Star Princess - thinking of switching to Obstructed Ocean View

straychicken

We are a family of four booked on Northbound Alaska cruise on the Star Princess next summer. We booked cabin D516 which is an interior cabin (IB) on the Dolphin deck. From what I read this is a good location and a generally quiet deck.

For $138 we could move to E507.

It looks like it has a partial view over a large life boat. I am wondering if this area would be noisy. If so we will stick with our current cabin. Should we upgrade?

Edited by straychicken

From a sound perspective, both cabins should be relatively quiet. You will get some hallway noise in both. The bigger question for most people is having light in the cabin, or not. In the case of a northbound Alaska cruise, I would recommend taking the OV, not only for the ability to see what is out the window, but because it is just one floor above the Promenade deck for when you want to get a better view of the Alaska scenery.

Thanks for the information. I hadn't thought about the Emerald deck being more convenient. A peak of the ocean would be great. So you don't think there will be a noise issue. It looks like it is over a bar in the explorer's lounge but on the opposite side as the stage.

We have only been on one prior cruise (which was a 3 day with Royal Carribean). We had an inside cabin, and it wasn't near any public areas, so I don't have a feel for whether that would be an issue.

Edited by straychicken

The room is over the gents bathroom and part of the seating area to the right of the stage. Not over the backstage or stage, so I think you will be fine. Do you have very early sleeping needs for the kids or are they extremely light sleepers? Many kids are so tuckered out from busy cruise days that they conk out completely. And the gentle rocking of the ship is just like a cradle.

My kids are 3 and 6. They usually sleep pretty well. I expect we may be in bed early at first. Their bed time is 9 PM eastern. So when we go to dinner at 6 PM it will be close to their bedtime. I expect they will adjust to the time difference after a few days.

I think I will contact my travel agent about changing tomorrow.

Looks like the room is just a little bit bigger than the interior as well (8 sq. ft). Maybe not enough to notice.

I just realized I was looking at E506, you said E 507. There shouldn't be any noise in 507, it's over the hallway. There might be one night that the crowd spills out of the lounge, but that is rare. Usually those shows are placed in the bigger venues.

Edited by cherylandtk

I think you'll be very happy with this cabin. That location is great - very convenient to things. The daylight's nice as well. We've had one of these obstructed cabins and liked it a lot. :)

I say go for it. You may catch some views of Alaska.

If you go to https://sites.google.com/site/cabinviewbyrenmar/ you can see exactly what your view would be.

Thanks. It looks like that is mostly obstructed but you can see over the top of the life boat (about 30% if the view is clear).

Am I looking at correctly? I can't tell what I am looking at. I am thinking what I see toward the top of the window is something in the port and not an obstruction.

Thanks. It looks like that is mostly obstructed but you can see over the top of the life boat (about 30% if the view is clear).

Am I looking at correctly? I can't tell what I am looking at. I am thinking what I see toward the top of the window is something in the port and not an obstruction.

Correct. That is a port building.

Got the cabin switched. I ended up having to put down $50 per person on the deposit to match the current required deposit. We had orginally booked with a $50 per person deposit.

It looks like there are not that many 4 person cabins left for that sailing. There are some ocean view cabins and interior cabins, but only one suite, and no 4 person balcony or mini suites. There are two more obstructed ocean view, but they have no view at all.

I am happy to have switched to e507 before it was gone. Thanks for all the information.