Dining room at night dress code?

sassafrass

What cracks me up is that people really seem to care about what others are wearing on a cruise. What the person at the next table is wearing should not and does not bother me in the least. My food tastes the same. My chair is just as comfortable, my conversation with my family is unaffected.

What really surprises me is that all those that call out Carnival for their cost-cutting and profit-motive changes are not calling out "formal" night for what it really is....a push to sell pictures.

What cracks me up is that people really seem to care about what others are wearing on a cruise. What the person at the next table is wearing should not and does not bother me in the least. My food tastes the same. My chair is just as comfortable, my conversation with my family is unaffected.

What really surprises me is that all those that call out Carnival for their cost-cutting and profit-motive changes are not calling out "formal" night for what it really is....a push to sell pictures.

I disagree. Yes, while CCL is making money, and a nice profit at that, on the pictures, it is offered for a reason. First, I am thankful for all those people that come on board and spend tons of money on the phots - it keeps the cost of my cruise down. And yes, while I can cruise other lines for the same if I shop around, it is usually very difficult to find such bargains as with kids, we are limited to holidays and spring break. Second, they offer the service because it is popular. There are tons of people who enjoy dressing up and getting a family photo - are you really going to put on your Sunday best and head to JCP for a photo op except for special events like graduation? My teenage son had a blast getting formal photos with his new fiends - he still displays it in his room almost a year later.

You may not enjoy dressing up. Some do. For me it is a M-F regular - but not in "pretty" dresses and strappy sandals as that is not business appropriate. It's nice to have the family dolled up and enjoying an elegant dinner in the MDR.

And for all those that want to go as casual as possible - did you ever stop to look at the waitstaff? Are they dressed like they are at your local american sit down joint? No - even on regular nights they are dressed up. No one ever considers showing a bit of respect for their efforts by dressing the part.... Again...just my 2 cents.

"are you really going to put on your Sunday best and head to JCP for a photo op except for special events like graduation? "

Yes...absolutely. We do this about every 18 months or so. My take is if you are going to do it, do it right. Formal pictures on Carnival, while it may be fun, is not doing it right IMO. They are vacation pictures, but no way do I mistake them for formal pictures. Usually the poses, lighting, etc are a bit off. Paper quality is average. Wardrobes tend to clash (who thinks of this when packing for a cruise...yeah hardly anyone), and the backgrounds tend to the ridiculous for a formal picture.

I disagree. Yes, while CCL is making money, and a nice profit at that, on the pictures, it is offered for a reason. First, I am thankful for all those people that come on board and spend tons of money on the phots - it keeps the cost of my cruise down. And yes, while I can cruise other lines for the same if I shop around, it is usually very difficult to find such bargains as with kids, we are limited to holidays and spring break. Second, they offer the service because it is popular. There are tons of people who enjoy dressing up and getting a family photo - are you really going to put on your Sunday best and head to JCP for a photo op except for special events like graduation? My teenage son had a blast getting formal photos with his new fiends - he still displays it in his room almost a year later.

You may not enjoy dressing up. Some do. For me it is a M-F regular - but not in "pretty" dresses and strappy sandals as that is not business appropriate. It's nice to have the family dolled up and enjoying an elegant dinner in the MDR.

And for all those that want to go as casual as possible - did you ever stop to look at the waitstaff? Are they dressed like they are at your local american sit down joint? No - even on regular nights they are dressed up. No one ever considers showing a bit of respect for their efforts by dressing the part.... Again...just my 2 cents.

One size fits none polyester waiter uniforms. Or do you mean when they put on the can can dancer outfit and dance gangnam style on top of serving stations?

I never liked suit and ties, so when the army we were not forced (sorry I used a wrong word) but yes we had to do it. I am proud of my service, I just don't like to dress up if it requires a tie. I really do not care what everyone else wears, I just like shorts or slacks and a decent shirt. I an certainly not going to do anything to ruin any ones fun, sorry if I stirred the hornets nest.

One size fits none polyester waiter uniforms. Or do you mean when they put on the can can dancer outfit and dance gangnam style on top of serving stations?

Its still a fun ship - and I wasn't commenting on the dancing. And while they may be polyester, you don't see your Hooters staff in that, now do you? Or Chili's or any other standard American fare restaurant. They are not dressed casually.

LMaxwell - I see that you and I disagree again. I wonder why on earth you cruise CCL...it seems to me that you have NOTHING but criticism for them. Or perhaps you are just a negative person? I hope someday you find a line that better suits your personality.

Edited by A&Jfamily

"are you really going to put on your Sunday best and head to JCP for a photo op except for special events like graduation? "

Yes...absolutely. We do this about every 18 months or so. My take is if you are going to do it, do it right. Formal pictures on Carnival, while it may be fun, is not doing it right IMO. They are vacation pictures, but no way do I mistake them for formal pictures. Usually the poses, lighting, etc are a bit off. Paper quality is average. Wardrobes tend to clash (who thinks of this when packing for a cruise...yeah hardly anyone), and the backgrounds tend to the ridiculous for a formal picture.

Good for you! My hubby and sons would revolt! But my point was for many, many people, this is their opportunity to get a nice "dressy" photo - people like it. It isn't just CCL shoving it down your throat to make a penny. If you don't want a photo politely say no and walk on.

Its still a fun ship - and I wasn't commenting on the dancing. And while they may be polyester, you don't see your Hooters staff in that, now do you? Or Chili's or any other standard American fare restaurant. They are not dressed casually.

I have managed to read the OP, undrrstand, answer factually, and provide visual help. You did nothing but go on a rant about people not dressing up. I actually take pity on you that you are so worked up what people wear. Neat clean and comfortable is fine with me. If you want to dress up for photos by all means do ao. You don't need my permission or validation. Whether or not I choose to join is up to me. Not you. Yes Carnival is fun and offers options. I can choose any option I want and should not face negative attacks by some anonymous person cowering behind a keyboard. Do what YOU want. It's your vacation. I will do what I want. It is my vacation.

LMaxwell - I see that you and I disagree again. I wonder why on earth you cruise CCL...it seems to me that you have NOTHING but criticism for them. Or perhaps you are just a negative person? I hope someday you find a line that better suits your personality.

You are in control of your own money and family. No one else's. Certainly not mine. I also have every right to voice my opinion in other threads and hold companies to standards for my hard earned money. I'm sorry you disagree but that is your loss and not mine.

Edited by LMaxwell

Good for you! My hubby and sons would revolt! But my point was for many, many people, this is their opportunity to get a nice "dressy" photo - people like it. It isn't just CCL shoving it down your throat to make a penny. If you don't want a photo politely say no and walk on.

Precisely. People have options. So choose what you like best. You like dressing up. Great. I sometimes do and sometimes dont. Either one is FINE. If that's a problem it is your problem. If you think dancing waiters and gangnam style with 2000 strangers is the same as a wedding for people you know and care for I can't help.

On a caribbean cruise I think nice jeans are perfectly fine. I also wear dressy shorts or capris. I don't see anything wrong with that. On a formal night I will wear a nice cocktail dress.

My husband on any given night will wear dress shorts, typically khaki or dress jeans. On formal nights he's given up on wearing a suit, we just don't like taking the room to pack it anymore. So, he wears black pants, a button up and a tie!

Hubby and I do exactly the same.

Last week on Sunshine, people wore whatever they felt like. Lots of baseball caps at the tables and no one got spoken to. On formal night, I saw jeans and "message T-shirts", and they were allowed in. There seemed to be no rule whatsoever on Sunshine.

However, on other Carnival ships, I did see the rule enforced and people being turned away. I guess it depends on the mood of the maitre'd.

As a man on all non formal nights I wear shorts and a decent shirt. On formal night I will wear dockers and a button down. This is what I just packed for my upcoming cruise. No issues with this on numerous cruises. Be comfy!

Why would a waiter care whether we dressed up or not? I do feel bad for the waiters as their clothes look very uncomfortable. Reason #512 I would never be a Carnival waiter. I also feel bad they make those poor folks sing, how badly so many people treat them, etc! BUT I don't think me dressing up shows any kind of "respect" for them. I think the notion of dressy clothes = respect is a very old-fashioned notion that is thankfully slowly dying in our society. That's my POV.

We follow rules to be clear. Sometimes, if I'm so moved, I even dress up. DH does once in a blue moon, but I never ask him to - why force someone to feel uncomfortable for someone else's sake over something so trivial and shallow?

I definitely think people should show respect for the waiters efforts by treating them nicely, making their jobs as easy as possible (being good customers), and tipping them at least the auto-grat if not more! That's how I show respect, not with my clothes!

You have opened the proverbial can of worms! There are many opinions on what to wear on a cruise. Personally, my husband wears khakis on casual nights with a collared shirt. On formal nights he wears a tux. That's just our preference but many people have a different view of what is ok. You said slacks so I'm assuming you are male? As a woman I wear a shorter dress or dressy capris and a top on casual nights and a cocktail or formal long dress on formal nights.

The good old days!

A&Jfamily,

You hit the nail directly on the head!!

It's also EXTREMELY clear (from their ramblings) the member is in dire need of a message board break.

:)

A&Jfamily,

You hit the nail directly on the head!!

It's also EXTREMELY clear (from their ramblings) the member is in dire need of a message board break.

:)

I dont see where LMax has criticized Carnival at all :confused: He is just giving his opinion which seems to include facts. Opinions here that arent 100% cheerleaderish are considered rambling and anyone giving them needs a break from message boards?

Just trying to get a feel for things around here as someone thats fairly new to this particular forum is all. :)

Edited by ryano

Why would a waiter care whether we dressed up or not? I do feel bad for the waiters as their clothes look very uncomfortable. Reason #512 I would never be a Carnival waiter. I also feel bad they make those poor folks sing, how badly so many people treat them, etc! BUT I don't think me dressing up shows any kind of "respect" for them. I think the notion of dressy clothes = respect is a very old-fashioned notion that is thankfully slowly dying in our society. That's my POV.

We follow rules to be clear. Sometimes, if I'm so moved, I even dress up. DH does once in a blue moon, but I never ask him to - why force someone to feel uncomfortable for someone else's sake over something so trivial and shallow?

I definitely think people should show respect for the waiters efforts by treating them nicely, making their jobs as easy as possible (being good customers), and tipping them at least the auto-grat if not more! That's how I show respect, not with my clothes!

fblike1.jpg

I dont see where LMax has criticized Carnival at all :confused: He is just giving his opinion which seems to include facts. Opinions here that arent 100% cheerleaderish are considered rambling and anyone giving them needs a break from message boards?

Just trying to get a feel for things around here as someone thats fairly new to this particular forum is all. :)

I did criticize the chintzy lobster cut back. Just like I did on RCI and NCL too. call a spade a spade.

So I'm like, you know, the Devil.

• 8 months later...
when I'm on vacation I want to wear what I want to wear. I'm no slob and wear nice shorts and shirts along with sandals. At nite I stay away from elegant nite. I don't own but one or two suits with ties, and almost never wear them. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but its my vacation too. When in the military I was forced to put on my dress green uniform and I learned to hate it, I guess it's a veteran thing for me.

First off, thank you for your service....On elegant nights, you aren't forced to wear a suit....khakis and a button down shirt is fine

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten