Horrible customer service with Holland America

albingirl

So, we booked a cruise months ago with Explore 4. Yesterday, I received a Facebook announcement that our cruise had dropped in price by $2,400. Yikes. Tried calling for 2 days and finally a person, not my usual "ho hum" PCC consultant called me today and said, "oh well, that's our policy." I said, oh, run a promotion and then make people pay for that promotion down the line? Yup. It's very dishonest of HAL to run these promotions like they are giving you something, when actually you will pay through the nose for it in the end. By the way, NO supervisor would talk with me. They sent it down the chute.:eek:

Seeing you booked directly with HAL/PCC, cancel and rebook. However, you do risk losing your current cabin if you do that.

Thank you. No risk involved; not a great cabin anyway. It's a year away so I was going to upgrade along the way. We may not rebook. May go to another cruise line. It was very disingenuous of HAL to be so dishonest, in my opinion.

Please do not think that every cruise line does not have their own style of promotions and benefits.

They are all for profit businesses and the bottom line is their main target.

Also, don't fret. For any of us who choose to go to a different cruise line, someone from that other cruise line comes to HAL. :)

Please do not think that every cruise line does not have their own style of promotions and benefits.

They are all for profit businesses and the bottom line is their main target.

Also, don't fret. For any of us who choose to go to a different cruise line, someone from that other cruise line comes to HAL. :)

Agree, but if I ran my business like that, I'd be out of business. Plus, you know Sail, I am simply weary of the smoking policy that is so liberal. My friends are all sailing Celebrity and we are in that demographic.

Not a scam at all.

And would you be willing to pay more if the fares went up? Of course not.

I wouldn't care if this involved a few hundred dollars, but seriously, thousands? And you said that why? This is an expensive cruise, as it is. I consider it a scam when people in business are dishonest with you. Period. Wish I'd known they'd drop the price by thousands after the promo ended. Oh, and to reach customer service? It's like reaching the Presidents office. Not going to happen.....

Sorry that this happened to you.

HAL has been getting tough on everyone lately who has already booked cruises and won't try to make some kind of a deal to keep pre-booked passengers happy.

thank you. Yes, they are tough. I know others rave about their cruise lines so we are looking at that, sadly. No point to being loyal with HAL anymore.

Disappointing? Of course. But I dont think it's a scam.

When I'm on a plane I dont think every passenger paid the same as I did. If I buy an outfit in the store I don't think about the person that had a coupon or got a discount, but I'm sure they exisit. And when on a cruise I dont think everyone onboard paid the same as I did. If I

It's all supply and demand, a matter of inventory. They're going to adjust the price as the capacity changes. Since it's so far ahead of time, people have the choice to keep their plans as is, or cancel and rebook.

I do agree that the person you spoke to was not particularly helpful about that.

If I'm agreeable to the price when I booked, I tend to just let it go. I do also agree that $2400 is a lot of money, is this for a long cruise?

Edited by WeLoveCruising

When I'm on a plane I dont think every passenger paid the same as I did. If I buy an outfit in the store I don't think about the person that had a coupon or got a discount, but I'm sure they exisit. I dont think everyoone onboard paid the same as I did.

It's all supply and demand, a matter of inventory. They're going to adjust the price as the capacity changes. Since it's so far ahead of time, people have the choice to keep their plans as is, or cancel and rebook.

I do agree that the person you spoke to was not particularly helpful about that.

$2400 is a lot of money, is this for a long cruise?

Yes, long cruise. Talked to several very unhelpful people at Holland America. They have changed. Talking about airfares and dresses on sale is like talking about apples and oranges, sorry. This is ALOT of money.

My cruise (for my stateroom category) just went up in price so I guess it works both ways. I did just get some OBC for missing the latest promo for next year's cruise because I booked so early. I think it depends on the sale progress of the cruise but $2400 is staggering. I'd be choked.

I wouldn't care if this involved a few hundred dollars, but seriously, thousands? And you said that why? This is an expensive cruise, as it is. I consider it a scam when people in business are dishonest with you. Period. Wish I'd known they'd drop the price by thousands after the promo ended. Oh, and to reach customer service? It's like reaching the Presidents office. Not going to happen.....

It is a scam but I'm not so sure that all cruise lines don't do it. Why call it free when it's not? I know some posters will say their cruise didn't go up with explore 4 but I think that's the exception more than the rule.

It is a scam but I'm not so sure that all cruise lines don't do it. Why call it free when it's not? I know some posters will say their cruise didn't go up with explore 4 but I think that's the exception more than the rule.

Thanks, of course they're paying for it, but I was amazed at how this unfolded. AND, how they don't want to talk about it. I fired my lazy good for nothing PCC when she said, "oh well", and wonder why I had a PCC in the first place. Ok, bad day, I'm going to bed. Thanks for replies everyone......

When I'm on a plane I dont think every passenger paid the same as I did. If I buy an outfit in the store I don't think about the person that had a coupon or got a discount, but I'm sure they exisit. And when on a cruise I dont think everyone onboard paid the same as I did. If I

If I'm agreeable to the price when I booked, I tend to just let it go. I do also agree that $2400 is a lot of money, is this for a long cruise?

I'm having a hard time relating your examples to the op's issue. It's not a matter of different pricing nor is it a flight or an outfit. Hal us saying something is free which in most cases is not.

That was the pricing at the time you booked. Pricing is very fluid. They obviously dropped the price because the cruise wasn't selling very well. You have got options 1) cancel and rebook at the new pricing 2) cancel and rebook with another cruiseline 2) cancel the cruise 4) do nothing

All cruiselines do similar. Celebrity love to get people sucked in with their 3 perks or whatever line they peddling at the moment too.

Thanks, of course they're paying for it, but I was amazed at how this unfolded. AND, how they don't want to talk about it. I fired my lazy good for nothing PCC when she said, "oh well", and wonder why I had a PCC in the first place. Ok, bad day, I'm going to bed. Thanks for replies everyone......

Sorry the PCC is so bad. That's the experience I've had with TAs. Hal's attitude with issues needs to be worked on.

I'm having a hard time relating your examples to the op's issue. It's not a matter of different pricing nor is it a flight or an outfit. Hal us saying something is free which in most cases is not.

Agree. HAL acts like they're giving out candy, when in reality they're just baiting people. We'll probably be canceling this cruise. If I were losing a bit of money, I wouldn't care, but when I talked to my "new " PCC assigned to me, she was not understanding when I asked her if she makes $2,400 in one day. Nobody in Seattle relates.

I would guess that Celebrity must have dropped prices somewhere along the way too. They all do if they need to. I just got a mailing from Cunard for cheap transatlantic cruises. It's not the same price as when they announced those cruises.

I would guess that Celebrity must have dropped prices somewhere along the way too. They all do if they need to. I just got a mailing from Cunard for cheap transatlantic cruises. It's not the same price as when they announced those cruises.

Good to know. Thanks.:)

Agree. HAL acts like they're giving out candy, when in reality they're just baiting people. We'll probably be canceling this cruise. If I were losing a bit of money, I wouldn't care, but when I talked to my "new " PCC assigned to me, she was not understanding when I asked her if she makes $2,400 in one day. Nobody in Seattle relates.

I would be very upset over $2400 too.. But it is not a scam, HAL is not being dishonest & they certainly are not baiting anyone.. When cruises are not selling they drop the prices..

It's supply & demand! This also happens with other cruise lines too.. And it also occurs in daily life on many expensive items such as auto's, boats, diamonds etc.

You have a choice to either accept it or cancel.. You can rebook on another line but there is no guarantee that this will not happen again on a new line.. You are fortunate that you discovered it before final payment..

Edited by serendipity1499