Pre-booking Excursions

jujuyu211

Hi fellow HAL experts,

I was wondering if HAL posts all available excursions online for pre-booking or are there more options when we board? My cruise is not for another 9 months.

Namely, I am going on the 11-Day Panama Sunfarer and I read that there are clam shells for rent and horseback riding at Half Moon Cay but when I looked the only thing available is some private villa for $500 :eek: I've been checking since 9 months before departure. Is it because it's sold out??

At Puerto Limon, I wanted to go zip lining but there are so many choices and there doesn't seem to be a clear description that differentiates one from the other. Zip Line Adventure vs Original Canopy Adventure vs Adreneline Adventure. Anyone been to any of them that can provide me more information? I can't decide!! :confused:

Any suggestions for other ports of call: Aruba, Curacao, or Cartagena

Much appreciated!!

Are there any reviews on the HAL site for the tours you're looking at? There tend to be only a few for each tour, but it might help a bit. Or ask on port of call boards.

It seems unlikely that the clamshells would all be sold so far out. Have you checked to see if there's another ship in port with you? (try whatsinport or cruisett) If there are two ships at Half Moon Cay, things do sell out early.

OR it's possible that HAL hasn't loaded all the options yet. I know for my cruise in January, they had tours loaded, but when I looked at dining, all they showed was Canaletto. I called Ship's Services and they said "We're still loading things for that month. Try next week." I tried the next week and found Pinnacle, but Le Cirque wasn't loaded yet. Why they don't load EVERYTHING for a particular cruise mystifies me, but at 9 months out, it's possible that some things aren't loaded. HAL offers a lot of tours/activities at HMC. If all you see is villas, I'd bet they haven't loaded everything yet.

I don't recall seeing new tours/options added on board. Mostly they add extra times for tours that sell out, if vendors can accommodate extra tours.

If all internet options fail, try calling Ship's Services. They may not be able to answer specific tour questions, but they might tell you if some things are not yet loaded.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Nine months out is too far away. Around 6 months out HAL will make available an Excursions pdf brochure that will contain most of the excursions ... but some may be cancelled or added when you board.

To get the pdf brochure:

Start a booking for your cruise using a browser other than IE or Edge

Click the DETAILS button

If the next screen shows the Key Ports, click the Itinerary tab

On the Itinerary page click the VIEW SHORE EXCURSIONS button above the Day/Date columns

If you only have IE or Edge browsers available click the Email This Brochure button above Depart

Edited by jtl513

We are doing the 11 day Sunfarer in January. I read that the clamshells sell out really fast, so I grabbed one as soon as we booked. We have family members who have been on Half Moon Key and they did not pre rent one. They said that unused ones were all over the place, plus other people were inviting people to join them in theirs. They thought we were crazy to rent one. If you are on our cruise in January, you are more than welcome to join us in ours. The more, the merrier😎.

As far as the other activities, you will get a flier in your cabin before you get into each port with all the available excursions listed. We have found that few are sold out, so we wait to see what we feel like doing(this is after prebooking prior cruises and then wishing we had not). If you go on your roll call for your cruise, you will find some people are arranging activities outside the ship's offerings and you can ask to join those tours as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We are doing the 11 day Sunfarer in January. I read that the clamshells sell out really fast, so I grabbed one as soon as we booked. We have family members who have been on Half Moon Key and they did not pre rent one. They said that unused ones were all over the place, plus other people were inviting people to join them in theirs. They thought we were crazy to rent one. If you are on our cruise in January, you are more than welcome to join us in ours. The more, the merrier😎.

The clamshells are designed to hold two loungers, with the foot ends sticking out. You'll need to be very friendly to invite others into your clamshell! :D

See the photo randomly picked from the net.

cxWUn5

Thanks for all the responses. I read some of the reviews but they weren't really specific. I'll try calling the ship services.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I started checking 9 months out but now I am only 29 days until departure!! I am so excited but was just wondering if I should book excursions now or hold out for more options on board (if that is the case!)

Appreciate all the responses!

Also, I board end of November and I have been checking occasionally (maybe once every few weeks) since 9 months ago and never seen the clam shells. So either I have really bad timing at catching them or they are not offering them. I'll call ship services to check.

Also, I board end of November and I have been checking occasionally (maybe once every few weeks) since 9 months ago and never seen the clam shells.
Well that's a different case than I was responding to after you said in your first post:
I was wondering if HAL posts all available excursions online for pre-booking or are there more options when we board? My cruise is not for another 9 months.

I don't know why you didn't see clam shells available at some point.

They said that unused ones were all over the place, ...
Ordinarily a clam-shell is not set up (the supporting pole put in place) by a HAL employee until it is claimed by someone who paid for it. Possibly the "unused ones all over the place" were rented by people who were temporarily in the water or at lunch, etc. Or maybe the "unused ones" they saw were not set up because they were not rented? Edited by jtl513

29 days out is very different than 9 months. Recommend you call ship's services about the clam shell rental. In your cabin will be a booklet of tours so read the descriptions and decide or you can wait to attend the excursion talks about Puerto Limon as they will talk about the different zip line options. They usually differ in # of stops, length of the zip, etc. Recommend you go to your cruise's roll call and also check out the Ports Of Call section on CC.

No clamshells are listed in the "excursion" section of our booking for January 15th either. Do they normally list them there or do you just book them when you get on board. It's our first stop at HMC.

We've always booked in advance as they've been known to sell out. I've no idea why they aren't showing up on the website.

No clamshells are listed in the "excursion" section of our booking for January 15th either. Do they normally list them there or do you just book them when you get on board. It's our first stop at HMC.

I just looked at the booking section and the excursion pdf for our late-Jan cruise, and clamshells are not listed in either place. I know I reserved one in advance (Online) for our cruise last Jan, booked through the website. I don't know why they seem to be unavailable now.

They are listed in the brochure for our cruise next month, and I think that's the normal case.

They are also available for booking on line. For those that don't see them on-line, did you click the link where it says "View All Excursions In Half Moon Cay" over on the right side?

Edited by catl331

They are listed in the brochure for our cruise next month, and I think that's the normal case.

They are also available for booking on line. For those that don't see them on-line, did you click the place where it says "View all excursions for Half Moon Cay" over on the right side?

I did click on that. Saw lots and lots of cabanas and tours, but no clamshells.

I did click on that. Saw lots and lots of cabanas and tours, but no clamshells.
For me, about half way down, after "Eco Lagoon Cruise" and "Calypso Island Tram" I see "Clamshell Sunshade Rental". Sorry! :(

I've looked at the shore excursions for a number of upcoming cruises and NONE of them include the clamshells. I'm just wondering if Hurricane Joaquin blew them all away?
They are listed on-line and in the Excursion booklet for us next month!

Clamshell Sunshade Rental (Includes 2 Chairs)

Departs: Available Varies Price $19.95 Relax under your very own clamshell on the beautiful and aptly named beach at Half Moon Cay—a crescent-shaped stretch of powdery white sand and inviting turquoise water.

Please note: Rate shown is for one clamshell,

Edited by catl331

For me, about half way down, after "Eco Lagoon Cruise" and "Calypso Island Tram" I see "Clamshell Sunshade Rental". Sorry! :(

They are listed on-line and in our Excursion booklet for us next month!

Clamshell Sunshade Rental (Includes 2 Chairs)

Departs: Available Varies Price $19.95 Relax under your very own clamshell on the beautiful and aptly named beach at Half Moon Cay—a crescent-shaped stretch of powdery white sand and inviting turquoise water.

Please note: Rate shown is for one clamshell,

I guess my sampling didn't include your cruise. :)

Thanks for all the responses. I read some of the reviews but they weren't really specific. I'll try calling the ship services.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I started checking 9 months out but now I am only 29 days until departure!! I am so excited but was just wondering if I should book excursions now or hold out for more options on board (if that is the case!)

Appreciate all the responses!

Clamshells are rented thru Shore-Ex. They are open today until 4:30 PM Pacific time. I suggest you call ASAP. 888 4259376

Edited by 1ANGELCAT