Dining room at night dress code?

sassafrass

The formal night on our last cruise was not very formal at all. I dressed in a cocktail dress and hubby dressed in slacks, dress shirt and tie. We both felt overdressed. One man at our table was in jeans and a carhart polo. Carnival seems to be very laid back on the dress attire. I only heard of one person getting turned away in shorts. Next cruise we will go a little less formal, no tie for him and maybe just a skirt for me.

You have opened the proverbial can of worms! There are many opinions on what to wear on a cruise. Personally, my husband wears khakis on casual nights with a collared shirt. On formal nights he wears a tux. That's just our preference but many people have a different view of what is ok. You said slacks so I'm assuming you are male? As a woman I wear a shorter dress or dressy capris and a top on casual nights and a cocktail or formal long dress on formal nights.

Been almost ten years since my last cruise. How formal is it on a normal eveing? Nice jeans okay? Need slacks? Opinions please.

I wear either on normal evenings that you are asking about, usually with a polo or golf shirt. On elegant night, I'll wear a button down shirt with slax or dockers. And I'm answering for mens wear.

On a caribbean cruise I think nice jeans are perfectly fine. I also wear dressy shorts or capris. I don't see anything wrong with that. On a formal night I will wear a nice cocktail dress.

My husband on any given night will wear dress shorts, typically khaki or dress jeans. On formal nights he's given up on wearing a suit, we just don't like taking the room to pack it anymore. So, he wears black pants, a button up and a tie!

when I'm on vacation I want to wear what I want to wear. I'm no slob and wear nice shorts and shirts along with sandals. At nite I stay away from elegant nite. I don't own but one or two suits with ties, and almost never wear them. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but its my vacation too. When in the military I was forced to put on my dress green uniform and I learned to hate it, I guess it's a veteran thing for me.

I try to pack light - the non-wrinkle dresses are the way to go. I have a couple of black and solids that wad up quite small, and with sparkly sandals are more than appropriate for anything short of black tie. I usually pack 3, a pair of black slacks and 4 casual (non-tshirt) tops and a more casual pair of sandals. Everything is mix and match depending on my mood.

Hubby will wear dress shirt, slacks and a tie on "elegant" evenings. Those same slacks paired with a polo are his regular evening attire; he usually travels with 2 pair. My teen will wear nice jeans some nights, but also has his slacks, shirt and tie for more formal wear. My tween has some nice plaid shorts that he might throw on. But both are required to wear collared shirts, tucked in with a belt. I am NOT looking at anyone's underwear, nor watching my son grab his crotch to hold up his pants! That's a long way of saying nice jeans are OK...but if you are taking slacks anyway, I suggest to save space that they do double duty.

I was raised to believe that it was better to be overdressed than under. But that's us - and I will not sink to the mentality of "it's my vacation and I will wear what I want..." Men do not wear hats indoors. Plain and simple. t-shirts with a marijuana leaf or advertising the latest bar you got smashed (all well and good - have done that myself) at are not appropriate for anywhere but the pool deck, your yard or shore excursions to nowhere. I don't want to see anyone's underwear either. If that's what you want to wear, that's all well and good, but then please abide by the rules and eat on the Lido. But don't worry - you won't ruin my cruise, you just look silly to me and I get a good laugh. Just my 2 cents.

when I'm on vacation I want to wear what I want to wear. I'm no slob and wear nice shorts and shirts along with sandals. At nite I stay away from elegant nite. I don't own but one or two suits with ties, and almost never wear them. I'm sorry if this offends anyone but its my vacation too. When in the military I was forced to put on my dress green uniform and I learned to hate it, I guess it's a veteran thing for me.

Forced to put on your dress green uniform? Really? My husband served 29 yrs in the Marine Corps and never ever felt he was forced to wear a uniform, he was proud to put on any of his uniforms and so was his family.

Edited by LTS1960

You can pretty much wear what you want. Carnival barely enforces their code (varies) but their code is just not very strict. Casual nights? No pool clothes or gym clothes or flops or cut-offs (from your 80s collection, I guess?) and you're fine. There's always an array - plenty of shorts or capris to be seen. Elegant nights? Wear pants (unless a lady in a dress/skirt) that aren't jeans and a shirt/top that's nice enough and you'll be fine, though many do have a proper dress shirt, often with ties (DH never looks WAY out of place without or anything though), sometimes with jackets or suits. Or, for the ladies, wear a dress or skirt or slacks set - it varies from gorgeous sparkly dresses to maxi dresses honestly. But the dress code forbids very little TBH. (There are "Suggestions" but they are just that.)

DH doesn't like dressing up, and that's one reason we favor Carnival. Even on an elegant night, he doesn't need a suit, jacket, or even a tie (he occasionally busts out a jacket or tie; never both) - just a dress shirt and slacks. I wear lots of dresses and throw in the odd cocktail dress (no gowns because: why? where else would I possibly wear it?) BUT sometimes go a whole cruise without a truly "dressy" dress. I will break out the high heels for elegant night (and the pictures that ensue - DH's idea, not mine, btw, but I indulge him).

I'm damn proud of my service...

So are we. Thank you.

8 cruises in the last two years, 26 Carnival ones total. Here's what works:

Cruise Elegant: khakis and a polo or Tommy Bahama shirt. All the other nights, khaki shorts (think Nike golf shorts length) and a polo or Tommy Bahama. I wear sandals or boat shoes on casual nights.

Some wear ties, some wear a suit, some wear a tux. All work.

Carnival and other mass market cruises are full of people that never step in a formal dining room. It's shorts and casual clothes for them from boarding to leaving the ship.

Have a great vacation!

Edited by BallFour4

Tux for me cocktail dress for the wife, while cruising Princess. Jeans and my really cool Lynyrd Skynyrd tee shirt that I have cut the sleeves off of, while cruising Carnival. But seriously, wear what you think you look good in.

Whatever you do, remember & keep in mind the very most important aspect; that there are thousands & thousands & thousands of Carnival passengers that sail the cruise line weekly & that Cruise Critic members on this Carnival message board here simply & merely make up a teenie, teenie, teenie, teenie, teenie tiny percentage of them. Approximately 1% or less.

Please take a peek at Carnivals dress code located @:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1093/~/dress-requirements-for-dining

Additional info @:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1125/~/what-to-wear%3F

Try not to concern yourself how (members) dress (here), but what would make you happy & comfortable during your holiday. Passengers sitting next to you while eating did not pay for your sailing. Never permit how someone is dressed to affect your voyage whatsoever. The amount of money & time that was put into your cruise should outweigh anything...

:)

On Carnival you can wear anything you want. However, I'm curious about your statement? You are attending a formal event in the military and they force you to dress appropriately? It brings me back to my childhood days when my mother would force me to dress nice for church, or a funeral, or a wedding with my tie and jacket on. Than I grew up, and I was forced to wear a unidorm at work so I would get paid. I go to work, and adhere to a dress code. I go out to dinner in nicer restaurants, and although they don't post a dress code, the expectation is to dress up a bit. My kids had a school uniform. My Son is in the Army and he proudly wears his dress uniform. Except for being the child, I never felt forced to dress appropriately and for a particular occasion.

No one forces you to go on a cruise, or go out to dinner, or attend a formal evening with your wife. Those are choices. Just like the choice to join the military or go to a private school, or public school with a dress code. But when you make those choices you also agree to the expectations that come with it.

The this is my vacation, and I will do whatever I want, and I don't care is getting kind of old.

On Carnival you can wear anything you want. However, I'm curious about your statement? You are attending a formal event in the military and they force you to dress appropriately? It brings me back to my childhood days when my mother would force me to dress nice for church, or a funeral, or a wedding with my tie and jacket on. Than I grew up, and I was forced to wear a unidorm at work so I would get paid. I go to work, and adhere to a dress code. I go out to dinner in nicer restaurants, and although they don't post a dress code, the expectation is to dress up a bit. My kids had a school uniform. My Son is in the Army and he proudly wears his dress uniform. Except for being the child, I never felt forced to dress appropriately and for a particular occasion.

No one forces you to go on a cruise, or go out to dinner, or attend a formal evening with your wife. Those are choices. Just like the choice to join the military or go to a private school, or public school with a dress code. But when you make those choices you also agree to the expectations that come with it.

The this is my vacation, and I will do whatever I want, and I don't care is getting kind of old.

a very, very, very good post!:)

OP asked about NON-formal nights. On those nights pretty much anything goes as long as it is not gym clothes or swimwear.

For formal nights use the same description but add "pants" as a requirement.

No one is forced to do anything on a Carnival Cruise. It is NOT a formal event. It is not a wedding, funeral, private school, or the military. It is not your workplace. It is a leisure vacation taken with 2000-4000 strangers. Carnivals dress code is VERY clear and easy to understand.

Dress up. Or don't. Any choice is fine. There is no mandatory uniform or requirements.

Edited by LMaxwell

On previous cruises, my DH is not into dressing up in tux or suit, so he didn't want to go to the MDR on elegant night. On my upcoming cruise in January, going with my sister, and we are going all the way... long dress, heels, the works! I have several dresses that I will wear at night, because I want and we'll have fun with it.