Sail Away Flags

KarenandPaul

Union Jacks are supplied free. The Entertainment Staff give them our freely before the party begins. I take a couple of St Andrews flags so I can fly the flag for Scotland -literally - and there's usually a Welsh dragon or two.

they did on the last cruise - great british sailaway only - welsh Cornish irish and Scottish flags brought onboard by some...

We have some little used St Georges flags too (World Cup and Rugby[emoji12]). I will pop one in Union Jack and St George flag in each hand maybe Though that would cause a problem doesn't leave a hand free for a drink !!!!

If I had known that the exiles where going to show allegiance to their own national flags instead of the Union flag, I would have took a St George flag :eek:

Its called the Great British Sailaway and on the last one I was impressed as to how well the Entertainment Crew did in keeping it as a British affair even though they did the English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish thing. Everyone seemed to support the different nations that make up our great country. I'm Scottish and very proud of it but I'm also British and very proud of it and no way would I be flying a St Andrews flag at a British event. I loved singing along with all the so-called "national" songs.

Edited by dgs1956

Its called the Great British Sailaway and on the last one I was impressed as to how well the Entertainment Crew did in keeping it as a British affair even though they did the English, Welsh, Irish and Scottish thing. Everyone seemed to support the different nations that make up our great country. I'm Scottish and very proud of it but I'm also British and very proud of it and no way would I be flying a St Andrews flag at a British event. I loved singing along with all the so-called "national" songs.

My most annoying experience was on Oriana, on the top deck looking down. A big burly welsh fellow in front of me waved his Welsh dragon flag like mad when their song played but then actually booed when Land of Hope and Glory played and swiftly departed before anything else was played. There is no need for that sort of attitude.

My most annoying experience was on Oriana, on the top deck looking down. A big burly welsh fellow in front of me waved his Welsh dragon flag like mad when their song played but then actually booed when Land of Hope and Glory played and swiftly departed before anything else was played. Thjere is no need for that sort of attitude.

Sorry for the double post, my firefox crashed as I pressed the Submit button :(

Edited by Brayman

We have some little used St Georges flags too (World Cup and Rugby[emoji12]). I will pop one in Union Jack and St George flag in each hand maybe Though that would cause a problem doesn't leave a hand free for a drink !!!!

You could always stick a flagstick behind each ear and that would leave both hands free for 2 drinks!

My most annoying experience was on Oriana, on the top deck looking down. A big burly welsh fellow in front of me waved his Welsh dragon flag like mad when their song played but then actually booed when Land of Hope and Glory played and swiftly departed before anything else was played. There is no need for that sort of attitude.

I do agree. Its not what its about. I joined in all the songs and knew more of the words for "Land of Hope and Glory" than most around me.

To completely change the subject why do they always play the dambusters march if there is a german ship alongside ;):eek:

Personally I find the sailaways slightly naff and embarrassing ;)

I do agree about the dambusters. Not acceptable in my view.

My better half and I like the GBS and always attend, we are very proud Scots but also very proud to be British, we take our own Union Flags(much better than the plastic ones handed out) and also our own Saltire. I have always wondered why the there are so few St Georges flags to be seen.I love the atmosphere when they go through each country, but wish they could find something to represent Scotland other than the proclaimers who I detest for various reasons.

As for playing the theme from the "Dambusters" in my experience it has always been played at the GBS whether a German Ship is moored near us or not, remember but for such men we may well be sailing on a German Ship.

As for those who find the GBS naff it is forty minutes out of a fourteen night cruise and you are not forced to take part, long may P&O continue the GBS.

My better half and I like the GBS and always attend, we are very proud Scots but also very proud to be British, we take our own Union Flags(much better than the plastic ones handed out) and also our own Saltire. I have always wondered why the there are so few St Georges flags to be seen.I love the atmosphere when they go through each country, but wish they could find something to represent Scotland other than the proclaimers who I detest for various reasons.

As for playing the theme from the "Dambusters" in my experience it has always been played at the GBS whether a German Ship is moored near us or not, remember but for such men we may well be sailing on a German Ship.

As for those who find the GBS naff it is forty minutes out of a fourteen night cruise and you are not forced to take part, long may P&O continue the GBS.

Probably because in England the St George's flag has a reputation of being hijacked by the far right, cloaking xenophobia, racism and fascism.

I wonder how long this post will last!

Do they have a "sail- away" leaving every port or just at the start of a cruise? Would one take a NZ flag? as after all we are part of the Commonwealth!

IIRC there is no "sailaway" from Southampton or the port of embarkation, probably because people are still finding their cabins/preparing for muster drill, etc. On our very first cruise we had the whole band on the quayside and ticker tape for our sailaway and that was wonderful, but has long since been abolished.

On our last cruise (Iberia on Azura), there was a sailaway party from Lisbon (first port, 3rd day of the cruise and one of DD's holiday highlights) and a GBS from our last port, Cadiz.

Perfectly acceptable lighten up, the world is getting far to PC have some fun !!!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion including you and me.

Its nothing to do with being PC. If you have seen British people standing at the side of a ship waving their arms like an aeroplane at a German ship and think that's acceptable then you want to think again.

Edited by dgs1956

Returned from cruise earlier this month on Oriana.

There was a 'normal' Sailaway Party on leaving most, if not all, ports.

The Great British Sailaway Party was on leaving the last port before sailing home.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion including you and me.

Its nothing to do with being PC. If you have seen British people standing at the side of a ship waving their arms like an aeroplane at a German ship and think that's acceptable then you want to think again.

I liked the report of the passengers on the german ship reacting to the dambusters march by waving their towels . They do have a sense of humour :D:D:D

ps - contrast this to Costa, a couple of weeks ago we were delayed leaving Civitivechia by a Costa ship leaving first :rolleyes: Some Costa passengers started shouting insults at us as they passed. I restrained myself from shouting back "make sure you don't sink because your captain will run away" :o

davecttr

Time to claim your flag of St George back, the same could be said about the Saltire after it was hijacked by the SNP for last years referendum where it was defaced by the word "yes".

We are four separate countries that make one great country, that is what makes us what we are.

And it is quite possible to hold two flags and a drink at the same time, Ihave done it numerous times.