Grand Princess SF Embarkation

rdailybread

Tom, what is the 'Bon Voyage Experience"? Something our 20-something grandson/chauffeur would enjoy?

For $39 he can board the ship before other passengers (you can get on when he does) and enjoy all the ship has to offer for several hours.

This includes a photo when boarding.

Optional:

o A tour of the ship with the Future Cruise Consultant

o Lunch in a dining room including a glass of wine for him

Of course you can eat anywhere you want (and everywhere if you wish), not limited to the dining room.

is 55francisco garage close enough to walk for a old man with a full size suitcase with rollers...or should i pull into the pier first to drop bag and then park...should i park at the pier and then go searching for a porter...is it ok to leave car unattended or will porter approach and take bag from car.

My wife and I were in San Francisco yesterday and decided to check out the boarding process on the Grand. It was a little before 1pm and there was quite a long line waiting to have their bags picked up by a very few porters. There were vehicles pulling up constantly and the porters seemed to be giving the vehicular passangers preferential treatment.

The line of people waiting got longer while the vehicular traffic flow moved pretty well. Luckily the weather was very nice for the people standing in line.

The process seemed organized but very tedious. Is this how Princess operates its embarkation typically? We are primarily Royal Caribbean cruisers and they have hordes of porters waiting to whisk your luggage away and you proceed straight to check-in. At least that's what we have experienced in San Pedro over numerous boardings.

Is it better to board early or later in SF?

My DW and I took Bart to watch the embarkation, of the Golden and found away to make sure the porters would take our luggage. We walked to the pier along the embarkadero to the pier. This is what we plan to do in a couple of weeks.

is 55francisco garage close enough to walk for a old man with a full size suitcase with rollers...or should i pull into the pier first to drop bag and then park...should i park at the pier and then go searching for a porter...is it ok to leave car unattended or will porter approach and take bag from car.

Walking would be subjective to how much luggage you are comfortable hauling. You WILL NOT be able to leave your car unattended while you find a porter.

If you are not traveling alone you can quickly drop off passenger(s) and luggage and meet up with them after you park, otherwise you must park first and then walk with all your luggage back to the pier. Walking map can be found here:

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/55+Francisco+St,+San+Francisco,+CA+94133/Pier+27,+The+Embarcadero,+San+Francisco,+CA/@37.8061025,-122.4038345,18z/data=!4m8!4m7!1m2!1m1!1s0x808580f9c327e8bf:0x4d6a820549cd7ea3!1m2!1m1!1s0x808580f62abd65a5:0xcdd8de76108b3b78!3e2

55 Francisco is just over a block from old Pier 35. If the suitcase is all you have and causes you no problem, it would save traffic to park first before making your way to 27. If not, the porters will take your suitcase at the entrance to the embarkation area. You don't have to search.

For your viewing pleasure, these photos taken from the Grand Princess on the morning of Saturday 10/24/2015 from C415 (starboard side).

The first two were from my phone, the last one from hubby's camera.

These shots are beautiful. I usually sleep through the sunrise when we sail into our disembarkment port. We will be sailing the Grand from SF this coming January and your pics convinced me it is so worth getting up for this amazing view!! Thanks for posting!!:)

• 2 months later...

WE recently got an email saying that our boarding time is 2:30 pm, Im wondering if we will be allowed on the boat before that time if we go early. this is our first cruise from SF so we are not sure of how long it will take us to get to the pier.

WE recently got an email saying that our boarding time is 2:30 pm, Im wondering if we will be allowed on the boat before that time if we go early. this is our first cruise from SF so we are not sure of how long it will take us to get to the pier.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2304534&highlight=staggered+boarding

My question is when disembarking how easy was it to get back to the terminal to pick up passenger and luggage after picking up the car at 55 Francisco. How far do you need go down The Embarcadero before you can make a u-turn to get back to pier 27?

Thanks -- Sue

My question is when disembarking how easy was it to get back to the terminal to pick up passenger and luggage after picking up the car at 55 Francisco. How far do you need go down The Embarcadero before you can make a u-turn to get back to pier 27?

Thanks -- Sue

It is very easy to get back to Pier 27 from the parking garage.

Turn right on Francisco when you exit the garage

Turn right on Montgomery

Turn left on Lombard

Turn left on Embarcadero

Turn right into Pier 27.

No U-turn needed.

Thanks CL -JW that is the route it shows on the map. Thought maybe I was missing something because someone I know said she drove down The Embarcadero forever before she could make a u-turn and how crazy it was. Think she must have headed straight down The Embarcadero after leaving the garage and didn't take the side streets. Thanks for the quick reply

Sue

Can anyone with experience comment on picking up passengers after the cruise. My sister-in-law has said she will pick us up after, but we are unsure of where to meet. Thanks in advance for help. :)

Very easy!! Just walk out of the building and the traffic control will point you over to the other side of the driveway. There are a couple of benches over there to sit and wait or if all filled, there are planter walls to sit on. They usually don't even care if cars waiting to pick up passengers park down at the end of the drive through. You will have no problem connecting up with your ride once you have gotten through customs and picked up your luggage.

Cruise Raider,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was concerned more for my sister in law driving in than myself, but it sounds like they will point her in the right direction. One less thing to worry about.

BTW does your CC name imply that you're an Oakland Raider fan?

Edited by raider23

Cruise Raider,

Thank you very much for your reply. I was concerned more for my sister in law driving in than myself, but it sounds like they will point her in the right direction. One less thing to worry about.

BTW does your CC name imply that you're an Oakland Raider fan?

Indeed it does...yours as well? Actually, I am from Green Bay so do root for the Cheeseheads but the Raiders as my second favorite. My DH was born in Oakland and has been a huge fan since he was a boy and bought season tickets every year since they returned from LA. We even have a Raider room in our house. Every piece of his clothing is grey, white, silver or black.

This year, he's even gone to two games immediately after upon disembarking from the Pier in SF ... I have to plan all cruises around the Raider's home game schedule. LOL!!

Too bad you weren't going on the same cruise with us over the summer. We are getting a limo and have room for 2 more. We just live on the other side of the Dublin Grade from you guys.

Indeed it does...yours as well?

Absolutely! Born & raised here in the east bay, been a Raider fan all my life, even when they were on their "road trip" in LA. Funny because Green Bay is my NFC team as my initials are GB. Thanks again for your help, enjoy your cruise and GO RAIDERS!:D

Absolutely! Born & raised here in the east bay, been a Raider fan all my life, even when they were on their "road trip" in LA. Funny because Green Bay is my NFC team as my initials are GB. Thanks again for your help, enjoy your cruise and GO RAIDERS!:D

So, you must be happy that they are staying in town for at least one more season, possibly 3 ... and then they are going to decide on what to do from there. :)

Actually, I am from Green Bay so do root for the Cheeseheads but the Raiders as my second favorite.

Okay, OT: LOL. I was reminded on another thread about a restaurant in Green Bay where I had some really good fish. It was fried but not at all greasy and so moist. Some of the best I've ever had. I have been trying to remember the name of the restaurant. It was downtown, near shops and boutiques and whatnot. I think the name began with an "S" or and "R." This was maybe 15 years ago or more, so the place may be gone now. Any idea? :D