Upgrade Fairy - booking last minute - Notification?

tbmrt

Yesterday I was talking with a friend whose relative booked an inside cabin last minute for an early 11 night cruise. Said she had asked for Aqua Class, but nothing was available.

When her relative went to check in, she saw that she was assigned an Aqua Class cabin appeared instead of the inside she paid for.

A few years ago a friend of mine did a very last minute reservation and was upgraded to a suite!

Questions:

When one receives upgrades like these, are they notified by Celebrity or just "surprised" at the upgrade when the do check-in?

I'v read that upgrades are given randomly and wonder if these two huge upgrades for insides booked last minute are just a coincidence. Has anyone ever received such wonderful upgrades like these?

Just curious.

When one receives upgrades like these
they eventually wake up and realize they had a very sweet dream.:o ;)

We once booked a gty oceanview. I have a picture of my husband sitting on the bed with the tiny porthole behind him, with such a sad look on his face. Never again!:eek:

Edited by Muushka

Yesterday I was talking with a friend whose relative booked an inside cabin last minute for an early 11 night cruise. Said she had asked for Aqua Class, but nothing was available.

When her relative went to check in, she saw that she was assigned an Aqua Class cabin appeared instead of the inside she paid for.

A few years ago a friend of mine did a very last minute reservation and was upgraded to a suite!

Questions:

When one receives upgrades like these, are they notified by Celebrity or just "surprised" at the upgrade when the do check-in?

I'v read that upgrades are given randomly and wonder if these two huge upgrades for insides booked last minute are just a coincidence. Has anyone ever received such wonderful upgrades like these?

Just curious.

I booked a last minute (week away) Canada New England cruise and paid half of what my friends had paid and got an inside gty. Two days later I checked and I was in a wonderful verandah! They still had an inside at their original price (which was not cheap). I call that an upgrade!

I have never received an upgrade from Celebrity, but now on RCCL the last time we cruised with them we booked an inside and about a week before we sailed I got a call from RCCl. They actually asked if we would like to be upgraded to a balcony! AH YES! It was the only upgrade we have ever received.

I have never received an upgrade from Celebrity, but now on RCCL the last time we cruised with them we booked an inside and about a week before we sailed I got a call from RCCl. They actually asked if we would like to be upgraded to a balcony! AH YES! It was the only upgrade we have ever received.

Never an upgrade from Celebrity, but quite a few from Princess

Our upgrade was at the dock. Imagine our surprise to walk into a 2 room suite! Found out later it was due to some last minute requests for a family to have side by side rooms. Guess we lucked out! This was with Celebrity on the Mercury years ago. Keeps the dream alive though... always hoping for that next one! :)

Edited by dewesd

At the other end of the cabin spectrum: I recently booked an inside gty for a Feb sailing and was pleased that my cabin has already been assigned two months before final payment. I was "upgraded" within the category to an inside 9 even though there are a few cat. 9s still for sale for several hundred dollars more (for two people) than my guarantee price. I guess I can still hope the fairy will reappear but I'm satisfied with what I got especially since the ship is almost sold out.

• 1 year later...

Last summer we booked an inside guarantee on Celebrity about 4 weeks before sailing, snagging what we believed was the last cabin available on that cruise, and were upgraded to Concierge Class. Wonderful surprise. Am sure that doesn't happen often.