ATMs in Europe questions

Cyber Kat

This may sound like a silly question - but we don't use ATMs (my husband fixed them for awhile and he had horror stories :) ) normally. I've heard that the exchange rate for dollars to euros is better and the ATMs in Europe, but I have no idea what the procedure is. Are they easy to locate? Do you have to have an ATM card. Do you need a special ATM card that will work in their machines? Can you use a credit card?

I want to go prepared. We probably won't need more than small change for tips and perhaps a meal or a drink. We're doing a Rhine River cruise with Viking but we will be staying in Amsterdam for 2 days before the cruise and in Lucerne for 2 days after. I'd rather not carry a lot of cash, so ATMs sound like the way to go. I also think I'd rather use an ATM linked to my checking account if that will work.

TIA!

This may sound like a silly question - but we don't use ATMs (my husband fixed them for awhile and he had horror stories :) ) normally. I've heard that the exchange rate for dollars to euros is better and the ATMs in Europe, but I have no idea what the procedure is. Are they easy to locate? Do you have to have an ATM card. Do you need a special ATM card that will work in their machines? Can you use a credit card?

I want to go prepared. We probably won't need more than small change for tips and perhaps a meal or a drink. We're doing a Rhine River cruise with Viking but we will be staying in Amsterdam for 2 days before the cruise and in Lucerne for 2 days after. I'd rather not carry a lot of cash, so ATMs sound like the way to go. I also think I'd rather use an ATM linked to my checking account if that will work.

TIA!

Just to say Lucerne, Switzerland, use the Swiss Franc.

A quick search would find dozens of threads recommending ATMs as the best source for your cash. Yes, the exchange rate is better. Other than an issue with 4 digit vs 5 digit PINs, ATMs work just like at home. They will have a selection for preferred language, so select the Union Jack for English in Germany, or Switzerland, or elsewhere.

No different or special card required. ATMs are very widespread, but recommend for security purposes, using an ATM physically within a bank.

We do not use ATMs at home but they are great for travel. Use your regular ATM card & the funds will come from your accounts same as home. Just make sure that you have enough funds to cover any monetary conversions. ATMs are all over Europe but I still feel safer when they are outside of a bank, but that's just me. Just use the same precautions that you would use at home.

The ones we have used are easy with good instructions .

Edited by surebeatssailing
added note

A quick search would find dozens of threads recommending ATMs as the best source for your cash. Yes, the exchange rate is better. Other than an issue with 4 digit vs 5 digit PINs, ATMs work just like at home. They will have a selection for preferred language, so select the Union Jack for English in Germany, or Switzerland, or elsewhere.

No different or special card required. ATMs are very widespread, but recommend for security purposes, using an ATM physically within a bank.

Good tip - thanks! When do you add the extra digit to your card?

We do not use ATMs at home but they are great for travel. Use your regular ATM card & the funds will come from your accounts same as home. Just make sure that you have enough funds to cover any monetary conversions. ATMs are all over Europe but I still feel safer when they are outside of a bank, but that's just me. Just use the same precautions that you would use at home.

The ones we have used are easy with good instructions .

Thanks - I need instructions! We have 2 checking accounts, so this would be just for the trip. I'll make sure to have extra. I mostly just don't want to be carrying more cash than I have to. Will probably get enough euros to cover the first day in Amsterdam to take with us - for tips etc.

Yes - Do not use a credit card and Yes, do try to use one in a bank.

To be honest, you will need very little cash which makes the exchange rate irrelevant. I suggest that you bring a hundred or so Euros and the same in Swiss Francs with you. You can use your credit card for most purchases such as meals or souvenirs.

Gratuities are another matter:

Viking River Cruises recommends 12 euros per person, per day, for the crew; 2 euros per person, per day, for the program director; 2 euros per person, per day, for local city guides; and 1 euro per person, per day, for coach drivers.

So for a seven night cruise they expect you to tip 35 Euros a day = 245 Euros. They will happily accept Dollars on a one-for-one exchange. Personally I consider this excessive but I am British.

The main thing is to take care and to shield your pin as you type it in so anybody looking on can't see it.

Good one. Avoid ATM's where people are hanging around with no cause, cancel a transaction if you feel someone is watching you or approaching you while you're getting cash. There are lots of ATM's around so walk away if you feel unsafe or uncertain. You will see another ATM within 5 minutes.

Stay with the ATM if you don't receive any bills from the machine, we've had some cases of Eastern European gangs rigging ATM's with tape and bill fetch constructions, fake num pads to copy a pin or rigged card readers. Seems to be a thing of the past now as ATM's are constantly updated.

Other than that, if you use common sense you will be fine in Amsterdam. I've never experienced any trouble or probably avoided it before it became trouble. :)

And remember that each time you use an ATM, someone is charging you a fee therefore, you should try to determine about how much you will need and get it at one transaction.

LUCERNE is fabulous. We took a day trip by train to Interlaken, then transferred to the local train up the mountain to Grindelwald. On the way back we stopped off in Brienz for a beer and Pizza. Made for a long day but well worth it if you are active.

Good one. Avoid ATM's where people are hanging around with no cause, cancel a transaction if you feel someone is watching you or approaching you while you're getting cash. There are lots of ATM's around so walk away if you feel unsafe or uncertain. You will see another ATM within 5 minutes.

Stay with the ATM if you don't receive any bills from the machine, we've had some cases of Eastern European gangs rigging ATM's with tape and bill fetch constructions, fake num pads to copy a pin or rigged card readers. Seems to be a thing of the past now as ATM's are constantly updated.

Other than that, if you use common sense you will be fine in Amsterdam. I've never experienced any trouble or probably avoided it before it became trouble. :)

Yikes! I've just always been wary of the whole ATM situation. My sister had her pin stolen in NYC and she never even saw the guy. He must have been using binoculars or something. She said she looked to make sure no one was close.

To be honest, you will need very little cash which makes the exchange rate irrelevant. I suggest that you bring a hundred or so Euros and the same in Swiss Francs with you. You can use your credit card for most purchases such as meals or souvenirs.

Gratuities are another matter:

So for a seven night cruise they expect you to tip 35 Euros a day = 245 Euros. They will happily accept Dollars on a one-for-one exchange. Personally I consider this excessive but I am British.

Oh good - thanks! I've been wondering about that also - how much cash to bring. Can you pay the gratuities with a credit card? I know for ocean cruises they go on your Sign & Sail account - which I pay with a credit card. Does Viking allow you to prepay them, like some of the ocean lines?

LUCERNE is fabulous. We took a day trip by train to Interlaken, then transferred to the local train up the mountain to Grindelwald. On the way back we stopped off in Brienz for a beer and Pizza. Made for a long day but well worth it if you are active.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to Lucerne. We were thinking of the Mt Pilatus tour with the boat ride on the lake. Is the Interlaken-Grindwald trip a better option?

Yikes! I've just always been wary of the whole ATM situation. My sister had her pin stolen in NYC and she never even saw the guy. He must have been using binoculars or something. She said she looked to make sure no one was close.

Again, as suggested before, use an ATM physically inside a bank or other business. Or before bag claim at the airport, a secure area.

The main thing is to take care and to shield your pin as you type it in so anybody looking on can't see it.

Hi All,

Also be very careful of the "hole in the wall" (ATM) some criminals fit a device over the slot where you put your card into which reads the magnetic strip and a small camera that videos your PIN.

If the machines looks wrong - don't use it.

Pete

Thanks! I'm looking forward to Lucerne. We were thinking of the Mt Pilatus tour with the boat ride on the lake. Is the Interlaken-Grindwald trip a better option?

I considered the Mt Pilatus tour as well but our hotel clerk suggested Grindelwald. It makes for a long day but was a highlight of our trip. Train travel was a breeze.

I mostly just don't want to be carrying more cash than I have to. Will probably get enough euros to cover the first day in Amsterdam to take with us - for tips etc.

In July, we were on a Baltic cruise that included a port call in Amsterdam and a week pre-cruise in London. I was struck by the fact that Europeans are able to charge expenses at far more places than Americans can. For example, charging for taxi rides is a sometimes thing in the US, but in the places on our itinerary, charging taxis was close to universal. You may want to come back on this board with questions about some of the specific expenses you anticipate and find out whether these are likely to be chargeable or not. The answer to those questions will impact how much cash you'll want to carry.

Not quite your question, but here's good news about US charge cards, at least in the places on our itinerary: The fear and hysteria in the US about needing a credit card with a pin has died down. The US banks were so opposed to that switch that European credit card readers now are set to accept automatically US credit cards without a PIN. (My two travel credit cards actually have a true PIN and I only needed it once to make a purchase.)

It's best if you travel with credit cards that, at least, have a chip. I've heard that occasionally, some smaller establishment can't handle a swipe-only US card. However, generally, you won't have problems even with the most antiquated US swipe credit card.

If you don't already have credit cards with chips, contact your bank to see about getting one. Cards with chips are becoming more common, especially since about a month ago, US merchants were supposed to have fully enabled their chip reading credit card machines. (Most still haven't, a month past the deadline!!!) But this change means many banks are automatically issuing new chip cards to their customers or chip versions are easily available by request.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

Again, as suggested before, use an ATM physically inside a bank or other business. Or before bag claim at the airport, a secure area.

As Cruiser Bruce said, an ATM inside a bank is the most secure, but I'd rather use an ATM that fronts on the street if the building where the machine is installed is a bank or credit union. I'm really reluctant to use an ATM inside a business, especially especially a machine with no bank name on it.

As Cruiser Bruce said, an ATM inside a bank is the most secure, but I'd rather use an ATM that fronts on the street if the building where the machine is installed is a bank or credit union. I'm really reluctant to use an ATM inside a business, especially especially a machine with no bank name on it.

Unfortunately, those are the ones most frequently targeted. Clearly, if you want to steal cards, the best places are busy ATMs in shopping streets where people are loitering and a getaway is fairly easy. American cards, with their lower level of security are the most desirable.

ATMs inside shops or bank lobbies have more restricted access and frequently CCTV which makes them just a little less vulnerable. You should also watch out for the ATMs that charge a fee for their use. These are often found in smaller shops and garages. They will always advise you that a fee is being charged and how much it is.