Tiles, Medallions

bushy tail

On the second segment were you on one of those 'collector's cruises'?

If yes, this is right... you attend just one of those events.... ceremony/brunch ... not both weeks.

On any cruise.. any cruise.... if you think something is going 'wrong' then it takes just a second to ask someone what is happening. No excuse for sure but ... something can go wrong.

Perhaps someone made an error on the Collector Cruises we took last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were invited to both medallion presentations and Mariner lunches. We attended both presentations, but we had a conflict with attending the 2nd lunch.

We were surprised (but pleased) to be invited to all four events.

We were invited to both medallion presentations ...
In the six years (and 7 cruises) since we made Copper we have been invited to just one medallion presentation... on the Prinsendam, when about 3/4 of the passengers were there, in the main showroom! It was a segment of a 116 day Grand Med, so anyone who did the whole thing was "instant Copper", even if it was their first time on HAL.

This is what they gave out on that one day!

jr4fvt.jpg

Edited by jtl513

Perhaps someone made an error on the Collector Cruises we took last month on the Nieuw Amsterdam. We were invited to both medallion presentations and Mariner lunches. We attended both presentations, but we had a conflict with attending the 2nd lunch.

We were surprised (but pleased) to be invited to all four events.

Glad you were invited to both ceremonies and brunches/lunches.

We have done quite a few Collector Cruises and were always invited to both Award Ceremonies -- until last October.

On the Eurodam we were only invited to the first ceremony and first brunch/lunch.

Not sure why we weren't invited the second week -- we thought it was part of the new rules HAL has been implementing (cutbacks).

I forgot to add that on the Nieuw Amsterdam last month (March), as far as I could tell, the only Mariners who were invited were those who were being presented medallions and those who were 4 and 5 Star Mariners. We met in the Queens lounge both times and both times the lounge was about 80-90% filled. Some of our table mates and Trivia Team members who had previously received their Copper/Bronze medallions and were 3-Star Mariners were never invited to the presentations.

I don't know if that practice is HAL-wide, but that was the way it was done on the Nieuw Amsterdam with 2 different Captains.

In the six years (and 7 cruises) since we made Copper we have been invited to just one medallion presentation... on the Prinsendam, when about 3/4 of the passengers were there, in the main showroom! It was a segment of a 116 day Grand Med, so anyone who did the whole thing was "instant Copper", even if it was their first time on HAL.

This is what they gave out on that one day!

jr4fvt.jpg

On the Prinsendam this past January (segment of the Grand South America/Antarctica), they sent the medallions to the cabins and asked us to bring them to the ceremony.

I sent an e-mail to HAL Mariner Society about our missing 2-star lapel pins. They (Danny) just e-mailed back to say that they are now in the mail.

Not a big deal at all and easily fixed, but I guess it is another example of things getting lost in the shuffle with HAL.

Ruth,

Once a mariner moves on to Silver, Gold or Platinum or higher.... one forgets to remember what copper even remembers!!!! ;-)

Remember the ribbons.... blue with orange piping.... or orange with blue piping!

Stephen

I loved the blue with orange piping or orange with blue piping, but was most excited to get the white ribbon in January 2015 . Yea, 700 days.

I loved the blue with orange piping or orange with blue piping, but was most excited to get the white ribbon in January 2015 . Yea, 700 days.

Getting that one was a kick. But I still like the blue/orange ones better.

Medallions Program ending? I hope it never stops. How much can it cost? You get to 700 days platinum and get a $10 medallion? How are there? A few hundred at most. The cost of a drink? Not much. I wish the reception was earlier on the cruise... instead of at the end. Too many things to do at the end.

HAL had better not run out of silver medallions as I'll exceed 300 days on my July cruise and expect to be presented with my medallion on my September cruise.

Edited by Sue from Canada

HAL had better not run out of silver medallions as I'll exceed 300 days on my July cruise and expect to be presented with my medallion on my September cruise.

If you reach the magic 300 "heads in beds" number in July, the silver medallion should be awarded to you on that cruise. You aren't supposed to have to wait until the next cruise for your medallion.

Congratulations!

If you reach the magic 300 "heads in beds" number in July, the silver medallion should be awarded to you on that cruise. You aren't supposed to have to wait until the next cruise for your medallion.

Congratulations!

Thanks Ruth. I thought I read on one of the boards that you get your medal on your next cruise unless one is doing a very looooong cruise. Either way, I'm going to get it. And I like the medals. I don't think I'll ever get the gold one - not unless I win the lottery or HAL completely drops the single supplement.

Thanks Ruth. I thought I read on one of the boards that you get your medal on your next cruise unless one is doing a very looooong cruise.

That's the rule of perqs in the Star program---an entirely separate Mariner program with an entirely different set of rules.

And I like the medals. I don't think I'll ever get the gold one - not unless I win the lottery or HAL completely drops the single supplement.

I thought I would never get the gold one either. And now I have the platinum! :D

Just keep on keepin' on!

Edited by RuthC

Do you think we will get a tile on the Koningsdam? I would imagine they will be quite pretty. It will be our first HAL cruise but a long time ago we cruised with Carnival. I thought I read that we will be considered Star Mariners (like pre-one star Mariners) and invited to the embarkation luncheon (where the tiles are given out?) and reception. We have Mariner numbers.

We will be on our first HAL cruise in August. Will we receive a tile? We will be in a Neptune suite if that makes a difference.
Being in the suite does not matter, but see below:

Do you think we will get a tile on the Koningsdam? It will be our first HAL cruise but a long time ago we cruised with Carnival. I thought I read that we will be considered Star Mariners (like pre-one star Mariners) and invited to the embarkation luncheon (where the tiles are given out?) and reception. We have Mariner numbers.
Partially correct. Having sailed one of HAL's sister lines under Carnival Corp (e.g. Carnival, Costa, Princess, Cunard, etc) you are considered one-star and entitled to go to the Mariner Brunch near the end of the cruise and receive a tile. On the HAL site check MyAccount>MyMarinerStatus to see if you show as 1starMariner.gif. If not, email the Mariner Society with the specifics on your Carnival cruise. When you board your key-card will show the symbol.

The embarkation day lunch no longer exists on some ships, but when it does it is open to everyone, not just Mariners. The tiles were never given out on that day.

Edited by jtl513

Jim and Senior Citizen, you are one star Mariners with 0 points since you have cruised with Carnival before but it wouldn't hurt to make sure HAL is aware of your history.

There have been some recent changes to the Mariner Program since my last HAL cruise. My understanding is that the lunch on embarkation day is open to everyone when it is (not always) held. The Mariner event on embarkation day is now a Cocktail Party in the Crows Nest in the afternoon, I believe in the 2-3PM time frame. My impression is that it does not seem to be universally publicized so you may need to ask but you should certainly be welcomed.

The tiles will be given out at a separate luncheon on a sea day. If there are a lot of Mariners on board there may be more than one, but you should get an invitation. Nobody has any experience yet but I would be very surprised if there are not Koningsdam tiles.

Roy

Topsham/Stephen - can you show us what they look like? Thanks!

I wish I could. I can't open the file... in WORD.

Only best I can show you is the 'start' of the KODM tile. I made the original' pen and ink drawing and then it goes on to Goegewaagen for their artist to make it 'printable' and they also do the 'decoration' around the edges of the tile.

Normally the image for the tiles is based on from the large original paintings. For KODM the painting shows backdrop of mountains. It didn't work on the style for the new series. So.... I made a new 'original' of the ships... all in black in white in pen and ink... with clouds instead of mountains.

There is a new series and again.... I can't open the WORD. :-( If I had a clue how to make it a jpeg I'd help. I will try to get another file from HAL.

Stephen

1002226106_Scan.jpgkodmtilesjcard2.jpg.1d46be09bd5ea41f84988a7d5f05c4eb.jpg

Jim and Senior Citizen, you are one star Mariners with 0 points since you have cruised with Carnival before but it wouldn't hurt to make sure HAL is aware of your history.

There have been some recent changes to the Mariner Program since my last HAL cruise. My understanding is that the lunch on embarkation day is open to everyone when it is (not always) held. The Mariner event on embarkation day is now a Cocktail Party in the Crows Nest in the afternoon, I believe in the 2-3PM time frame. My impression is that it does not seem to be universally publicized so you may need to ask but you should certainly be welcomed.

The tiles will be given out at a separate luncheon on a sea day. If there are a lot of Mariners on board there may be more than one, but you should get an invitation. Nobody has any experience yet but I would be very surprised if there are not Koningsdam tiles.

Roy

It is the Mariners Society lunch. Not the embarkation day lunch. If you do not attend you can ask the front desk to have the tile sent to your room.

Thank you for your responses.

I just checked my HAL account and that symbol is there. Is it a person with a star above him/her?

Also, thanks for showing us the drawing that will be on the tile. I like it with the clouds.

We're really looking forward to our first cruise with HAL. New ship, great itinerary---and a delft commemorative tile!!