Best beaches for 4 yr old - Cozumel, Ochos Rios & Cayman Islands

EB13

Hi,

We are going on the NCL Getaway in a few weeks on Familymoon :) soooooo excited as its the first time our 4 yr old daughter will have been on cruise with us. She mainly wants to go to the beach, so we're looking for recommendations of nice clean & safe beaches, close to port if possible with facilities (loungers, food & toilets).

Thanks!

7 Mile beach in GC is an easy bus ride....the beach is clear and calm.....Seagrape Beach is an access point with lounger/umbrealla rentals, restrooms, food/drink....when you're done, walk to the road (easily visible from the beach) and the next bus will stop and take you back to the tender port area! Very easy!

Yeah, I've been reading about Jamaica & had contemplated a ship day. Think DH will possibly go on organised trip to Dunns river falls while we chill out.

Thanks for the tips so far, I'm busy researching your suggestions tonight.

We love Chankanaab park in Cozumel. It has a little cove area that is perfect for really young kids (and even older). We went when mine were 4, 8, and 12 and my younger two didn't want to leave the cove area as they were busy building sand castles and splashing. It also has a sea lion show, mayan ruins, good snorkelling. You can get a taxi for $15. Admission is like $20 for adults and less for kids. There are online coupons. The other thing there that is really awesome is the dolphin encounter. Under 5 is free with an adult and if you book well in advance, there are really good deals that include admission to the park. You have to tell them you are staying in a hotel, but no one will check this, it is just because they have the contract with the cruiselines. You will pay about 1/3 of what the cruiselines charge for the same excursion. We arrived at the park on our own, built sand castles, saw the sea lion show, and were visiting our dolphin before the cruiseline tour buses even arrived!!

We love Chankanaab park in Cozumel. It has a little cove area that is perfect for really young kids (and even older). We went when mine were 4, 8, and 12 and my younger two didn't want to leave the cove area as they were busy building sand castles and splashing. It also has a sea lion show, mayan ruins, good snorkelling. You can get a taxi for $15. Admission is like $20 for adults and less for kids. There are online coupons. The other thing there that is really awesome is the dolphin encounter. Under 5 is free with an adult and if you book well in advance, there are really good deals that include admission to the park. You have to tell them you are staying in a hotel, but no one will check this, it is just because they have the contract with the cruiselines. You will pay about 1/3 of what the cruiselines charge for the same excursion. We arrived at the park on our own, built sand castles, saw the sea lion show, and were visiting our dolphin before the cruiseline tour buses even arrived!!

I would second this. They have a small beach area (cove referred to above) that leads straight into the water. In addition, there is the pool and a larger raised sand beach that has steps cut into coral. It is a great place for adults to snorkel. They also have a crocodile/cayman exhibit. And tons of iguanas wandering around the lagoon. It is a really pretty property. And I would second all the advice above - the dolphins are a great experience.

We enjoy Mr. Sanchos beach in Cozumel. They have the aquatic play area (things to climb and trampolines) and a nice beach and also a pool. Food options are plentiful there. We've been once and will be going back again on our cruise in a couple weeks.

I second Mr. Sanchos. We got the couple canaba and add our DS on. It was nice because we had a shade place to rest.

Playa Mia is great for kids in Cozumel, the ship likely has an excursion or you can book cheaper on your own.

This is where we went with out kids. We all had a great time. I found that there was only an $8 difference between booking through the cruiseline and booking on our own. I think it is $300 or so for 4 of us and that includes food and all you can drink. There is a pool and a few slides and a kids area in the pool and there is a beach. We loved it there.

I just posted most of this on another thread but we've been to all of those places when our dd was both 2 and 3.

I second Playa Mia. We've been there twice and dd loved it. It was hard to get her to leave.

We also went to Seven Mile Beach and it was a great. Can either be done on your own or as part of a beach break.

Also agree on not doing Ocho Rios on your own. However, we did a beach break there and they brought us to a very nice beach with good services and entertainment.

We like to do the packages from the ship since they include transportation which is usually a larger bus or a smaller bus with seat belts. In taxis you never know what you're going to get.

I know you are asking about beaches, but, if you are on Grand Caymen, you may want to consider going to the Turtle farm

Excellent idea. The entire operation will fascinate the kids just looking at the variety of turtles. They have a wide variety of activities including swimming with the turtles, photo ops where kids (and adults too) can hold turtles for photos, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi,

We are going on the NCL Getaway in a few weeks on Familymoon :) soooooo excited as its the first time our 4 yr old daughter will have been on cruise with us. She mainly wants to go to the beach, so we're looking for recommendations of nice clean & safe beaches, close to port if possible with facilities (loungers, food & toilets).

Thanks!

I did not like Chankanaab park. The water was blah. I didn't like the cove because there were a lot of drops in the deepness of the water. So my son would be playing in the shallow area and then all the sudden in a very deep area. Also it was really rocky. Their was a kiddie pool which we spent most of our time in. The unlimited buffet was like cafeteria food. Not remotely "authentic" and the lines were really long. The bar however was really fast because you tip per pour.

We hired a private tour guide which was wonderful in Ocho Rios. He took us to bamboo beach which was decent.

At Grand Cayman-I can't remember the name of the resort we went to but I think anywhere on 7 mile beach is good. We paid entry and also paid for an umbrella and they did beach side wait service which was fantastic.

Yeah, I've been reading about Jamaica & had contemplated a ship day. Think DH will possibly go on organised trip to Dunns river falls while we chill out.

Thanks for the tips so far, I'm busy researching your suggestions tonight.

Just back from Ocho Rios (New grandparents contemplating bringing kids and baby on next cruise.) This is what we found. There is a small beach in front of Margaritaville right where you get off the ship OR if you walk towards town (short walk) there is a guarded beach with a gate - you pay $3 each. It had food and restrooms, loungers etc. It would provide a chance for some play in the sand and water quite close to the ship.