Driving to Galveston -- best route?

dawnb72413

We are driving from Nebraska to Galveston for our cruise next March, staying south of Dallas the night before embarkation. Google Maps says to just stay on I-45 right through Houston, but I'm wondering if that is really the best route? Would it be better/easier/faster to go around around Houston? (It will be a Sunday morning.) Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There should be no problem driving through downtown Houston on a Sunday. No reason to take any of the bypasses unless you want a different view. If you have not seen downtown Houston you will be in for a treat, one of the best skylines in the US, IMO. However, repost your question closer to departure day to make sure nothing is going on the day you will be driving through.

Just a little info...from downtown Dallas to the island on I45 is 284 miles. What every mile marker (exit number) you see is how far from the island you are. If you stay in Ennis or Corsicana (both a little south of Dallas) you will be about 3 1/2-4 hrs from Galveston. There really isn't much after Corsicana until you get to around Huntsville then you basically get into the "Houston area". To be honest the Dallas to Houston drive is dreadfully boring. I've don't it so many times over the years and always hate it. (even when I lived in Houston and was going home, it was still soooooo long and boring.)

Thank you so much for all the advice! We're staying in Corsicana, so we should easily be to the port by noon. I will check again a week or so before we leave for anything that may impact traffic on I-45 -- otherwise, we will plan on sticking to that route.

Thank you so much for all the advice! We're staying in Corsicana, so we should easily be to the port by noon. I will check again a week or so before we leave for anything that may impact traffic on I-45 -- otherwise, we will plan on sticking to that route.

We are from Lincoln also. April cruise for us. Driving down on Saturday and staying in Galveston the night before the cruise. I seen your location and just had to comment.

I am contemplating using the Galveston Park and Cruise instead of the included hotel parking and 15.00 ea shuttle charge. I have read about shuttle horror stories and wanted to avoid those. We are driving back to Lincoln after the cruise and walking across the street to get the car sounded pretty good.

I'm thinking that if I can reserve a parking spot, get there later in he afternoon to avoid the morning rush of people coming and leaving, we'll be belter of to a more relaxed start. I've read that you can park and just walk across the street to the terminal but I have more investigation to do.

I think we are looking at staying between Dallas and Houston, depends on how far we get an how tired we may be. Looks like the choices get limited to right outside Dallas or close to Houston. It looks as thought there is a long stretch of no mans land for awhile.

Good Luck, sorry I didn't mean to highjack your thread.

We are from Lincoln also. April cruise for us. Driving down on Saturday and staying in Galveston the night before the cruise. I seen your location and just had to comment.

No problem with hijacking my thread! Glad to hear we're not the only crazy people driving 14 hours for a cruise! :)

I'm also leaning toward using Park & Cruise. I'm in a wheelchair and, although some of the other lots said they have wheelchair accessible shuttles, it just seems easier to park right across the street. We're planning to get there around noon, so hopefully everyone disembarking that morning will be cleared out.

We were originally going to stay in Ennis on the way down, just south of Dallas, but found a slightly better deal in Corsicana. It's only 15 miles further & every dollar I save on the hotel is an extra dollar for drinks on the ship, right?? ;)

Corsicana looks like a good option to stop if necessary. I really wouldn't mind getting through Houston in the later part of the evening though. I am guessing the traffic may not be so bad then, if we get that far though, may as well go all the way. I'd like to stop by 10:30 or 11:00pm so its probably doable.

Good Luck with your long drive and cruise.

yup, stay on 45 all the way through downtown Houston and all the way to Galveston. I occasionally have to go into work in downtown Houston on a Sunday morning, and its the lightest traffic you'll ever find in Houston. That said, keep your Google maps on and check the traffic to make sure some idiot hasn't found a way to hit one of the few other cars out there.:)

• 2 weeks later...

A Sunday morning drive should be fine. Check for road closures due to construction at Texas Dept of Transportation (TxDOT) website and even Houston sites like this one:

http://traffic.houstontranstar.org/construction/construction_report.aspx

Have a good map app in case you need to take the loop or beltway.

Corsicana is a good place to stay, and there are lots of places in small-ish towns all down I-45.

One suggestion if planning on spending a weekend night in Enis or Corsicana in April - May, get hotel reservations early as the Scarborough Renfest will be going on in Waxahachie

ps we have used Galveston park and cruise across the street from the cruise terminal and like them. Their lot is long and narrow so they have a golf cart to shuttle people and luggage to the corner of the lot closest to the ship. You mention wheel chair, so I thought I should mention the sidewalks around there were in bad shape last time used them a couple of years ago. Having said that there is probably only 50-75 ft of sidewalk to deal with near the parking lot and they may have been repaired since then.

Edited by PenguinLife

Absolutely get dropped off. That way you can proceed to the security/check-in lines and he can join you. BUT! He should have his ID, passport, etc. with him for when he enters the terminal. You can check in without him and he can check in when he gets in, or you can wait near the entrance for him.