC event and the news going public will happen the same day.

Seems like the next week or two could be some interesting ones for HAL

This is really exciting. As someone who enjoys the classic-style of cruising, I'm thrilled to see how that get's interpreted in the 21st century. As someone in his 30's, I hope that this tradition continues strongly for HAL. We both can't get enough of the "DAM" ships.

This is really exciting. As someone who enjoys the classic-style of cruising, I'm thrilled to see how that get's interpreted in the 21st century. As someone in his 30's, I hope that this tradition continues strongly for HAL. We both can't get enough of the "DAM" ships.

I'm in the same age group and definitely feel the same way. And with some very close connections to some staff I'm hopeful that these changes will be beneficial for them as well.

I'm just trying to figure out what/why the new announcement will be done in New York.

There's talk that Lincoln Center Stage and Billboard Onboard are going to be put in the Vista/Signature ships but that wouldn't necessitate another announcement to go to NYC to say "oh hey, more ships too"

That's the part that is kind of baffling me right now. We know they're building a new HQ in Seattle so they aren't relocating. And even if they were going to have a ship out of NYC more frequently it would be a major uphill battle for it to compete with Anthem of the Seas and others simply from a new/innovative perspective.

I'm just trying to figure out what/why the new announcement will be done in New York.

There's talk that Lincoln Center Stage and Billboard Onboard are going to be put in the Vista/Signature ships but that wouldn't necessitate another announcement to go to NYC to say "oh hey, more ships too".

While the Lincoln Center connection & the Billboard connection could very well be the reason, it's also possible that NYC provides a better place for media access. It could also be that they want a decent deli and some bagels.

My guess: Partnered affiliation w/ Princess and Seabourn (uniform past passenger programs, or at least them tied together).

I don't believe it's operational (my best contact is a fleet planner and unless he's great at keeping secrets this isn't the announcement of selling the last S-class ships that's coming soon).

Being in NYC just ties in with already announced ventures and media access.

Edited by sppunk

Don't kill the messenger or count on this being accurate (don't count on second hand information). My best friend has a friend who works for HAL in Seattle who said that an announcement would be made in October about no smoking. It was a general statement and I don't have any details.

Edited by qsuzi

My guess: Partnered affiliation w/ Princess and Seabourn (uniform past passenger programs, or at least them tied together).

I don't believe it's operational (my best contact is a fleet planner and unless he's great at keeping secrets this isn't the announcement of selling the last S-class ships that's coming soon).

That would help some ...

I have suggested such a step has been in the wind for a while. For quite some time, we have seen that Princess does something, we count some months and sure enough it appears on HAL. Seabourn's headquarters having been moved to HAL's building and sharing of many executives sends a message.

I hope we don't lose blue hulled beauties. Somehow I foresee white hulls coming to a cruise line many of us have loved for a very long time. Some meaningful changes seem to have been forthcoming for a while now. Aren't Princess and HAL already connected given Stein Kruse's newly created position?

We'll see soon enough, it appears.

Edited by sail7seas

I've seen a couple articles online that don't work when I try to paste them in this post, that indicate HAL is going to be making a huge announcement in the next week or so that "promises to take Holland America Line in a bold direction where no cruise line has ever gone before". Other listings are referring to brand evolutions and some have hinted at large branding changes, fleet-wide enhancements and new brand initiatives. This is all supposed to take place at some huge event in New York City.

A couple of my contacts in the Seattle HQ have said there's a big meeting in the office early next week that seems like it may be related of course that doesn't necessarily mean that the NYC event and the news going public will happen the same day.

Seems like the next week or two could be some interesting ones for HAL

That part could be CUBA ... or no smoking. The suspense is already killing me.:eek:

Or maybe they are ringing the bell at the stock market and splitting the stock?

Cheers!

Edited by AZNative2000

Don't kill the messenger or count on this being accurate (don't count on second hand information). My best friend has a friend who works for HAL in Seattle who said that an announcement would be made in October about no smoking. It was a general statement and I don't have any details.

I hope this is true, but I don't see why they'd announce an announcement for it and it certainly wouldn't be unique to HAL.

Maybe HAL is going to announce it's going to allow smoking everywhere and give out free cancer sticks to all 2-star and above Mariners. :) (I kid, I kid!)

HAL doesn't give us 'breaking news'. Good thing we can get it here. :D :D

Maybe they need some HAL posters to work in their PR Department. :)

Great idea about HAL posters who work in HAL's PR Department. :)

Edited by qsuzi

I hope this is true, but I don't see why they'd announce an announcement for it and it certainly wouldn't be unique to HAL.

Maybe HAL is going to announce it's going to allow smoking everywhere and give out free cancer sticks to all 2-star and above Mariners. :) (I kid, I kid!)

When my friend told me I said I thought this was wrong information. Your post made me smile.

Please please please let this be it! :cool:

Edited by qsuzi

Please please please let this be it! :cool:

qsuzi,

Please don't misunderstand my post to be argumentative but I am sincerely curious why you think this would be a good thing for HAL loyalists?

what we were told by a good source a while back was that HAL's future plans are not going to go over big with long time high day Mariners .. they were also trying to work out a plan combining HAL Mariner days with Princess and Seaborne--all in the HAL group..

actually I'd be happy these days if I could ever get HAL to send me an email or two-- can't remember the last time I've received one from them

I wonder if the October meeting is simply the regular get together for the senior officers on all of the HAL ships. I recall reading the following last week on the blog by “arzz” on the “Tales of the South Pacific 2015” cruise going on right now.

…It seems Captain Eversen along with Henk Mensink (Hotel Director) and Christel Mensink (Guest Relations Manager) will be leaving us on October 22 (when we are in Apia) and returning on November 4 (when we are in Papeete). According to today's "On Location" they are being required to represent the vessel for Holland America Line in a pending legal matter...

So the senior officers from at least the Amsterdam are likely attending the meeting. This meeting would, of course, be a great place to announce any future plans for Holland America.

Scott & Karen

I wonder if the October meeting is simply the regular get together for the senior officers on all of the HAL ships. I recall reading the following last week on the blog by “arzz” on the “Tales of the South Pacific 2015” cruise going on right now.

…It seems Captain Eversen along with Henk Mensink (Hotel Director) and Christel Mensink (Guest Relations Manager) will be leaving us on October 22 (when we are in Apia) and returning on November 4 (when we are in Papeete). According to today's "On Location" they are being required to represent the vessel for Holland America Line in a pending legal matter...

So the senior officers from at least the Amsterdam are likely attending the meeting. This meeting would, of course, be a great place to announce any future plans for Holland America.

Scott & Karen

In June or July all the senior officers had their meetings in Miami and look what happened: no officers at CC meetings, no VIP parties, no Captain's Receptions.....