Tuscan Grill on Summit?

Cruise_Dancer

The ship profile page for the Summit lists Tuscan Grill as coming soon:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-summit

When was this announced? I know that there were plans to redo the Normandie menu and that the SS United States is being replaced with a Tuscan on the Infinity. Is the same thing happening to Normandie?

March 13 will be the first sailing, after drydock when Normandie goes away and is replaced by Tuscan Grill.

The new menu for Tuscan Grill was sampled today on Infinity by crew during it's dry dock.

This is what was posted:

We had a tasting tonight (yes, it's my job). ‪‎Honored to be invited. Starting with a fabulous cocktail called the Basil Smash, I had a unique cheese and cured meat starter, pasta carbonara, crab aranchini, beet and farro salad, T-bone steak, seared ref snapper with crushed potatoes and wilted spinach, polenta, arugula and goat cheese salad, fried calamari, homemade meatballs, limoncello cheesecake, pistachio creme brûlée, and the Spimoni donuts. Home made ‪#‎limoncello‬ at the end. Add a peartini at the Martini Bar and I AM DONE!!! We are the first ship in the fleet to get the new TG menu.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We had a tasting tonight (yes, it's my job). ‪‎Honored to be invited. Starting with a fabulous cocktail called the Basil Smash, I had a unique cheese and cured meat starter, pasta carbonara, crab aranchini, beet and farro salad, T-bone steak, seared ref snapper with crushed potatoes and wilted spinach, polenta, arugula and goat cheese salad, fried calamari, homemade meatballs, limoncello cheesecake, pistachio creme brûlée, and the Spimoni donuts. Home made ‪#‎limoncello‬ at the end. Add a peartini at the Martini Bar and I AM DONE!!! We are the first ship in the fleet to get the new TG menu.

Pasta, meatballs and donuts. Michael Roux would turn around in his X grave. Such a shame.

March 13 will be the first sailing, after drydock when Normandie goes away and is replaced by Tuscan Grill.

The new menu for Tuscan Grill was sampled today on Infinity by crew during it's dry dock.

This is what was posted:

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We will get her tomorrow and have night 6 of the cruise for dinner in Tuscan. Most of it sounds good to us ! :)

I must say I'm very disappointed about the loss of Normandie on the Summit. The restaurant was one of the reasons we chose to sail on the Summit the last two times. It provided a unique dining experience wrapped around a past era of cruising that I don't think you could find on any other ship. Such a shame.

While I've never been to Tuscan Grill it is not going to prevent me from sailing on the Summit again in the future. I guess I wish they could have found a way to have added Tuscan on top of Qsine and Normandie.

Edited by chrismakris

The ship profile page for the Summit lists Tuscan Grill as coming soon:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/ships/celebrity-summit

When was this announced? I know that there were plans to redo the Normandie menu and that the SS United States is being replaced with a Tuscan on the Infinity. Is the same thing happening to Normandie?

On Celebrity Summit, The Normandie will be converted into Tuscan Grille. Guests who are currently booked in The Normandie for sailings beginning on March 19, 2016 or later, will also have first dibs on reservations in Tuscan Grille.

Am very disappointed in the loss of Normandy and the style and era of dining. I am hoping that they don't cram us together causing the loss of privacy to converse during dinner as is such the case in Luminae. Modern to me equates to crowding. More crowding means more people, smaller portions, less service. and bigger profit. Not liking the future of cruising. Not a positive experience for the consumer.:(

I hate to see Normandie go. The lobster and tenderloin are two of my favorites. But I never saw more than 50% of the tables seated while we were there (or in the other Murano-esque restaurants on the other M-class ships). So I understand wanting to make better use of the space.

On the other hand, we really enjoy Tuscan, too. And it has always been packed when we've been there. Since there's a finite amount of room where they can stick a restaurant, it makes sense.

Maybe if Celebrity would put some of the more popular dishes from Normandie (et al) on the Tuscan menu, fewer people would be disappointed.

We attended the Galley Tour last week on Summit. During the Q&A I asked about the thought behind changing Normandie to Tuscan. I don't think the Food & Bev manager was too happy about fielding the question. He did say that it was to meet the perceived demands of the new way people want to dine (my interpretation of his answer). We are also quite unhappy with this decision.

An interesting observation; our invoice for our Sea Pass account lists Normandie as "Normandy". I mentioned it as a courtesy to the GSR desk; suggesting that they may be able to correct it before it is gone (Normandie) :rolleyes:

We attended the Galley Tour last week on Summit. During the Q&A I asked about the thought behind changing Normandie to Tuscan. I don't think the Food & Bev manager was too happy about fielding the question. He did say that it was to meet the perceived demands of the new way people want to dine (my interpretation of his answer). We are also quite unhappy with this decision.

I hate to see Normandie go. The lobster and tenderloin are two of my favorites. But I never saw more than 50% of the tables seated while we were there (or in the other Murano-esque restaurants on the other M-class ships). So I understand wanting to make better use of the space.

I booked last week on the Summit as well and the only reservation they had left was Friday at 6, so we snapped it up. While in there I observed that the restaurant was never full even though I got the last reservation

It then dawned on me why. Normandie is at least a 2 hour meal if you do the whole spectrum. Therefore it is a slippery slope booking each table more than once. The last thing you want is to have people spending that kind of money on a specialty restaurant and then having them wait for their table.

I'm going to assume that they know how long the average table sits at Tuscan and realize that it is much less than at Normandie. Getting an extra 4 or 5 tables a night over 365 days of cruising at $50 a person is hard to pass up.