I get conflicting info! Power Strips on Constellation?

skoeper

Hmm. Are the hearing devices something other than hearing aids? Why would you need the extension cord? Don't you just need multiple outlets? Regular outlets as opposed to USB outlets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, what we need is more outlets. We have "dryers" which the hearing aids and/or Cochlear Implant devices are kept in overnight to remove moisture. Some of the group uses rechargeable batteries in their hearing aids/C.I.'s and those usually last less than a day, so a set is always being charged. Then, of course, there's the cell phones (for time, camera, just our BRAINS, ha) and the tablets used to read. Some will have to charge their camera batteries too.

I'm hoping that the extension cord will give us another place to plug something in, at least one more. We shall see!

We typically travel with several different power strips - one for multiple USB outlets, and one for additional plugs; all are capable of operating on both the standard US 110-120 as well as international 220-240. They are usually packed in checked luggage, but have occasionally been carried in my backpack with all the other cables and batteries for iPhones, iPads, MacBook, and multiple camera cables.

We have never had a problem with them being singled out or confiscated. Additionally, we only use them when we are in the cabin to keep track of them; when we leave the cabin, they are stowed away.

Read this:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Problem as I understand it is that ship wiring systems are not the same as shoreside wiring systems. Under certain circumstances, incompatibilities of residential type surge protectors with shipboard electrical systems can result in a fire.

In short, it is a very bad idea to bring a surge protector extension cord (power strip) designed for use on land aboard a ship.

Edited by jan-n-john

Is there any multi-plug strips we CAN take onto the Constellation? I've never been sent to the naughty room and I don't want to begin now. But we have a group with hearing loss and we will be bringing a lot of hearing devices that need charging.

Advice?

For safety purposes, power strips and extension cords are prohibited from being brought on board. An extension cord may be provided for medical reasons only. For further information, please contact our Access Department at 1-866-592-7225.

For safety purposes, power strips and extension cords are prohibited from being brought on board. An extension cord may be provided for medical reasons only. For further information, please contact our Access Department at 1-866-592-7225.

Your website only says extension cords are prohibited. It says nothing about power strips. Neither do my edocs. If you don't want them brought then put it in writing.

Read this:

http://www.uscg.mil/tvncoe/Documents/safetyalerts/SurgeProtectiveDevices.pdf

Problem as I understand it is that ship wiring systems are not the same as shoreside wiring systems. Under certain circumstances, incompatibilities of residential type surge protectors with shipboard electrical systems can result in a fire.

In short, it is a very bad idea to bring a surge protector extension cord (power strip) designed for use on land aboard a ship.

It is a bad idea on some ships wired a certain way. The Coast Guard does not say do not to bring surge protectectors. It recommends that ship operators determine if it applies to their vessels. The circumstances are a certain kind of wiring, when there is a fault in that type wiring.

Edited by Charles4515

It is a bad idea on some ships wired a certain way. The Coast Guard does not say do not to bring surge protectectors. It recommends that ship operators determine if it applies to their vessels. The circumstances are a certain kind of wiring, when there is a fault in that type wiring.

If I understand it correctly, it's not a "fault in that type of wiring", it's the technical nature of that type of wiring. And it's still a bad idea for you the passenger to do it unless you are knowledgable about the technical details of the wiring on the particular ship that you are bringing the device aboard, which is not likely unless you are an electrical engineer who has specific knowledge of that vessel.

BTW, the Celebrity prohibition on extension cords would still cover power strips because they too are extension cords, though I would agree it would be better to make that explicit.

Edited by jan-n-john

If I understand it correctly, it's not a "fault in that type of wiring", it's the technical nature of that type of wiring. And it's still a bad idea for you the passenger to do it unless you are knowledgable about the technical details of the wiring on the particular ship that you are bringing the device aboard, which is not likely unless you are an electrical engineer who has specific knowledge of that vessel.

BTW, the Celebrity prohibition on extension cords would still cover power strips because they too are extension cords, though I would agree it would be better to make that explicit.

My documents that I recently received don't even mention extension cords as prohibited. Of course a list can't be made of every conceivable item but with all the gadgets people bring it they don't want multi outlets brought onboard they should say so, just like they say no clothes irons.

As far as the wiring, I understand the technical details. There are two different ways to wire. Delta and Wye. In simple terms homes in the US use Wye. Some industries use Delta. Apparently some ships use Delta. Not all ships so we don't even know if Celebrity ships use Delta except someone in one of the threads said they don't. Some surge protectors are wired such that if the wiring is Delta and there is a fault in that wiring there could be a fire. Passengers can't be responsible for that. Although I personally could take my voltmeter and test the outlet for what kind of wiring. The advisory leaves it up to the ship owners. Since Celebrity doesn't say anything I am sure thousands are bringing their Belkins Surge Protectors onboard and using them. None has ever reported a Belkin Surge Protector being confiscated. Passengers don't even know about this possible issue. Only a few passengers read Cruise Critic.

Edited by Charles4515

They have been prohibited for many years. Could be the majority of extension cords that passengers bring get overlooked. It may depend on how they are packed. It could be that that the ones that are confiscated are really large or something. We only hear about it on the forum when someone says an extension cord is confiscated. That could be one time out of ten but it not being confiscated does not change the fact that extension cords are not allowed and named as a prohibited item. Power Strips are not named as prohibited. But looking around the house I have a couple that have very long cords so some might consider those extension cords with a strip. The power strip I bring on cruises is more power strip than cord. It sits on the cabin desk to provide a few extra outlets, not to extend them. I don't bring items that I know are prohibited. I brought a travel iron my first few cruises because I didn't know they were not allowed. It was never confiscated and it was even in full view in my cabin. But when it came to my attention on Cruise Critic that they were not allowed I stopped packing it even though it had never been confiscated. If I needed an extension cord for medical reasons and was aware of their policy I would notify the special needs department rather than bring one.

This is my first time on Celebrity, but I am Diamond on RCCL. I had never seen this restriction on Royal...the last time I sailed with them was about 2 years ago.

I don't bring items that I know are prohibited either...ever.

This is my first time on Celebrity, but I am Diamond on RCCL. I had never seen this restriction on Royal...the last time I sailed with them was about 2 years ago.

I don't bring items that I know are prohibited either...ever.

I can't find anything currently on the Celebrity web site about extnsion cords. I did find this on Royal Caribbeans web site.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2608

I can't find anything currently on the Celebrity web site about extnsion cords. I did find this on Royal Caribbeans web site.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=334&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2608

So as far as Celebrity I guess we are on our own subject to the whims of whoever scans our bags. Nothing on their web site or docs. Of course we have the post in this thread from their representative saying they are not allowed. However having talked to many Celebrity reps on the phone over the years they are often mistaken.

The prohibiting of extensions is on the website under what not to pack. In the past some passengers have reported the confiscation of power strips being told they are technically extension cords. I'm on vacation and only on my phone so can't do extensive search. Don't shoot the messenger.

Edited by dkjretired

I don't know if you are dealing with wallwart transformers or normal plug in devices but I'd suggest getting some 3 way adapters (no cord....the ones that just plug in) and throwing a few of those into your suitcase. They are clearly not extension cords (they have no cords) and they look very much like the chargers that folks carry for their phones/tablets. The belkin is just a USB charger even though it has three or four electric outlets on it :)

Since you are working with "handicapped" individuals (not in the ADA sense...but from a common sense point of view), I think Celebrity should offer you some assistance....perhaps "Celebrity Cruises" can help if he/she reads this thread.

Edited by ghstudio

The prohibiting of extensions is on the website under what not to pack. In the past some passengers have reported the confiscation of power strips being told they are technically extension cords. I'm on vacation and only on my phone so can't do extensive search. Don't shoot the messenger.

Agreed. Splitting hairs on whether a power strip is an extension cord.

Here's the complete list:

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Electrical Extension Cords, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

Agreed. Splitting hairs on whether a power strip is an extension cord.

Here's the complete list:

For the safety of our guests and crew there are certain items that are not allowed onboard. If these are found they will be confiscated. Alcoholic beverages, illegal drugs, flammable liquids, explosives, and dangerous chemicals will not be returned.

Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas

Sharp Objects, including knives and scissors*

Illegal Drugs & Substances

Candles & Incense

Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, Electrical Extension Cords, & Hot Plates

Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows and Arrows

Skateboards & Surfboards

Martial Arts Gear

Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray and night sticks

Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks

HAM Radios

Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint

Alcoholic Beverages**

*Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed. Scissors with blade length less than 4 inches are allowed.

**Two bottles wine per stateroom are allowed on embarkation day, subject to corkage fees.

A power strip is not an extension cord. An extension cord has no surge protection to it; whereas a power strip does.

In actuality, it is an "extension block". Unlike an extension cord, it includes a circuit breaker to interrupt the electric current in case of an overload or a short circuit.

Comparing an extension cord to a power strip is like comparing a motorcycle to an SUV. While both are motor vehicles, one offers you a LOT more protection than the other.

I don't know if you are dealing with wallwart transformers or normal plug in devices but I'd suggest getting some 3 way adapters (no cord....the ones that just plug in) and throwing a few of those into your suitcase. They are clearly not extension cords (they have no cords) and they look very much like the chargers that folks carry for their phones/tablets. The belkin is just a USB charger even though it has three or four electric outlets on it :)

Since you are working with "handicapped" individuals (not in the ADA sense...but from a common sense point of view), I think Celebrity should offer you some assistance....perhaps "Celebrity Cruises" can help if he/she reads this thread.

A power strip is not an extension cord. An extension cord has no surge protection to it; whereas a power strip does.

In actuality, it is an "extension block". Unlike an extension cord, it includes a circuit breaker to interrupt the electric current in case of an overload or a short circuit.

Comparing an extension cord to a power strip is like comparing a motorcycle to an SUV. While both are motor vehicles, one offers you a LOT more protection than the other.

A power strip may or may not have surge protection. At a minimum it should have the overload protection breaker you mention. The Monster Outets to Go that I use does not have surge protection but it does have an overload protection breaker.

Please cite where it says in any documents or on the Celebrity web site that power strips are prohibited from being brought on board. Word of mouth or your saying so in individual posts is a disservice to Celebrity customers. Most of them don't read Cruise Critic. They get their information from either documents or the web site. Or from travel sites that have packing lists. Those lists almost always say pack a power strip or have that as a tip. With all the devices, smartphones, tablets, cameras passengers bring with the probably a majority bring some kind of power strip. So Celebrity not having clarity is one problem. They may not be clear on purpose because they know many passengers need more outlets than provided and bring power strips.

Actually, for safety purposes, you should allow power strips. On my last cruise with Celebrity, the hair dryer my wife was using experienced a "surge" and popped the breaker. It overheated the dryer and it couldn't be used for a short time. If was plugged into a surge protector, that would not have happened. (This was the Hair dryer provided by the cruise line and plugged directly into the outlet.)

Be that as it may, an extension plug with multiple plugs can overload easily; a power strip is designed to prevent an overload.

IMO, I'd rather Celebrity NOT hand out any extension cords to anyone. I'd much prefer them to use surge protectors/power strips. After all, as you say, it's a safety issue.

Edited by Kevin T Brown

Actually, for safety purposes, you should allow power strips. On my last cruise with Celebrity, the hair dryer my wife was using experienced a "surge" and popped the breaker. It overheated the dryer and it couldn't be used for a short time. If was plugged into a surge protector, that would not have happened. (This was the Hair dryer provided by the cruise line and plugged directly into the outlet.)

Be that as it may, an extension plug with multiple plugs can overload easily; a power strip is designed to prevent an overload.

IMO, I'd rather Celebrity NOT hand out any extension cords to anyone. I'd much prefer them to use surge protectors/power strips. After all, as you say, it's a safety issue.

Their ship. Their rules. They get to define what "is" is.

Their ship. Their rules. They get to define what "is" is.

I have no problem with following the rules. Hence the reason, per their rules on their website, I do not bring an extension cord. Surge protector, yes; extension cord, no.

Safety is well covered there. ;)

there is no difference between a detachable power cord on a charger and an extension cord. I use an Anker USB charger with a detachable power cord. I am now somewhat confused if that's legal or not on a Celebrity ship. Is a Belkin travel charger with multiple outlets somehow defined as an extension cord even though it has no cord? Is a standard, local hardware store, three outlet plug an extension cord?

I'd also point out that maintaining and charging hearing aids/devices is a medical need. I suspect the OP is talking about low wattage devices...not multiple hair dryers. Surely there must be a point where common sense steps in.

Instead of trying to enforce an unpublished restriction on power strips, Celebrity Cruises, why don't you try to help the OP find a solution.....

Edited by ghstudio

there is no difference between a detachable power cord on a charger and an extension cord. I use an Anker USB charger with a detachable power cord. I am now somewhat confused if that's legal or not on a Celebrity ship. Is a Belkin travel charger with multiple outlets somehow defined as an extension cord even though it has no cord? Is a standard, local hardware store, three outlet plug an extension cord?

I'd also point out that maintaining and charging hearing aids/devices is a medical need. I suspect the OP is talking about low wattage devices...not multiple hair dryers. Surely there must be a point where common sense steps in.

Instead of trying to enforce an unpublished restriction on power strips, Celebrity Cruises, why don't you try to help the OP find a solution.....

Hear, hear! :)

Awww, thank you and Kevin T. Brown! That's really all I'm trying to do :) You guys are awesome!