Nieuw Amsterdam questions

jackson bernard

Hello

We just booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for the sailing on Nov 15. It's been a few years since we sailed HAL, and we have a few questions.

When is gala night?

Do you get dressed up in a specialty on gala night?

Is the main dining room open on embarkation?

Can I get a standing reservation for two at a private table if I tip the maitre de say $100.00 on the first night? Maybe more?

Is smoking allowed in the cabana club?

Do you have to pay to use the spa and is the number of passes limited?

Are there any reservations we have to make?

Thank you.

Hello

We just booked the Nieuw Amsterdam for the sailing on Nov 15. It's been a few years since we sailed HAL, and we have a few questions.

When is gala night?

Do you get dressed up in a specialty on gala night? There are dozens of threads about dress code and how to comply, or avoid it. It is a hot topic.

Is the main dining room open on embarkation? Typically only to repeat cruisers.

Can I get a standing reservation for two at a private table if I tip the maitre de say $100.00 on the first night? Maybe more? Crazy. No need to do that. If you are in Anytime dining, you request a two person table. You may have to wait, but you will get one.

Is smoking allowed in the cabana club? No

Do you have to pay to use the spa and is the number of passes limited?

Are there any reservations we have to make? Have to make- in advance? A cabana, if you wish one. You can make Pinnacle reservations in advance, or you can make when you get on board.

Thank you.

See answers above. Suggest some reading on the board- lots of good info here for you.

Thank you. Does anyone know if you have to pay for a spa pass and is it weekly or can you just show up.

They sell a length of cruise pass and a day pass. The length of cruise pass is usually pretty economical and there's a decent discount if both people in the cabin get the pass.

The number of weekly passes is limited,,so go early.

Edited by POA1

We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year during the exact same week you're going to be on and it was the dressiest crowd we've seen in a long time. I think it was because there was a large number of Europeans. You saw a good percentage jacket and tie wearers even on non formal nights. I don't know if that was just a one-off or not.

Oh dear. I will bring a jacket

It can't hurt. :) You can always take off your coat, but you can't conjure one out of thin air. I think you picked a great cruise. Hope you'll enjoy yourself.

• 3 weeks later...
You can call Ship Services at 1-800-541-1576 to order the pass for your entire cruise.

To buy a day pass (if any are still available) if have to wait until you are on the ship and go to the salon/spa area to buy them.

Bless You, Krazy Kruizers !! I just called and paid $150 for a 7-day pass. Thanks for steering me in the right direction! d055.gif

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Nieuw Amsterdam last year during the exact same week you're going to be on and it was the dressiest crowd we've seen in a long time. I think it was because there was a large number of Europeans. You saw a good percentage jacket and tie wearers even on non formal nights. I don't know if that was just a one-off or not.

It was a one off!

It was a one off!

No. We were on 3 out of 4 weeks from mid November through mid December. It was a dressy crowd. The first week, Mid-November through Thanksgiving was really a well turned out crowd. Probably the most well dressed passenger contingent we've seen since the early 2000s. The other two weeks weren't quite as formal, but definitely way above average in terms of dress. Not only that, people stayed dressed all night. It was funny to be watching the BB King show, listening to Sam Cooke's "Twisting the Night Away," and realizing that the lyrics, "Here's a man in evening clothes

How he got here, I don't know, but

Man, you oughta see him go..." applied to well over a quarter of the men in the crowd.