ATMs in Europe questions

Cyber Kat

Unfortunately, those are the ones most frequently targeted. Clearly, if you want to steal cards, the best places are busy ATMs in shopping streets where people are loitering and a getaway is fairly easy. American cards, with their lower level of security are the most desirable.

ATMs inside shops or bank lobbies have more restricted access and frequently CCTV which makes them just a little less vulnerable. You should also watch out for the ATMs that charge a fee for their use. These are often found in smaller shops and garages. They will always advise you that a fee is being charged and how much it is.

I think we're talking about two different security issues. You're talking about the physical theft of the card. I'm talking about devices added to the machine that steal information.

The ones in dark hallways in bars and clubs are my big worry, but, we agree about ATMs in well-lit establishments. In the US, Citibank places its proprietary ATMs in Seven-Eleven convenience stores in Western NY and in Sarasota, FL and I use those without hesitation. Grocery store ATMs would be another type of establishment where I'd use the machines with confidence. However, I don't recall seeing ATMs in "shops" other than some dark establishments where drinking is the focus. I feel more concerned about those than about using a street access ATM belonging to a bank.

We agree that the lobby of a bank remains the safest place to withdraw money.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

In July, we were on a Baltic cruise that included a port call in Amsterdam and a week pre-cruise in London. I was struck by the fact that Europeans are able to charge expenses at far more places than Americans can. For example, charging for taxi rides is a sometimes thing in the US, but in the places on our itinerary, charging taxis was close to universal. You may want to come back on this board with questions about some of the specific expenses you anticipate and find out whether these are likely to be chargeable or not. The answer to those questions will impact how much cash you'll want to carry.

Not quite your question, but here's good news about US charge cards, at least in the places on our itinerary: The fear and hysteria in the US about needing a credit card with a pin has died down. The US banks were so opposed to that switch that European credit card readers now are set to accept automatically US credit cards without a PIN. (My two travel credit cards actually have a true PIN and I only needed it once to make a purchase.)

Some good info - thanks! I didn't know about the cabs. Cabs in NYC take credit cars, but most of our local NJ cabs don't. That was one of the things I thought we might need cash for.

We have the new chip cards, so we're good to go! I've only found one store that has the new machines so far - Target!

Unfortunately, those are the ones most frequently targeted. Clearly, if you want to steal cards, the best places are busy ATMs in shopping streets where people are loitering and a getaway is fairly easy. American cards, with their lower level of security are the most desirable.

ATMs inside shops or bank lobbies have more restricted access and frequently CCTV which makes them just a little less vulnerable. You should also watch out for the ATMs that charge a fee for their use. These are often found in smaller shops and garages. They will always advise you that a fee is being charged and how much it is.

That's what I would have thought ... but then again, we don't use them. Thanks for the info

We agree that the lobby of a bank remains the safest place to withdraw money.

Well - a bank lobby it is then! I don't think we'll be doing it more than once or twice. And it's more of a just in case thing. Certainly don't plan to frequent any dark alleys :)

Edited by Cyber Kat

ATM's which do not impose a "transaction charge" are usually found outside and inside banks. Typically in Europe a choice of flags appear; I recommend the Union Flag (Union Jack) then you get all the options and follow on screen instructions. If there are a number of people hanging about the machine but staying back a few feet it is probably the queue. If you are worried get a companion to keep an eye on your back particularly as the money emerges. Do not riffle the money at the machine counting it - who are you going to argue with?

Regards John

ATM's which do not impose a "transaction charge" are usually found outside and inside banks. Typically in Europe a choice of flags appear; I recommend the Union Flag (Union Jack) then you get all the options and follow on screen instructions. If there are a number of people hanging about the machine but staying back a few feet it is probably the queue. If you are worried get a companion to keep an eye on your back particularly as the money emerges. Do not riffle the money at the machine counting it - who are you going to argue with?

Regards John

Also - great tips! Thanks. I'll make sure my husband has my back, and I won't count the money! Got it! :)