Anyone else upset over "30%" sale?

e39m5

I've been eyeing the prices on a sailing for a while and was pretty excited to receive the 30% off email from RCCL today.

Turns out 30% isn't being taken from yesterdays cost, but instead some random price?

Any thoughts on this?

This is normal. Don't base your cruise price on what they are telling you their sale is. Select your cruise because you are happy with the price you found.

It's like going to a furniture store......they have a new sale every other day, but the prices never go down.

I get excited when I see a sale.

So far when we booked our upcoming CL2 on Allure next August we have gotten price reductions after these sales.

To date $2208.00 off booking made on Oasis this past August.

Just gives me a heads up to pay closer attention.

Sea Ya

......they have a new sale every other day, but the prices never go down.

TRUTH. Just like a lot of retailers, there is always a "sale," but not really. That being said, the 30% sale is slightly better than the BOGO "sale" they had for a year and a half. My summer 2016 cruise total cost went down about $200 for 3 people. It's something, even if not much.

I sort of suspected after 2014's "Kids Sale Free," there wouldn't be another good sale for a while. That was kind of too good to be true. My family and my sister's family cruised under that sale with our collective 7 kids. :D

Edited by emory2001

I think the price of the sales depends on which sailing dates and months. It is all about supplies and demands.

For us, we only can cruise whenever school is out dues to our daughter. For that 30% off sales, we check our booked cruise this year during Thanksgiving week and next year during Christmas week the price is even more expensive than we originally booked.

I also checked for a cruise during next summer when school is out, it is more expensive than when I look into it few months ago.

Edited by StrikeEagle

I've been eyeing the prices on a sailing for a while and was pretty excited to receive the 30% off email from RCCL today.

Turns out 30% isn't being taken from yesterdays cost, but instead some random price?

Any thoughts on this?

The 30% is off the full price, not 30% off the BOGOHO prices which might be what you looked at prior to this sale starting.

We saved a few dollars on a couple of sailings when this sale started

Like any business, they're basing their prices on demand. The more rooms that are sold (especially 3+ months away from sailing), the higher the price will likely be. In almost any business some sales are just "sales", meaning they inflate the original price. Occasionally there will be a "loss leader" sale to bring eyeballs in that is below a typical retail price, but they know they'll make it up with the upsell.

It's just another non sale.

Agree.

Reviewed pricing on all of our future bookings today.

The ones booked under the BOGOHO are still better. The one booking that didn't qualify for BOGOHO is still lower at the original booking price than the 30% off.

Other than the very first few days of the original BOGOHO sale....the "sales" are not "discounts"....they are just "creative marketing".

To me a "sale" is a $ or a % off of an original established advertised/published/displayed cost. NOT a $ or % off of an inflated cost above the initial/original advertised/published/displayed cost.

If a car hits the lot today with a sticker price of $40,000 and then they want to market it as a "sale" over the weekend but they up the sticker price to $57,750 so they can take 30% off to then give me a "deal" at $40,425....that is "creative marketing" ....not a "sale" or "discount".

Agree.

To me a "sale" is a $ or a % off of an original established advertised/published/displayed cost. NOT a $ or % off of an inflated cost above the initial/original advertised/published/displayed cost.

JC Penny thought the same thing and decided to do "no more sales" - they offered an "every day low price". Guess what....people stopped going. Now their "sales" are back and their sales are back up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2013/05/08/another-reason-j-c-penneys-no-sale-strategy-flopped-digital-deals-are-proliferating/

These "fake sales" are really just a response to how the general public currently shops.

JC Penny thought the same thing and decided to do "no more sales" - they offered an "every day low price". Guess what....people stopped going. Now their "sales" are back and their sales are back up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/barbarathau/2013/05/08/another-reason-j-c-penneys-no-sale-strategy-flopped-digital-deals-are-proliferating/

These "fake sales" are really just a response to how the general public currently shops.

Yes....but I have never seen JCP put something on the shelf with a $50 ticket and then switch the ticket to $72.50 so they could then take 30% off.

I saved about $400 on my Allure cruise with the 30% sale. Better than BOGO, especially for those of us that travel with more than 2 people in the cabin.

Same with me. We are a family of three and saved a lot for our holiday cruise on Oasis. Getting the refund was simple too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Usually I don't check every time Royal has a sale...but this is the first time I saved some $...$280 total (lost $50 OBC from TA since the total cost went below a threshold).

My Jan Allure 2017 is still $600 higher with this sale vs what I grabbed it for this summer.

John in NC