Must cancel cruise leaving tomorrow , no insurance

newcruzer2

I work as a nurse for a cruise line and can't believe the number of passengers who travel without medical insurance. One pax told me she never took out insurance for the Caribbean as it was so close to the US. The cost of a medivac from the Caribbean to FLL can be up to $40000 the charges for an overnight in the ICU can be 2-5000$. It doesn't matter how healthy you are or how many times you have cruised without insurance. One accident or serious illness can happen to anyone anytime. And believe me it does. The price of medical insurance should be factored in to the price of cruising. I don't even go over the border shopping in Buffalo without insurance

Terry

Edited by boone2

I have to say that I cannot get my head around the 'no excuse' policy. This must cost a fortune, and in reality, as you can cancel a cruise up to 13 weeks prior to departure, what is the point?

The point is you may not now that far in advance you need to cancel.

Examples:

o Your boss tells you at the last minute you cannot take vacation due to an important project that came up.

o You (or a family member) have a pre-existing medical condition that would not be covered with regular cruise insurance and it needs medical attention the day before your cruise.

I'd like more information on this. Where are you located that you can buy an annual worldwide policy for $200? And how do you buy such a thing?

You can buy an annual policy from Travelguard for about $250. But the trip cancellation coverage is pitiful $1500 for the entire year. They provide $100k in evacuation.

I always get the no excuse insurance. Have had to use it twice. Once when my cat was dying (which my TA wasn't sure that would be covered but it was) and the other time was during my mom's health decline. After those two experiences' date=' it reinforced my idea that the insurance is so worth it.

It's the same thing as any insurance. You have it in hopes that it will never be used.[/quote']

Are you talking about cancel for any reason coverage? And did you actually get a refund or was it a future cruise credit from Princess when your cat was dying? (My condolences on both your cat and your mom).

I'd like more information on this. Where are you located that you can buy an annual worldwide policy for $200? And how do you buy such a thing?

My husband and I are in our late 30s and live in Ontario, Canada. We pay $166 CDN each for a yearly comprehensive (medical/trip cancelaltion/baggage loss) travel insurance package from Manulife that covers us for up to a 10 day trip to anywhere in the world, so we're covered if we decide to drive to Niagara Falls, NY for a day of shopping or go on vacation for 10 days or less. We cruise at least twice a year and often pop over to the States (well, we did more when the dollar was better!) for a day, so it's well worth the cost to us. Wouldn't leave home without it.

Wow, I've never heard of this branch of medicine before. Does the doctor treat you by showing you photos of Charles Fourier and Olaf Palme?

Oh my god, this is the best thing I've read all day! Thank you for the chuckle!

Are you talking about cancel for any reason coverage? And did you actually get a refund or was it a future cruise credit from Princess when your cat was dying? (My condolences on both your cat and your mom).

I doubt this was covered for monetary refund. There are some that cover for Service dogs but I haven't found one for regular pets.

Edited by Coral