Good hotel in Southampton

DPD

Holiday Inn has great views. Ask for a high floor overlooking the cruise terminal. When we stayed before joining Eclipse last year we were so excited we were up early at 5.00am standing on the staircase watching the ship come up Southampton Water. Having pointed out to my wife the lighted superstructure of Eclipse, in the distance, she replied after a while "It's not moving very fast". It soon became apparent she was tracking a block of flats!! Lol!!

We stayed at the Grand Harbour in Sept., 2014 and August of this year, and we loved it both times. We didn't see any decline in service or quality. The staff in all areas was efficient and friendly, and we'll stay there again without hesitation.

We stayed at the HI once, and it was horrible from tired rooms to an unfriendly staff. The headboard was not attached to the bed and fell onto DH's newly replaced shoulder, and when we reported it to the front desk we were told to leave it against the bed and "someone will fix it." The pipes rattled and squeaked so loudly that at first we thought it was an alarm of some kind. All night every time someone used the "facilities" the pipes woke us up.

The Grand Harbour is slowly going down hill. The Novotel was good. I wouldn't recommend the Jury's Inn at all. I'm trying the Holiday Inn next May, it's free so I guess I won't be able to complain if it's rubbish!

Your comment, and gonecroozin's, about Grand Harbour surprise me - it's been getting much better reviews since De Vere sold it a couple of years back.

FritzG's comments about Hol Inn Herbert Walker Avenue don't surprise me, though I doubt falling head-boards are a frequent hazard ;). The place is rather tired, needs a damned-good refurb., it relies too heavily on its brand-name and its exceptional location/views for those cruising out of City cruise terminal.

But you've got it for an unbeatable price :)

Excellent breakfasts there too.

The city's two HI Expresses, and the HI at Eastleigh, several Premier Inns & Travelodges and both Hiltons are too far out of the city for those without a car.

Premier Inn City Centre is tolerably convenient but the wrong side of the city centre, Premier Inn West Quay is an excellent location and frequently recommended by CC members - Ozark's experience is unusual, Travelodge has recently opened a re-furb'ed hotel nearby - Travelodges aren't as highly regarded as Premier Inns and this one's in a dull & unimpressive building, but I've not been inside.

Jury's Inn is OK but rather bland. Like Premier Inn City Centre it's the wrong side of the city centre - and stuck in the middle of a gyratory system :eek:, though most guests cross the road without being killed :D

Ibis Budget is basic but adequate & cheap, it shares a reasonably convenient site with Ibis Plus and with Novotel, which gets consistently good reviews.

Other than Grand Harbour, they're all cloned chain hotels. They do the job but they all lack character.

For something a bit different, and as long as you're prepared to accept any limitations of historic surroundings, try the Mercure Dolphin (a former coaching inn) or Ennio's (boutique, a former waterfront warehouse) or Pig-in-the-Wall (boutique, built into the city wall).

The views of everyone who's posted are subjective.

As, of course, are mine.

JB :)

Other than Grand Harbour, they're all cloned chain hotels. They do the job but they all lack character.

For something a bit different, and as long as you're prepared to accept any limitations of historic surroundings, try the Mercure Dolphin (a former coaching inn) or Ennio's (boutique, a former waterfront warehouse) or Pig-in-the-Wall (boutique, built into the city wall).

As, of course, are mine.

We just spent a night at the Mercure Dolphin as we were interested in staying in an historic property rather than a chain. We were prepared for the creaky and uneven floors and the limits of an older building. But sadly, there's a difference between quaint/charming, and shabby, and the Dolphin (to us at least) fell on the wrong side of the line.

For example, the carpet in our room had stains all over it and should have been replaced long ago. And there was practically no light in the bathroom. These are things that are easily remedied without affecting the historical character of the property, which we were looking forward to.

The staff were extremely nice, and the breakfast room was much better maintained.

As, of course, are mine.

John has mentioned Ennios Boutique as a place to stay. Would appreciate input both good and bad from others who have stayed at Ennios.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a convenient way of getting from Heathrow to Southampton (not using a rental car)? Thanks.

A private transfer will cost £80 to £90 through http://www.smithsforairports.com or http://www.westquaycars.com or http://www.aquacars.co.uk

All three are based at the Southampton end, and have frequently been recommended by CC members.

About 90 minutes.

Much less convenient but also the cheapest way, is by booking seats on a coach with http://www.nationalexpress.com/home.aspx at about £18 pp.

Add a taxi from Southampton coach station to your cruise terminal, at about £7 to £10.

Book a coach for about 2 hours after your flight arrival time.

About 2 hours.

Most ships offer their own coach transfers from airport terminal to cruise terminal. Staff from the cruise line or their port agents greet you in the arrivals hall of all terminals. A coach cruises the airport terminals picking up passengers, and when it's full it heads to Southampton and the next coach starts cruising the terminals - so regardless of your arrival time there's usually only a fairly short delay between arrivals hall & heading for Southampton.

VFM varies greatly depending on the cruise line - Princess' transfer is reasonable money at about $60 last time I heard, RCI were charging $101 a couple of years back.

90 minutes plus.

International Friends offers a tour-transfer from Heathrow to Southampton via Stonehenge at £64 pp, but I would be wary of booking this when flying in same-day because if your flight is delayed you risk missing the bus & losing your money. You also need to make your own way from your airport terminal to a Heathrow hotel for the pick-up.

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_from_london_shared_bus.html

Do consider their more extensive door-to-door tour-transfer in the opposite direction if you're planning a few days post-cruise in London.

The train from Heathrow to Southampton isn't a great choice, because the journey starts with a RailAir transfer bus from Heathrow to a mainline station, where you switch to a direct train. Combined transfer+train about £40 pp.

About 2 hours total journey time. So although it's more expensive and less convenient than the Nat Express coach, it's no quicker.

But because the service is frequent & no need to pre-book, the train is a useful Plan B if things go belly-up.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Hope this helps, rather than confuses ;)

Edited by John Bull

• 1 month later...

Our concern about many of the Southampton hotels is bed size or availability of a twin room.

On our last visit we stayed at the Premier Inn West Quay in what was supposed to be a twin room. The room had a bed slightly smaller than a US queen-sized (it is a UK king-sized) and a sofa that when the pillows are removed is used as a bed. (This is now noted on the hotel's website). DH has a CPAP so he had the bed (electrical outlets) and I used the sofa.

The only hotel I can find with either a super-size King or true twin beds is the Grand Harbor. Has anyone found any others?

Edited by Alaskanb

We have stayed in a number of hotels in the Southampton area and, like a number of other people who posted on this thread, our preference is definately the Holiday Inn in Herbert Walker Avenue by the docks. We have never had any problems at all and the staff have been really efficient and breakfast good. A short stroll has given us access to the city centre and endless dinner venues of all standards so we do not book dinner in the hotel. Often our ship has docked walking distance of the hotel and we have walked to the terminal which is a bonus.

The beds in the holiday inn are the one and a half by two meters standard, so five foot wide and bigger than the old standard double width, (of four foot six inches), which is found in some UK hotels. The meaning of 'queen' and 'king' size over here seems to vary according to who is using the term, so we always ask specifically about the size the beds by asking if they are five foot wide or four foot six wide. You do not often get beds wider than five foot in the UK, but a few hotels do offer them in vey upmarket rooms.

Edited by tring

John has mentioned Ennios Boutique as a place to stay. Would appreciate input both good and bad from others who have stayed at Ennios.

One of the moderators on this forum mentioned a while back that they stayed at Ennios - and were full of praise.

It gets good reviews on TripAdvisor and on booking.com

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/ennios-boutique.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=ennios-boutique-Ma8_srZZyxntWCmPyiJuzAS95260319200%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atiaud-146342137270%3Akwd-13803486893%3Alp1006707%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm;sid=8e2a8fcba33028c235b27ecb33d7ef90;dcid=4;dist=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=6a67c24901f2f2b84b320b322d9ef3f7788e4fa6X1;type=total;ucfs=1tab-reviews

(we place more faith in booking.com reviews because only those who've stayed at a property thro' them can post a review about it)

I've not stayed there but have dined there (it's effectively an Italian restaurant with rooms above). Faultless food & surroundings & service, but not as good VFM as many.

Thanks John for your valued input. I found the booking.com reviews of interest.

One of the moderators on this forum mentioned a while back that they stayed at Ennios - and were full of praise.

It gets good reviews on TripAdvisor and on booking.com

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/ennios-boutique.en-gb.html?aid=311076;label=ennios-boutique-Ma8_srZZyxntWCmPyiJuzAS95260319200%3Apl%3Ata%3Ap1%3Ap2%3Aac%3Aap1t1%3Aneg%3Afi%3Atiaud-146342137270%3Akwd-13803486893%3Alp1006707%3Ali%3Adec%3Adm;sid=8e2a8fcba33028c235b27ecb33d7ef90;dcid=4;dist=0;room1=A%2CA;sb_price_type=total;srfid=6a67c24901f2f2b84b320b322d9ef3f7788e4fa6X1;type=total;ucfs=1tab-reviews

(we place more faith in booking.com reviews because only those who've stayed at a property thro' them can post a review about it)

I've not stayed there but have dined there (it's effectively an Italian restaurant with rooms above). Faultless food & surroundings & service, but not as good VFM as many.

• 3 weeks later...

We are fans of Premier Inn and almost always stay at this chain when we visit London. Cruised out of Southampton once and the stay was pretty good too.

[YOUTUBE]NFUtrUcYPZs[/YOUTUBE]

All that said, Premier Inn is a budget type of chain. I would imagine that the Holiday Inn would be better in terms of quality of product. They are supposed to be, anyway.