Horrible customer service with Holland America

albingirl

Thank you everyone for your replies. It has been helpful to hear from you. No, we didn't book a suite, and yes, it would have been lovely to keep the perks with the price drop, but the issue was the PCC and lack of good service from Seattle. Not sure what we will do right now, but we were really looking forward to the itinerary.

For our upcoming cruise the price did NOT go up when the Explore 4 promotion began. So, I was really happy and booked.

Now that Explore 4 has ended the cost of the cruise dropped $600 - so that is $1200 for the two of us. But, I still think it's a bargain, especially for my husband who enjoys his cocktails a lot more than I do.

But I was surprised at the amount it dropped. Yes, I could cancel and re-book, but this is the price I agreed to and like I said, it is still a good deal for my dh.

Pat

Thank you everyone for your replies. It has been helpful to hear from you. No, we didn't book a suite, and yes, it would have been lovely to keep the perks with the price drop, but the issue was the PCC and lack of good service from Seattle. Not sure what we will do right now, but we were really looking forward to the itinerary.

There is no excuse for poor service from a PCC. If your PCC is not to your liking, please call HAL directly and ask for a new one.

As to your pricing difference, IMO $2400 for a 48 day cruise seems about right for dropping Explore4, as it comes out to $50 per day (which I assume is per person). Our future 10 day cruise was $50 less per day (pp) without Explore4. Are you aware that on many cruises you can get pricing with and without Explore4? Of course, since this promotion just ended, this point is not significant now (but may apply to other promotions, so always ask).

Do the price drops that people see after Explore4 ends run across all categories? I've seen no price drop for my cabin grade on two different cruises. I couldn't do anything about it anyway, because Ex4 ended a few days AFTER I hit final payment both times. (In both cases, I hadn't looked at the cruises before Ex4 was offered, so I don't know if it made the price go up at any point.

On Westeram, I was in a Neptune. On Veendam, I was in a Vista. I didn't do a lot of checking on the Westerdam cruise, but for Veendam, i watched prices and availabilities of Neptunes, hoping for the upgrade fairy to show up. That never happened, but I did notice that the balcony cabins on Veendam did not drop at all. The insides and oceanviews seemed to change every few days, going up or down a few hundred dollars.

I've just read this whole thread and from what I can get out of it is the OP wants the price reduction and keep the Explore4 and "that ain't gonna happen".

She has to chose if she wants the lower rate OR the Explore4, not both, or cancel and move on to another cruise line.

It does her no good to complain about their pricing policies, it is what it is. Everyone else has had to rebook or remove the Explore4 to get the lower price, why should he/she be any different?

I'm sure there are great PCCs. OP doesn't have one though and has received poor service from other staff in Seattle. Gotta cut bait at some point.

And I have never said anything about getting a reduction and keeping a promo. It's the opposite, you drop a promo and save substantially.

We cannot recommend TAs here. But hint a great one posts n the HAL board.

Spot on!!! I also wish I could recommend our TA by name on here but, as you know, the CC rules are the rules. :rolleyes::mad:

Edited by avian777

You are right about the PCC. The cruise pricing has me tearing my hair out of my head. No honesty there, whatsoever. But, yes, we can drop the E4, but why on earth should we have to. Ridiculous.

And here's the problem: your expectations are unrealistic.

There is honesty from HAL here. You were offered a price with certain benefits. You accepted it Other people are being offered a lower price without those benefits.

Why should you have to drop the E4? Because the fare difference is what the E4 benefits are sold for, that's why. You can't expect something for nothing and then call people dishonest when they don't give it to you.

If you're not happy with HAL, then I think it best that you do make the switch to another line. It will only ruin your cruise (and that of everyone within a 10 m radius) if you spend the whole time brooding about the $2400.

And here's the problem: your expectations are unrealistic.

There is honesty from HAL here. You were offered a price with certain benefits. You accepted it Other people are being offered a lower price without those benefits.

Why should you have to drop the E4? Because the fare difference is what the E4 benefits are sold for, that's why. You can't expect something for nothing and then call people dishonest when they don't give it to you.

If you're not happy with HAL, then I think it best that you do make the switch to another line. It will only ruin your cruise (and that of everyone within a 10 m radius) if you spend the whole time brooding about the $2400.

You are right. I won't brood. I'll rebook at the lighter fare. Thanks everyone.:)

Albingirl,

Sorry you've had such a poor service experience with HAL. We used the HAL rep once for a booking and I wasn't happy. We never used her again. I hope HAL can make changes for their customer service that would be more responsive to their cruisers, without whom they would not have a business.

I would suggest that you talk to some local TA's and try one of them for your next booking. See if they are better able to serve you. We are fortunate to have one a few miles away from us. She always gets in touch with me within a short time when I email to ask questions, watches for changes/upgrades, etc. It may be worth trying it out and comparing the two experiences.

For our 14 day booking next summer on Koningsdam, we originally booked (on board ship) the trip and had it transferred to our TA. When we returned home she broke down the two prices--with/without Explore 4. We had just finished a 14 day trip and added up the charges Explore 4 would cover. We found that we spent about half what the Explore 4 cost so we went with the lower fare and our TA rebooked it.

Whatever you decide, have a fabulous cruise. :)

Do the price drops that people see after Explore4 ends run across all categories? I've seen no price drop for my cabin grade on two different cruises. I couldn't do anything about it anyway, because Ex4 ended a few days AFTER I hit final payment both times. (In both cases, I hadn't looked at the cruises before Ex4 was offered, so I don't know if it made the price go up at any point.

On Westeram, I was in a Neptune. On Veendam, I was in a Vista. I didn't do a lot of checking on the Westerdam cruise, but for Veendam, i watched prices and availabilities of Neptunes, hoping for the upgrade fairy to show up. That never happened, but I did notice that the balcony cabins on Veendam did not drop at all. The insides and oceanviews seemed to change every few days, going up or down a few hundred dollars.

It really depends on the cruise. One of ours went UP by $100 per person when Explore 4 ended. The other stayed the same. I checked both cruises with and without Explore 4 when we booked.

We were able to add extra OBC to both cruises during October, which was National Plan a Cruise Month - without losing our E4 perks.

Or, you can find a TA who discounts 10-15% which is almost the same as getting the promo and getting a price reduction.

That's what we get, a 13 to 15%. We booked the 1/15/17 Koningsdam cruise with the Explore 4 knowing we could re-fare after seeing if there was a price drop. After the promo ended, the fares went down $400 PP for our NS. Even though we had $500 OBC with the Explore 4 and National Cruise Month (or whatever it was called), we'd end up saving $$ as we get a 50% discount on Pinnacle dinners and the Hotel Service Charge would be $190. We don't drink that much, so we'd save over $250 w/o the promo.

Our Koningsdam aft wraparound cabin lists for $2,899 PP and our cost is $2,449 PP so the $900 savings is equal to a 15.5% discount from our online TA.

For our 5/7/16 cruise on the Westerdam, our aft wrap cabin wasn't reduced after the Explore 4 ended, but it did go up only $100 prior to the Explore 4 promo. For that amount, the promos our worth the price.

Edited by kjw869

I'd be anxious to hear about the fabulous ta that is able to get the price reduction and the e4. I'd bet the op would be interested in that info too.

On two occasions (both Alaska cruises), we were able to get the Explore 4 promo added at the original price we paid for the cruise, despite the price hike for the promo. Both times, we had booked the cruises months before the Explore 4 were announced.

Of course this isn't the same as booking at a higher fare with the promo, and then wanting to keep it when the prices roll back.

On two occasions (both Alaska cruises), we were able to get the Explore 4 promo added at the original price we paid for the cruise, despite the price hike for the promo. Both times, we had booked the cruises months before the Explore 4 were announced.

We have had the exact same experience using our TA, most recently on an Alaska r/t ...

Or, you can find a TA who discounts 10-15% which is almost the same as getting the promo and getting a price reduction.

I'd really like to find a TA who discounts 15%, as I am under the impression that that's the total commission they receive.

Scott & Karen

I'd really like to find a TA who discounts 15%, as I am under the impression that that's the total commission they receive.

Scott & Karen

The base commission and the override commission is not all agencies receive. Some of the large online agencies do very well, base on volume.

It also seems to depend on what cabin grade you book. Many CC members book with the same agent and agency and get a smaller discount for lesser grade cabins.

They are out there and easy to find. Ask for the "bare bones" discount.

Scott & Karen

Perhaps the 15% is a bit high. I've heard from those I trust that they have gotten 15% but the best I've been able to get is in the 12.5 to 13.5% range. These people have been using this TA more than I so perhaps they're getting a better rate than I.

A 12.5% discount is about the amount being quoted here as the value of a E4 package if one is booking a suite.

Perhaps the 15% is a bit high. I've heard from those I trust that they have gotten 15% but the best I've been able to get is in the 12.5 to 13.5% range. These people have been using this TA more than I so perhaps they're getting a better rate than I.

A 12.5% discount is about the amount being quoted here as the value of a E4 package if one is booking a suite.

HAL Confirmation copy on top, agent confirmation on bottom. Over 15%, and I've had even higher discounts with the agent. HAL price, $2,899 PP, agent price, $2,449PP which translates to a $450 PP discount.

Scan2.jpg

This is exactly one of the reasons why we would never use a cruise line agent to book.

On one occasion, when we had a cruise selected and were ready to book our on line TA advised us of an identical cruise on a very similar cruise line, for twenty percent less than the one we were about to book.

Somehow I cannot see a HAL, Celebrity, or Princess PCC sending us off to anther ship/cruise line to take advantage of this saving.

Only once have we ever had a better price from a cruise line agent. Last Feb, from an RCI cruise line agent in Australia. He just kept giving us discounts for age, diamond, whatever.

Why pay more???

Edited by iancal

HAL Confirmation copy on top, agent confirmation on bottom. Over 15%, and I've had even higher discounts with the agent. HAL price, $2,899 PP, agent price, $2,449PP which translates to a $450 PP discount.

Scan2.jpg

Appears by the format that you are using the same on-line agency that we have for years. Savings have consistently run from 10-12%.:)

Appears by the format that you are using the same on-line agency that we have for years. Savings have consistently run from 10-12%.:)

Many CC members do. Name and agency was given to me by a HAL employee who left the company a few years back after she moved out of Washington.

We've saved over $12K on the 14 cruises booked with that agency.

Edited by kjw869

I'm not sure from your posts what you are asking the PCC/supervisor to do. Did you ask them to rebook you at the new rate? It is always frustrating when you can't get through to someone in a timely manner.

On our last cruise, the price dropped three times between booking and final payment, and our TA just rebooked us into the same cabin. First the price dropped and also added Explore 4 (we took it), then it dropped but we would have lost the promotion and the difference wasn't enough to rebook, and then it dropped enough that it was well worth losing the Explore 4. We booked the cruise at the original price because we thought it was worth it to us, and in the end we were lucky to have it at a lower price. It's not personal, and it isn't hidden. You can easily see what you're getting for your money.

This is why we don't drive ourselves crazy by checking for price drops after we book a cruise. We usually choose our cabin and we book a cruise if we think the price is right at the time we book. Our upcoming Allure cruise has had several price changes since we booked it months ago, but we like our cabin and we didn't want an upgrade. The people on this cruise will have paid all different prices, but we don't care.

However, we booked our Westerdam cruise 14 months in advance so I'm sure there will be price changes. Since I really don't care which balcony cabin we are in on that cruise, I will probably check out any price changes on that one before final payment, but I still might not change anything. I'm sure I'll end up paying more than some people on that same cruise. That's just the way it is. I do agree with the op that $2400 is a lot, but I am still unsure if she is beyond final payment and what exactly does she want HAL to do for her.

My TAs do no research other than finding pricing and perks. For instance I'm saving $650pp over the HAL quoted price on our next cruise PLUS $350 in OBC.

Saving money for superior service = winning.

Same here, I tell my TA what cruise and cabin number I want and then tell her to "show me the money!!" :)

There are times I book with my HAL PCC and then always transfer the booking to my TA for the discount after securing the perks. In 2014, my HAL PCC couldn't get us a free pre-cruise room at the Pan Pacific in Vancouver, because it was for new bookings only. Twenty minutes after it was transferred, my TA secured the room.

As mentioned in a previous post, the $12K savings in four plus years with our TA paid for two of our cruises.

When I book with the HAL PCC and transfer the booking, he still gets credit for the booking.

For some cruise passengers, they feel more comfortable booking directly with cruise lines which accounts for only 30% of cruise bookings according to the 2014 Market Study by CLIA. To each his (her) own!

Edited by kjw869

This is why we don't drive ourselves crazy by checking for price drops after we book a cruise. We usually choose our cabin and we book a cruise if we think the price is right at the time we book. Our upcoming Allure cruise has had several price changes since we booked it months ago, but we like our cabin and we didn't want an upgrade. The people on this cruise will have paid all different prices, but we don't care.

However, we booked our Westerdam cruise 14 months in advance so I'm sure there will be price changes. Since I really don't care which balcony cabin we are in on that cruise, I will probably check out any price changes on that one before final payment, but I still might not change anything. I'm sure I'll end up paying more than some people on that same cruise. That's just the way it is. I do agree with the op that $2400 is a lot, but I am still unsure if she is beyond final payment and what exactly does she want HAL to do for her.

I may have written that wrong. We actually did take a lower price, and were able to keep our assigned cabin (we cared that time). Our TA kept watch over prices and so did we. And yes, some people got better deals, but since we were happy with our original price, then saving more money was gravy. :)