Disney Cruise in January HELLP (atlantis)

monicasp8

We are going on our first Disney Cruise in January (20th) leaving out of Miami. I am worried about it being cold, we want to go to the Atlantis but I am troubled as to what to do. We are interested in water park or maybe even the dolphin encounter. Any tips would be helpful for someone who has been that time of the year if the water was too cold, Also I have read where we cant get on boat earlier than 1:30 now, has anyone went recently and got on the boat earlier?

While boarding does happening earlier, when do complete the online checkin, you will have 15min time slots to select from for boarding. Not all of the times will be available due to the hire ranking club members getting to select before you.

That 1:30 time hasn't been around since 1998. Boarding starts about 11:15, sometimes a bit earlier or later depending on how the disembarkation from the previous cruise went. Yes, we have boarded the Magic about 11:15 on several recent cruises. I trust you are on the Dream, but the schedule is basically the same.

We've only done a couple January cruises, but several February. The one thing I can say about the weather is that it is variable. We've had it be warm and wonderful with our perception of the water being warm. We've also had it be freezing (in the 40s), but that only happened once. You certainly can't predict it now. Really, the water temperature varies only slightly, but perception is influenced by the air temperature. On a warm, sunny day the water feels great. On a cloudy, cold day the water also feels cold...even though the actually variation in water temp may be less than one degree. If you pop out of the water and are cold, you think the water is cold. Pop up and you are comfortable, the water is "warm."

Be sure to do your on line check in at 75 days before your cruise and select your "Port Arrival Time." This will be tied to your boarding card number and will tell you about what time you may arrive and prepare to board. If you get a time later than 12:30 or 1, show up at 12:30 anyhow!

Edited by moki'smommy

So do you recommend the Atlantis? Going to Nassau, Key West, and their private Island. We have 2 5 year olds a 9 year old and a one year old with us and then grandparents....really want to do the atlantis just want to make sure its worth the money with the water park.

If you do Atlantis, do it thru the hotel (so you have a room to go to, etc. and it is cheaper!) But honestly, a 1 year old--no benefit. 2 5 year olds--maybe. The 9 year old would like it. Grandparents--maybe.

I'd stay on the ship (no charge) and enjoy all the ship facilities with no crowds. Atlantis is nice, but far to costly for your demographic IMHO.

So do you recommend the Atlantis? Going to Nassau, Key West, and their private Island. We have 2 5 year olds a 9 year old and a one year old with us and then grandparents....really want to do the atlantis just want to make sure its worth the money with the water park.

The weather can be hit or miss in Nassau in the winter. You might wait and book 10 days before so you can check out the weather forecast. Keep in mind that the Atlantis waterpark hours are shorter in the winter months, they are open from 9a.m to 5p.m. But there is so much to enjoy at the Atlantis, I love visiting the aquariums and all the artwork. I've booked with bahamasdaypass dot com and saved a lot of money. Children 3 and under are complimentary. I've done the dolphin pass with them as well, and it's worked out that my husband didn't want to participate so he was able to take pictures for us and saved us from having to pay for their pictures there. Taxi's will be waiting at the pier and Atlantis is only 10 minutes away, rates are about $4 per person but keep in mind car seats are generally not offered.

Resortforaday is another great option, where you can book a room at the Comfort Suites next door for up to 4 guests and get a private room for the day and it includes FULL access to the Atlantis resort. They also have day passes for the British Colonial Hilton which is a nice excursion that is within walking distance from the pier.

Edited by happychippy
adding text

I agree with the weather having a mind of it's own. We were in Freeport and Nassau in January a few years ago. When we were in Freeport, I was literally in jeans and a jacket walking around because I was freezing. But when we were in Nassau the next day we were on the beach in shorts and tank tops. I'd say plan for both weather types, just in case. Maybe start checking the weather a few days before leaving to see if there are any cold fronts coming in, that way you can make arrangements if you need to.

The weather in your ports will be similar to Florida weather. About 15-20 degrees more than your home turf.....depending on what any "cold fronts' do...you know they can drop pretty far south that time of year. If you book it, and find it's going to be too cold, then you can cancel...with the proper notice!

Another vote for staying on the ship. It is the perfect time for let the little ones play in Nemo's Reef, the older ones to ride the AquaDuck, play mini golf, character meet and greets, ect while the ship is less crowded.

There is about as much activities going on when in port as Nassau as there is for when the ship is at sea for the day.

We have done the 3 and 4 night Dream cruises from Port Canaveral and have not bothered getting off as Nassau.