Help with Diabetes - first cruise since diagnosed

familycruzer

If you are Type 2 and controlling it through diet you should not have any serious problems eating right.

I would suggest taking as many meals as possible in the MDR. If one refrains from ordering multiple appetizers, entrées or desserts one will get a balanced and nutritious meal. The menus are designed by professionals and part of their training includes nutrition.

It is not worth worrying about sugar-free vs regular desserts. Sugar-free is not necessarily diabetic friendly. If you like desserts, keep to a single portion per meal.

Do some reading about Glycemic Index and Glycemic Load. Just because a food is defined as a vegetable or fruit does not make it a healthy choice. Granola sounds good, right? NOT! Orange juice is also to be avoided. A diabetic "diet" is actually good for anyone. Also do some reading on the various types of sugar substitutes. Those too are not all created equally and can have a deleterious effect on blood sugars.

As for alcohol consumption, if "needed" stick to 80+ proof straight spirits with a diet pop/soda mix if desired. Watch the tonic...full of sugar. Avoid flavoured vodkas as they are also full of sugar as are all "froo froo" drinks served with umbrellas and the like.

Edited by wendychloecruiser

I'm unable to quote for some reason, but I wanted to comment on

If you are Type 2 and controlling it through diet you should not have any serious problems eating right.

I would suggest taking as many meals as possible in the MDR. If one refrains from ordering multiple appetizers, entrées or desserts one will get a balanced and nutritious meal. The menus are designed by professionals and part of their training includes nutrition.

It is not worth worrying about sugar-free vs regular desserts. Sugar-free is not necessarily diabetic friendly. If you like desserts, keep to a single portion per meal.

Nutrition, well, concerning diabetes and weight loss has changed. Sadly, the USDA has not yet caught on and therefore most 'nutritional meals' are based on outdated information. The idea that whole grains are good for diabetics is simply not true. And the idea that fat is bad for you and causes your cholesterol to rise is also untrue.

Just look at the obesity, heart disease and diabetes problems in the US since the "low fat" diet began.:eek:

As far as a diabetic avoiding sugar free, I'm not quite sure why avoiding them and eating the normal dessert, but just one, is all right. The diabetic should avoid things that are 'low fat' because typically when fat is removed, carbohydrates are higher. But avoiding sugar free, well, I would love an idea of why that is bad. Unless it is because people tend to eat more of something if they think it is all right, in which case, I agree.

Do a search on low carb high fat diet, quite an eye opener.

My Diabetes doc tells me to remember that I am on vacation. 80-20 is our motto on cruises. Your walking/exercise will increase which will also help your sugars. 80% of the time you do the very best you can... 20% of the time you allow yourself some freedoms.

I can't have much in terms of "sugar free" as it doesn't sit well with me most times. I will allow myself a dessert here or there, but I personally would rather enjoy a pasta main course then something sweet.

The hardest thing I find is staying hydrated. I drink a LOT of water, always have. This sometimes is difficult when your off the ship and wandering around. I would suggest bringing along a travel bottle for water. It will save you some serious headaches.

I was a late diagnosed Type 1. I take insulin now, but did like you, tried the "menu, moving, meds" type program for my first 3 months to see if I could reverse it... It is a lot to process for now, you will feel better in a couple months when you have more comfort with your diagnosis.

Good Luck! You will have a blast.

As I always say, I tend to eat a lot healthier on a cruise because someone else is buying, prepping, and cooking all those veggies for me!! Salad is a nice lunch when someone else cuts it all up for you!! ha

Chass

There are many wonderful "sugar free" products out there. But read the labels as some have mannitol which can cause gastric issues and still have carbs. My grocery store has "sugar free" cookies which have more carbs than the non sugar free. Many people believe if it says sugar free it is OK to eat. Not so.... It is all about the carbs!!!!!

I like the 80/20 idea.

You have all given me great advise to take to my nutritionist.

I am booking a private guide for two of my three ports so water will be available to me all day. Bathrooms may be the problem.

I plan on walking each night after dinner, taking the stairs instead of the elevator, and hit the gym as well.

I want to be able to enjoy the food a cruise has to offer and make smart choices.

I, too, am a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic. My dietician has been very helpful and provided me with a handy-dandy guide that easily counts carbs and food servings. I've lost 7% of my total body weight to date and have clear fitness goals. My trainer is working to help me continue with weight loss and become fit enough to climb stairs on board ship all 7 days of our next cruise.

Thank you for the hint about requesting a sharps container on board. Will do!

In past experiences, Celebrity has done a wonderful job of providing many food and drink choices on board...am SO looking forward to my next cruise!

My grocery store has "sugar free" cookies which have more carbs than the non sugar free. Many people believe if it says sugar free it is OK to eat. Not so.... It is all about the carbs!!!!!

Exactly.

Have you ever read the labels for common foods like mayonnaise? The "light" mayonnaise can actually be worse for you than regular. When they take out the fat, they have to put something else in, and usually that is sugar.

A Hershey's chocolate kiss has 3 carbs; I can have 3 of them vs. one name-brand sugar-free chocolate.

Read your labels, make wise choices, and move. Exercise, as stated, is important. :)

Is the sharps container only for needles or can I put my test strips and alcohol swabs in it too?

the strips* and alcohol swabs can go in regular garbage. Lancets, even though they're typically "safe" sharps, still need to go into the sharps container.

*the strips only have a small amount of blood on them, significantly less than a cc, so they're more than safe to go into the trash.

I'm unable to quote for some reason, but I wanted to comment on

Nutrition, well, concerning diabetes and weight loss has changed. Sadly, the USDA has not yet caught on and therefore most 'nutritional meals' are based on outdated information. The idea that whole grains are good for diabetics is simply not true. And the idea that fat is bad for you and causes your cholesterol to rise is also untrue.

Just look at the obesity, heart disease and diabetes problems in the US since the "low fat" diet began.:eek:

As far as a diabetic avoiding sugar free, I'm not quite sure why avoiding them and eating the normal dessert, but just one, is all right. The diabetic should avoid things that are 'low fat' because typically when fat is removed, carbohydrates are higher. But avoiding sugar free, well, I would love an idea of why that is bad. Unless it is because people tend to eat more of something if they think it is all right, in which case, I agree.

Do a search on low carb high fat diet, quite an eye opener.

I do not think it reasonable to discount the work of professionals simply because the USDA moves slowly in adopting new guidelines. It suggests that chefs and nutritionists do not stay up to date in their fields.

The suggestion to stick to one portion of each course is a good one. Portion control is arguably the most effective dietary control that someone just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes can implement.

I do not think it reasonable to discount the work of professionals simply because the USDA moves slowly in adopting new guidelines. It suggests that chefs and nutritionists do not stay up to date in their fields.

The suggestion to stick to one portion of each course is a good one. Portion control is arguably the most effective dietary control that someone just diagnosed with Type II Diabetes can implement.

As an example of the people 'in the know' about nutrition:

My friend was in the hospital. He had been having high blood sugars. They told him to be sure to cut down on sugar. Then they brought him his meal: mac and cheese, a roll, green beans and dessert (pastry of some sort), oh, and apple sauce. This was a hospital, with a registered dietitian. Where they KNEW he had sugar issues.

Diabetics need to avoid the whole grain/starch portion of each and every meal if at all possible.

Portion control was the first thing my nutritionist said and to follow the guidelines of a well balanced plate. Sugar was hardly mention to me but plenty about carbs. I was also told wholes grains are best and to make sure I get my daily fiber in take and proteins.

*the strips only have a small amount of blood on them, significantly less than a cc, so they're more than safe to go into the trash.

I understand why you would say this as the blood is minuscule, however the trash is sorted and I would hate for a crew member to come into contact with blood, even with gloved hands. This is why feminine hygiene products are wrapped in bags and then discarded. JMHO.

My friend was in the hospital. He had been having high blood sugars. They told him to be sure to cut down on sugar. Then they brought him his meal: mac and cheese, a roll, green beans and dessert (pastry of some sort), oh, and apple sauce. This was a hospital, with a registered dietitian. Where they KNEW he had sugar issues.

Diabetics need to avoid the whole grain/starch portion of each and every meal if at all possible.

Not knowing the medical issues faced by your friend. Nor the instructions issued by their medical team. I would be hesitant to assume that the delivered meals were bad for them simply because they did not conform to what a diabetic might eat at home.

I am not trying to absolve the particular institution, simply suggesting that there may be reasons why a higher carb diet was ordered. Despite controlling my levels through pills and diet, anytime I have been in hospital insulin has been used.

I simply cannot agree with the last statement. Blanket statements presume no other mitigating medical condition. A well balanced diet is essential.

Not knowing the medical issues faced by your friend. Nor the instructions issued by their medical team. I would be hesitant to assume that the delivered meals were bad for them simply because they did not conform to what a diabetic might eat at home.

I am not trying to absolve the particular institution, simply suggesting that there may be reasons why a higher carb diet was ordered. Despite controlling my levels through pills and diet, anytime I have been in hospital insulin has been used.

I simply cannot agree with the last statement. Blanket statements presume no other mitigating medical condition. A well balanced diet is essential.

Yes, I'm afraid I have become rather militant about carbohydrates. And you're right, there has to be a balance. I look at the food pyramid and it drives me bonkers, but it will change one of these days.

Peace :).

I understand why you would say this as the blood is minuscule, however the trash is sorted and I would hate for a crew member to come into contact with blood, even with gloved hands. This is why feminine hygiene products are wrapped in bags and then discarded. JMHO.

Huge difference in the amount of blood in those examples. A test strip holds less blood than a bandaid would, and people toss those in the trash without a second thought.

Either way, it doesn't make a difference.

Not quite.

As someone who is diabetic, this is something I've had to deal with the past year. Whole grains are what you need to focus in on rather than, say, white bread or foods made with white processed flour. Foods that are higher in fiber are best. (Whole wheat flour or wheat bran as examples.) Complex carbohydrates should be the main focus however. Fresh fruits and vegetable, legumes, and most low-fat dairy products.

With that said, there are various methods/diets people use to maintain their diabetes. For me, as well as using medicine, I focus mainly only eating lots of fruits and veggies and I don't worry about carbs. Being on Weight Watchers aids in keeping the amount of carbs I eat down any way. And what I do eat tends to be brown rice or white potatoes. (They do not have added fats, sugar or sodium.)

So saying diabetics need to avoid whole grains is incorrect. Quinoa can be a diabetic's "best friend" if you give it a chance! ;)