Carnival vs. Private Trip Insurance

xbatt8

Could someone who has purchased either or both please compare and contrast the different trip insurance policies out there. I have never used trip insurance, but am thinking about it for an upcoming B2B where the costs of the cruises, travel, and the number of foreign ports are extensive.

Curious about medical coverage while out of the country, trip cancellation, and costs?

Recommendations are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

I use insuremytrip.com . There are tons of policies to choose from. It is more extensive than Carnival's insurance. I always get at least $500,000 for emergency evacuation. Usually a million. It costs usually around $80 for 2 people, but the prices and limits vary. I have never had to use it but always buy it.

Go with the outside company (name in the post above). I am going back and forth with the insurance company for Carnival, and I keep having to provide information to them. Also, Carnival does not have a "cancel for any reason" clause -- there has to be a reason you cancel. Meaning, you lose your job, you get sick, have surgery, have military duty, or get a subpoena for jury duty.

Going the outside company route is the better option, and I will be using this option going forward.

These dotcoms have an extensive list of policies to choose from. Squaremouth has better filters to weed out those policies that do not have the benefits that you would prefer. If you want the Cancel for any reason clause, most policies are only available for purchase within a specific time after you make your first payment towards the trip - 10 , 14, or 21 days.

I would recommend using only policies that pay medical claims as Primary with no deductible. The cost of the policies will vary widely.

:)

I have done both. I found carnivals insurance very limiting to the point that it favors the cruise line. For the next trip I purchased a gold policy through insuremytrip.com. I did a search and came up with a site that let me compare side by side different policies from different companies. I recommend you search for that. I went with the policy I did due to several factors, the overall cost of the trip, the medical coverage and cancel for any reason. My whole trip is covered through this, the air fair for 3, the hotel, the cost of the cruise and the shore excursions. I insured my trip for $333, for $8000 of coverage. When I used carnival it was just to cover the cruise without the cancel for any reason. The cancelation policy was important for me as I work for the government and they frequently cancel vacations for little to no reason with little notice.

Hi Bob!

Mom likes the Travel Guard Silver or Gold plan. By buying it now you won't get pre-existing coverage. Many of these plans are secondary insurance. Adds the 'hoop' of first being denied by your primary.

We've used them to find doctors in Morocco. Lots of follow up, etc.

Say hi to Marti!

Edited by SadieN

I can vouch for Travel Guard. I have filed one claim with them in the past and had no issues arise, and am in the process of filing a second claim with them. I've never even considered using Carnival's insurance. It tends to having a higher price and lower coverage. There are several good travel insurance companies out there. Just look at reviews and approval ratings. "Cancel for any reason" is worth considering. I haven't purchased it in the past, but after having to cancel two out of four of my last cruises, I've purchased it for my upcoming cruise.

I use insuremytrip.com . There are tons of policies to choose from. It is more extensive than Carnival's insurance. I always get at least $500,000 for emergency evacuation. Usually a million. It costs usually around $80 for 2 people, but the prices and limits vary. I have never had to use it but always buy it.

:eek:$80 for 2 people? Wow.

I am guessing the cost of the cruise has something to do with this.

I buy insurance privately for better coverage and often a lower rate than through the cruise line. I prefer insurance that is primary payor as the claims process is SO MUCH EASIER. But I must have insurance that waives the pre-existing condition exclusion. Adequate medical evacuation protection is also important to me. I never cruise without insurance. More often than not, I buy Travelex.

:eek:$80 for 2 people? Wow.

I am guessing the cost of the cruise has something to do with this.

Yes, I've seen many policies on insuremytrip.com for that amount for a 7 day cruise costing around $1500 or so. For our upcoming cruise I think I bought a policy for $115-ish since the coverage was a little more robust and it wasn't that much more. Definitely less expensive than what the cruise line offers. (And when you purchase it makes a difference too. On our last cruise I paid $30 per person for insurance at the time we booked the cruise 14 months before the trip. I priced it at 6 months out and the price had almost doubled for the same policy.)

Edited by sparks1093

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I asked this question on the insurance forum to no avail, so thought I would try here.

We are on a tight budget for this trip, and I wasn't going to purchase insurance at all...but I think I should, just in case. I decided to try and purchase my own, and saw a recommendation for insuremytrip. I am looking at buying a RoamRight policy. It is pretty basic, and really the only reason I am getting it is in case something happens and we get sick before boarding, or if my toddler were to be sick and we needed to have him seen or cancel the trip. It would cover $15,000pp medical, $150,000 med evac, and has trip cancellation or interruption coverage for certain reasons, etc...

Cost is $40 total. This I think would put my mind at ease versus traveling with no coverage at all, and is more budget friendly than Carnival's $49pp quote.

1) is this a decent policy for someone just wanting the bare minimum basics?

2) what is the latest date I can purchase insurance? I booked the cruise 2 days ago, and it leaves in 2 1/2 weeks. I ask that because Carnival told me I have to add it 14 days before sailing, which means I am cutting it close.

TIA!

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I asked this question on the insurance forum to no avail, so thought I would try here.

We are on a tight budget for this trip, and I wasn't going to purchase insurance at all...but I think I should, just in case. I decided to try and purchase my own, and saw a recommendation for insuremytrip. I am looking at buying a RoamRight policy. It is pretty basic, and really the only reason I am getting it is in case something happens and we get sick before boarding, or if my toddler were to be sick and we needed to have him seen or cancel the trip. It would cover $15,000pp medical, $150,000 med evac, and has trip cancellation or interruption coverage for certain reasons, etc...

Cost is $40 total. This I think would put my mind at ease versus traveling with no coverage at all, and is more budget friendly than Carnival's $49pp quote.

1) is this a decent policy for someone just wanting the bare minimum basics?

2) what is the latest date I can purchase insurance? I booked the cruise 2 days ago, and it leaves in 2 1/2 weeks. I ask that because Carnival told me I have to add it 14 days before sailing, which means I am cutting it close.

TIA!

Really only you can decide if a plan is good for you. $15,000 medical is not a lot of coverage. It's all about what your willing to risk and are comfortable with. $500,000 for medical is what we get.

I have done both. I found carnivals insurance very limiting to the point that it favors the cruise line. For the next trip I purchased a gold policy through insuremytrip.com. I did a search and came up with a site that let me compare side by side different policies from different companies. I recommend you search for that. I went with the policy I did due to several factors, the overall cost of the trip, the medical coverage and cancel for any reason. My whole trip is covered through this, the air fair for 3, the hotel, the cost of the cruise and the shore excursions. I insured my trip for $333, for $8000 of coverage. When I used carnival it was just to cover the cruise without the cancel for any reason. The cancelation policy was important for me as I work for the government and they frequently cancel vacations for little to no reason with little notice.

You should shop around a bit and check the terms carefully. We do NOT get cancel for any reason, but we are covered for employers canceling vacation.

Could someone who has purchased either or both please compare and contrast the different trip insurance policies out there. I have never used trip insurance, but am thinking about it for an upcoming B2B where the costs of the cruises, travel, and the number of foreign ports are extensive.

Curious about medical coverage while out of the country, trip cancellation, and costs?

Recommendations are also appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Bob, more than comparing and contrasting the polices, the real question is knowing what sort of coverage applies best to your situation and finding the policy that best matches your needs.

Here is post discussing those questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46173082&postcount=10

Rick Steves also gives a good summary about buying trip insurance: https://www.ricksteves.com/travel-tips/trip-planning/travel-insurance

We bought our policy from the tripinsurancestore and they are very helpful in answering any questions you might have. We bought a CFAR policy for our Carnival Mediterranean cruise this time because I have an elderly parent whose is 90 and because of my fears about the potentially unsafe conditions in Turkey, etc.

Hope your answers and concerns are resolved soon. Safe travels.

Edited by HLGW60