Equinox luminae 10/27 update

Wj420

The lunchtime saga of Luminae continues!

I am the sort of person who 'likes to know' before boarding exactly what to expect! I honestly am not that bothered if I lunch, brunch, Luminae or Bistro but it just would be really nice to know what to expect.

We were on Equninox for her first Luminae cruise when brunch was offered some days. There were several guests upset because it was not what they were expecting. If BLD is not working and they are going to swap just let us know and then stick to it!

Another note...

We were also told today that on port days suite guests can eat lunch at Bistro on Five with no up-charge, since Luminae will not be open for lunch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

May I ask who told you this? (For my reference)

Thanks

The lunchtime saga of Luminae continues!

I am the sort of person who 'likes to know' before boarding exactly what to expect! I honestly am not that bothered if I lunch, brunch, Luminae or Bistro but it just would be really nice to know what to expect.

We were on Equninox for her first Luminae cruise when brunch was offered some days. There were several guests upset because it was not what they were expecting. If BLD is not working and they are going to swap just let us know and then stick to it!

When I was on the Eclipse, after two or three days of brunch I completed the "what can we do to help" card that they kindly left in our room saying how unhappy I was that they were not providing what they advertised. I also had a copy, on my phone, of the Cruise Critic discussion with the Celebrity chief exec in July and asked why they were not doing what their management said would happen. That evening the Maitre of Luminae spoke to us and said that she had been told of our complaint and wondered what it ws all about. I showed her the info on my phone and the attitude changed. Next day we were ambushed by the Maitre in Blu, following breakfast (which we couldn't get in Luminae as it was doing brunch). Met F&B director and overall restaurant manager later and told them what we were unhappy about and things changed from then on to B,L and D.

I took the view that there was no point in moaning about it after the event, or just doing nothing about it, which tends to be the British way and gave them a chance to do it properly which they did. They also extended lunch to 1.30 as well so that can be done as well. We were lucky that, if we didn't feel like the portions in Luminae we could go to Bistro and get a crepe (which is much smaller).

I do find the Luminae food portions too big across the board but after a few days we sussed them out, stopped having the pastries in the morning, the bread in the evening and generally limited ourselves to the portions we eat at home.

Unless Celebrity make an announcement that changes the current advice, take a copy of it with you and complain if it doesn't happen the way you expect. As I said earlier int he post, I think the ships are doing what suits them, not their paying guests.

As a suite passenger, you can pay to take a guest to lunch in Luminae. It would seem only fair that you'd be credited that amount, per person, when Luminae wasn't available for lunch. I think that the $70 credit would make people feel somewhat compensated - at least if it was a direct credit to your account and it's credit card. Having to refund actual cash might make the ship think twice about closing the suite restaurant during lunch hours. If nothing else, it would give them some skin in the game.

As a suite passenger, you can pay to take a guest to lunch in Luminae. It would seem only fair that you'd be credited that amount, per person, when Luminae wasn't available for lunch. I think that the $70 credit would make people feel somewhat compensated - at least if it was a direct credit to your account and it's credit card. Having to refund actual cash might make the ship think twice about closing the suite restaurant during lunch hours. If nothing else, it would give them some skin in the game.

You didn't make clear that you were just kidding and clearly not serious.

I hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question about Elite Cocktail Hour.

On the Equinox they gave out coupons due to large number of Elites on this TA cruise., Additionally, The cocktail hour is still held each night in the Sky Lounge.

They collected coupons at the Sky Lounge, so you are limited to 3 drinks per person regardless. Is this normally how it works with the coupons? For some reason I thought they did not collect coupons in the Sky Lounge.

Not that we are lushes, just curious.

Hope you guys are enjoying your cruise....sure your neighbors are just not quite as nice as on your last cruise! Wish we were sailing with you and could enjoy a drink and some Indian food.

Hope you guys are enjoying your cruise....sure your neighbors are just not quite as nice as on your last cruise! Wish we were sailing with you and could enjoy a drink and some Indian food.

Thanks we are having a great time, cruising with my parents down the hall. (Almost as nice as you guys!)

We will have a toast in your honor! (And an Indian dinner)

J & K

Edited by Nachosdelux

You didn't make clear that you were just kidding and clearly not serious.

I hope...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was only half joking, and there's no half smiley face. :) The Luminae dining is listed as an amenity that we're paying for. If Celebrity is placing a value on dining in Luminae for non suite guests, I'm just using their own number to determine what lunch is worth. It's just disappointing to see something brand new suffer from cutbacks. In all seriousness though, what would you propose as a solution? (Suck it up and eat elsewhere is a non-starter.)

I was only half joking, and there's no half smiley face. :) The Luminae dining is listed as an amenity that we're paying for. If Celebrity is placing a value on dining in Luminae for non suite guests, I'm just using their own number to determine what lunch is worth. It's just disappointing to see something brand new suffer from cutbacks. In all seriousness though, what would you propose as a solution? (Suck it up and eat elsewhere is a non-starter.)

+1

I like your logic.

I totally agree that if it was listed as a suite benefit when the cruise was booked, it should be offered or the buyer compensated.

And Bistro on Five isn't the gourmet experience we were promised. I'd much prefer a few higher quality room service offerings for lunch if that's less expensive than opening the suite restaurant.

Edited by tangerinebunny

Luminae is the reason we booked with Celebrity. We really like the menus, so I'm hoping that the restaurant will be running full speed soon.
I upgraded 4 cruises that were already booked in AQ when the suite program rollout was announced. That was on the basis of 3 meals a day in Liminae (whether I can eat that much or not).

Luminae is the reason we booked with Celebrity. We really like the menus, so I'm hoping that the restaurant will be running full speed soon.

You can eat breakfast & dinner in Luminae every day and have an excellent experience. On sea days, you can also enjoy lunch there too. But I'm in a minority (on this thread) who doesn't mind it closing for lunch on port days when so many are not on the ship and the staff can be more efficiently used elsewhere. And I also don't mind going to Bistro on those few port days I'm on the ship.

Celebrity & I didn't sign a contract which guaranteed any specific hours, and I trust them to make decisions which keeps them at the top of my list. Those who are not satisfied with Celebrity might want to cruise elsewhere.

Has anybody ordered multiple appetizers in Luminae? I normally like a typical appetizer type plate plus a soup or salad. Is this possible? What about with the larger portion sizes?

The Luminae staff will work very hard to accommodate almost any request. You can have multiple appetizers or items from the main dining room menu, etc. Just today, I saw someone request a filet for lunch (not on either menu), and they provided it with a smile.

You can eat breakfast & dinner in Luminae every day and have an excellent experience. On sea days, you can also enjoy lunch there too. But I'm in a minority (on this thread) who doesn't mind it closing for lunch on port days when so many are not on the ship and the staff can be more efficiently used elsewhere. And I also don't mind going to Bistro on those few port days I'm on the ship.

Celebrity & I didn't sign a contract which guaranteed any specific hours, and I trust them to make decisions which keeps them at the top of my list. Those who are not satisfied with Celebrity might want to cruise elsewhere.

You are not alone in this. On our Summit cruise we were on board for lunch on 2 port days and there were very few dining in Luminae. If Luminae had not been open we would have had no problem going to the buffet for salad with grilled salmon or chicken. My DH missed having Indian & Mexican food for lunch and will make use of the buffet on our next cruise when we stay onboard on port days. Bistro is another option that we would take advantage of.

I'm not sure about the substance of your reply...Of course you are entitled to feel as you may, but I think the expectations and schedules that were offered when we all paid our fees should be honored. You claim you didn't sign a contract with Celebrity, but in fact you did...of course, as is typical in the world of mercantile and commerce, the contract by default favors Celebrity.

In my case, having sailed Aqua on Celebrity before, I now wanted to try Luminae and as a result raised my category to a suite at considerably more money..

Now you as well as a few others come around saying that we should be grateful for what we have and not to even think about any changes that Celebrity continues with after final payment is made..And you offer the trite expression that if not satisfied, go elsewhere.

Responder, spot on in your analysis.

Quote:

Originally Posted by colliercruiser View Post

I'm not sure about the substance of your reply...Of course you are entitled to feel as you may, but I think the expectations and schedules that were offered when we all paid our fees should be honored. You claim you didn't sign a contract with Celebrity, but in fact you did...of course, as is typical in the world of mercantile and commerce, the contract by default favors Celebrity.

In my case, having sailed Aqua on Celebrity before, I now wanted to try Luminae and as a result raised my category to a suite at considerably more money..

Now you as well as a few others come around saying that we should be grateful for what we have and not to even think about any changes that Celebrity continues with after final payment is made..And you offer the trite expression that if not satisfied, go elsewhere.

I do not support any retailer when they downgrade services or products after payment unless it is because of something they do not control.

Each cruise line has apologists and they are seen on all the cruise critic line threads. OK.

Combine that with "obedient consumers" who continue to buy despite a lowered value proposition in restaurants, cruise ships, on travel and the size and composition of food and consumer goods - it provides retailers with a golden opportunity to fleece consumers and raise corporate profits with many consumers approval.

If B/L/D was included at time of final payment - Celebrity provide it.

Celebrity if you do not want to provide it - provide a refund for the product and services you are withdrawing.

I trust no retailer to make decisions to "keep them at the top of my list". They could not care less about me and I care not about them either.

I have cruised with Celebrity since 1992 and I have no cruises booked as their value proposition and BBB approach is no longer suitable to me given what they are charging - this is my analysis. Others make different decisions. I monitor this board from time to time to ascertain if Celebrity's approach changes enough to reinstate them as my cruise line of choice.

It would be appreciated if posters would be considerate and not tell other posters to "cruise elsewhere" when a contrarian analysis is presented. It is contrarian analysis which ultimately results in business inventions and identification of risk. It is essential.

Wishing those who are booked with Celebrity smooth sailing and much joy.

ABoatNerd

Celebrity and I didn’t sign a contract about throwing furniture over the rails. Where are the limits? I hope that the people on our cruise aren't savages. (You're kidding, right? :) )

Has anybody ordered multiple appetizers in Luminae? I normally like a typical appetizer type plate plus a soup or salad. Is this possible? What about with the larger portion sizes?

You certainly can do this. The couple we joined one night for dinner ordered one of each appetizer (to share), with no problem. I also asked for escargot from the MDR on several occasions, and it was served with no problem. They will normally bend over backward to help you.

We ordered two appetizers, Caesar salads and soup. We ordered the crab cake appetizer doubled for an entree, we ordered extra vegetarian entree for the table to taste, we ordered off the main dining room menu and the topper was when we were served the steak tartar from Tuscan and the Dover sole from Murano! Luminae accomdates requests! The atmosphere and the service are wonderful. Enjoy!

if lunch closes at 1:30, does that mean that the entry doors close? Will they accept patrons at 1:25? Can you arrive @ 1:29 and be served?

Closing time usually means that it's the latest you'll be seated. In other words, that's when the doors close. Diners might finish up an hour or more later.