Equinox luminae 10/27 update

Wj420

I remember you coming on here to affirm that three meals a day would be served. I also am unaware of the locally sourced foods that were promised to be used. Are you going back on those commitments? I just got off Summit in a SS and enjoyed Luminae. It doesn't compare to Normandie, (which of course you are closing), but it is a definite step up from MDR. I do not have another SS booked, but if I did I'd be PO'd that your commitment was worthless.

I come and go on various boards. You mention that Normandie is closing. What's that all about?

Tom

When I booked my CS one of the included things was three meals a day in the suite restaurant, EVERY day. That's what I booked. Now regardless of whether I decide to dine every meal in that restaurant, it should be available for me to choose from. There is an up charge of $35 a head for suite guests for lunch, Bistro is $10 a head and free for those in a royal or penthouse anyway. I'd like to see some acknowledgement of this loss of value.

I'm sorry Celebrity but this isn't good enough. You should be delivering what I booked, not cutting back because you've not staffed it adequately.

As others have said one of the perks I was looking for was lunch in this restaurant on port days as we been to some ports many times so won't get off the ship.

Edited by DebbieMacG

When I booked my CS one of the included things was three meals a day in the suite restaurant, EVERY day. That's what I booked. Now regardless of whether I decide to dine every meal in that restaurant, it should be available for me to choose from. There is an up charge of $35 a head for suite guests for lunch, Bistro is $10 a head and free for those in a royal or penthouse anyway. I'd like to see some acknowledgement of this loss of value.

I'm sorry Celebrity but this isn't good enough. You should be delivering what I booked, not cutting back because you've not staffed it adequately.

As others have said one of the perks I was looking for was lunch in this restaurant on port days as we been to some ports many times so won't get off the ship.

PREACH SISTER! I am totally with you!

PREACH SISTER! I am totally with you!

Any time that a company pulls a BAIT AND SWITCH -- as is the case here without a doubt -- it's going to instill some hard feelings in some people - especially when they don't provide suitable (yes, I know that's relative) alternatives. They'll lose a handful of people over it, mainly from the informed likes of CC'ers, but most will be blissfully ignorant -- just the way they'd prefer it!

Fortunately, it's not a make or break for us.

Tom

If you read the initial suite class brochure carefully, many amenities have never been provided or disappeared, including aspects of Luminae. I wrote a real letter to the CEO detailing some of this more than a month ago. No response.

Totally agree. We changed 4 bookings that were originally in AQ to get the benefits.

If you read the initial suite class brochure carefully, many amenities have never been provided or disappeared, including aspects of Luminae. I wrote a real letter to the CEO detailing some of this more than a month ago. No response.

You do not need to read it that carefully, it is very clear. As were other mailings. As was the CEO herself. As was the Celebrity representative on these boards.

Edited by kenevenpar

Here is the CEO statement:

From CC Forums: There has been a lot of conflicting information about Luminae since it was originally announced. The biggest controversy is over breakfast and lunch hours and menu. Those that have booked or are now booking suites would like clarification as to what will really be offered.

by Cruise Critic Chris July 6 at 12:03 PM

↑ 0

• 095f96e2-e70b-4472-b8a3-48c055a588de.jpg
    Lisa Lutoff-Perlo,... Thanks for bringing this up. Our social media team was really dedicated to clarifying and providing info on Luminae on the forums. So, just to recap - we are offering what was originally communicated in the restaurants’ announcement – breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    July 6 at 12:04 PM

• default.png
    Host Andy Glad to hear. Thank you for the clarification !
    July 6 at 12:07 PM

• default.png
    JaneStarr Kudos to the Social Media team for their valuable input on the boards!
    July 6 at 12:15 PM

I am intrigued by the apparent disconnect between those displeased at Luminae's hours of operation and those actually dinning in Luminae. We were on the Equinox from Oct 2 through Oct 15. Luminae was never more than half full. On numerous occasions, including dinner, you could count the tables in use on one hand. It is incredibly underused, especially at lunch and breakfast and at dinner before 8pm.

I am intrigued by the apparent disconnect between those displeased at Luminae's hours of operation and those actually dinning in Luminae. We were on the Equinox from Oct 2 through Oct 15. Luminae was never more than half full. On numerous occasions, including dinner, you could count the tables in use on one hand. It is incredibly underused, especially at lunch and breakfast and at dinner before 8pm.

Not sure I understand your statement? Because it's underused they should shut it down during certain meals? Rather than shutting it down they should determine why/where suite guests are going for breakfast and lunch.

Were you on a carribean cruise? Note that many do not get off the ship on these cruises as they go to the same places year after year.

I remember you coming on here to affirm that three meals a day would be served. I also am unaware of the locally sourced foods that were promised to be used. Are you going back on those commitments? I just got off Summit in a SS and enjoyed Luminae. It doesn't compare to Normandie, (which of course you are closing), but it is a definite step up from MDR. I do not have another SS booked, but if I did I'd be PO'd that your commitment was worthless.

They also said they want to get to Michelin star level, don't believe everything you read on the interwebs ;)

Happy sailing,

Jenna

One of the great things about Luminae is that it's even quieter and more relaxed than Blu. It's great to know that whenever you decide to eat you will be welcomed and sat at a table. I would not call it underutilized just because it wasn't crowded or full. On our 8 night repositioning cruise we received 2 free specialty restaurant dinners, as did all other sky suite and Celebrity Suite passengers. We used them both. Others may or may not have taken advantage of that benefit, but it's a contributing factor in why there may be empty seats on any given night. And keep in mind that higher end suites can choose to dine anywhere their hearts desire throughout the cruise.

I do stand firmly on the side of feeling deceived by Celebrity's overpromise of Luminae features. We did not see locally sourced ingredients, artisinal chocolates each night, special new breakfast items on the suite room service menu or 3 meals a day.

It seems like there was never any set plan when they rolled out Luminae, but that they just fed us a bunch if ideas that people threw out during a meeting. They promised things that have never even been attempted. It's not like the chefs have tried sourcing local ingredients and creating special meals but the experiment didn't work out. It's just never happened. How hard is it to add a few special breakfast items to suite room service menus? I'm very surprised and disappointed that there doesn't seem to have been progress in rolling out these features seven months after the initial rollout.

Upgraded room service items available when Luminae is closed is likely the easiest solution, particularly with the narrow hours of operation. Great food, anytime, in your suite. Often our room service has been so hit and miss, its not very special, nor is it reflective of the large price increase in suites for Luminae.

Or start encouraging regular passengers to go there for lunch and fill the restaurant up and extend the hours.

I attended another lines excursion where we all went to town with the executive chef and picked out ingredients for a special meal. Surely there are ports in the world where local sourcing can be added.

We invited a guest to dine with us in Luminae and it was clearly not done much and there was some subtle resistance to it by the staff. It is more of a gatekeeper mentality even when they make money for it. We don't want others in, but we are not busy enough to justify staying open is perplexing.

After reading this thread, I am glad I switched our booking to an aft Concierge on Constellation from a CS. I did it the FIRST time people reported that Luminae was not always open for breakfast and lunch as promised. For three cruises starting in 2007, we booked a suite on NCL just to get breakfast and lunch in a quiet dining room. We loved those meals, but the MDR went downhill so much, we switched back to Celebrity and Princess. Why can't Luminae serve a light soap, sandwich, salad lunch that would not require a huge staff for those that really want to eat in a real dining room on port days?Until they provide what was promised, we will not pay extra for a suite.

After reading this thread, I am glad I switched our booking to an aft Concierge on Constellation from a CS. I did it the FIRST time people reported that Luminae was not always open for breakfast and lunch as promised. For three cruises starting in 2007, we booked a suite on NCL just to get breakfast and lunch in a quiet dining room. We loved those meals, but the MDR went downhill so much, we switched back to Celebrity and Princess. Why can't Luminae serve a light soap, sandwich, salad lunch that would not require a huge staff for those that really want to eat in a real dining room on port days?Until they provide what was promised, we will not pay extra for a suite.

I totally agree. No one has been going there bc it is only open for 60 minutes and serves heavy food. As I have said, serve upscale Aqua Spa food and make it a buffet. Don't close the place down. grrrr

19 days coming up in Luminae. I hope at sometime some lovely vegetable appear. It is sad to hear people have to go to the buffet to get them.

As a side note, the vegetables in September on Summit were very, very good. Lots of white and green asparagus, a variety of mushrooms and more. This was at dinner. Maybe a vegetable dish at lunch?

Like Bistro on 5 ;)

Except in Luminae is would not taste like gloppy slop. My idea of lunch is not a buffalo chicken crepe served lukewarm by inexperienced staff at a snail's pace. Maybe they should close Bo5 bc no one is ever in THERE...not Luminae!

Except in Luminae is would not taste like gloppy slop. My idea of lunch is not a buffalo chicken crepe served lukewarm by inexperienced staff at a snail's pace. Maybe they should close Bo5 bc no one is ever in THERE...not Luminae!

Ha-ha sorry. Was just being a little snarky in my reply. It's pretty obvious most people don't think Bistro is a satisfactory alternative. I enjoyed it but that was 6 years ago. Things may have changed.