Does it seem QUIET around here? Have posters quit posting? Or ?

CowPrincess

Personally, if I were reading a review which described someone's experience (either positive or negative), I would want to know if someone else had a different experience. How else would I know what to expect?

I wouldn't be doubting your experience but it is possible that your experience was an aberration and not the norm.

Certainly true, but there are ways of doing this that are not dismissive of the poster's experience. For example, the difference between these two kinds of responses:

#1: I find the poster's experience very odd. I never have had such an experience in all my 523 days aboard HAL and I never read anyone else's post about such a thing either. Maybe the OP can clarify if this really happened as reported. OP, did you even try to get the issue addressed while onboard the ship, or did you wait until you got back to complain about it? Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

or

#2: Thank you for your detailed review. I'm really sorry to hear you experienced [X] on your recent cruise. It's such a shame when something like this happens. I wonder if others have had something similar happen on a HAL cruise and whether your were able to get it resolved while onboard ship? I'm concerned because I have a cruise next month on the Hamsterdam and really hope I don't have a similar experience.

The first one sounds very dismissive, while the second expresses (at least to me) interest and concern.

Edited by cruisemom42

(emphasis added)

That's the sort of comment (and characterization) I find very off-putting.

I'm sorry if you are offended. If you have another phrase for posters who never have anything remotely critical to say about HAL and criticize posters who have bad experiences - please let me know.

You made me laugh!

On l-o-n-g threads like this, the thread sort of gets away from itself and I think it is fine and dandy for the OP to sit back and congratulate herself on such a successful thread and not post further (unless she wants to, of course).

As I said some pages back, thanks, CP, for starting this thread!!

Thanks for the "thanks", SilvertoGold. :D Sorry I missed replying to this post yesterday -- it was a bit chaotic here.

I think much of the "thanks" belongs to the posters who have stepped up and posted their thoughts and experiences, and to the many other posters who have been respectful and thoughtful, and considerate. I am so pleased that this thread feels "safe".

So ..... to everyone who has posted their thoughts, and to everyone who has kept this thread feeling "safe" ...

Thank You :) :)

I've done "Live From" threads where people have argued with me about whether or not I could tell a date from a prune. I've also been criticized over the concept of "dry cleaning." Bear in mind that this all occurred while paying for ship's Internet access.

My initial reaction is to tell people that they need to "grow a pair" (prunes, naturally.) :)

If you want to post a review without worrying about the feedback, you can submit it to CruiseCritic for their review section. After CC reviews it, they'll post it and you don't have to worry about being subjected to opposing viewpoints.

There's always a risk of being exposed to alternative points of view on the Internet. If you think HAL has cheerleaders, scope out the Celebrity board's reaction to being downgraded by Conde Nast Traveler.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2271443

While you're there, take a gander at the poor people who posted about the wedding rings that went missing. Talk about a cheerleader swarm.

Now, on the off chance that someone feels that this is exactly the kind of post that's the problem - I know. That's the point. :D

The vast majority of people here appreciate the reviews and appreciate them more so when the reviewer takes time to answer questions or address concerns.

Edited by POA1

Thanks for the "thanks", SilvertoGold. :D Sorry I missed replying to this post yesterday -- it was a bit chaotic here.

I think much of the "thanks" belongs to the posters who have stepped up and posted their thoughts and experiences, and to the many other posters who have been respectful and thoughtful, and considerate. I am so pleased that this thread feels "safe".

So ..... to everyone who has posted their thoughts, and to everyone who has kept this thread feeling "safe" ...

Thank You :) :)

I so agree CP.

But I would like to say THANK YOU to you for starting this thread as well.

Where is the LIKE button?

I thoughts your post was spot-on. BTW were they prunes or dates?

Prunes, but it was highly controversial. Fortunately, I was able to muddle through - even without professional counseling.

Never, and I mean never, try to tell someone when their right to express their opinion is "not here and not now."

QUOTE]

You hit the nail on head. The whole point of this thread is to be able to express opinions and do it without someone trying to shame you for doing so.

I gave up on posting reviews when I got tired of defending my opinions, and people doubting what I said because their experience was different. Once I typed up a long review and after re-reading it I could imagine the comments it would get, so I just trashed it. That's sad, because that's what CC is supposed to be all about. :(

I totally understand, It is very disheartening to post a review, an opinion or observation and then have others come along and literally question your integrity and honesty. I posted some honest observations about one ship that was not in synch with the opinions of a couple very prolific posters. I didn't appreciate the comments that followed. One poster went beyond dismissing me, she told me another board member had more experience than I did, then called out to the other board member to set me straight.

I totally understand, It is very disheartening to post a review, an opinion or observation and then have others come along and literally question your integrity and honesty. I posted some honest observations about one ship that was not in synch with the opinions of a couple very prolific posters. I didn't appreciate the comments that followed. One poster went beyond dismissing me, she told me another board member had more experience than I did, then called out to the other board member to set me straight.

I remember that discussion. I was offended when I read it and still am.

I think everyone appreciates your reviews. Even if people disagree, it's nice to get some perspective.

I don't remember that one, but that is out of line - taking the time - and money! - to post any kind of review should be appreciated. I do remember the criticism about if you can't post every day then you shouldn't do it all, or words to that effect, though.

How dare you have your own opinions! ;)

It's terrible ANYONE feels threatened or beat up when posting reviews. Everyone's experience has merit.

I think part of the issue is HAL is changing. The old guard isn't happy about it, which is understandable, but the constant "I remember when ... " and "I'd never sail on xxx because of xxx" gets tiresome and can hurt feels/run off anyone.

Really?! Defending opinions on your own review?! I'm gob-smacked.

I know you are talking about the Prinsendam. Although I liked her better than you did, I said that I was very disappointed that she didn't live up to the hype that I had been reading. I said the only place on the "Elegant Explorer" that struck me as any more elegant than the S-class ships of the same vintage was the Oak Room. (We didn't have a suite .) Well, I can't tell you how many people came forward to say "how could [you] say such things", and not appreciate how wonderful she was! One lady (probably the same one you are referring to) told me she knew better than I because she had more experience... although she had never been on any S-class ship that I felt was very comparable to the P'dam!! :eek:

• Administrators

Hello all:

Many interesting and thoughtful comments; some not so much. If there is anything you'd like us to specifically address...please feel free to email us at community@cruisecritic.com. We will be happy to respond.

Thank you,

Laura