Adventure of Seas Jan 23 Drag Queen Cruise

lyst

Our group just found out that probably over half of the ship will be taken over by this Drag Queen cruise. Our group leader read about it on the roll call board. We are all very disappointed that RCCL never bothered to let us know about this HUGE group coming onboard. I thought I should put this on the main board in case someone else doesn't know and wants to cancel. You only have until Nov 9th. I'm really glad we found out before we couldn't cancel without a penalty.

I think it would be fair if cruise lines would inform guests that a ship poked has been chartered by a group. while I might be ok with a Drag Queen cruise, there might be a family with young children that might not be prepared for this. I might want to know if a cruise is chartered for a rock band, a gospel group, an AA group.... etc

Whenever I book a cruise, I ALWAYS Google it. IE "Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas November 13 2015."

I think if you're the type where a group might bother you, it should be YOUR responsibility to do a simple Google search. It's free and takes a matter of moments. Especially considering how much you're spending on the vacation!

I think it would be fair if cruise lines would inform guests that a ship poked has been chartered by a group. while I might be ok with a Drag Queen cruise, there might be a family with young children that might not be prepared for this. I might want to know if a cruise is chartered for a rock band, a gospel group, an AA group.... etc

That would totally suck going on a cruise with a bunch of AA's! Nobody else would get any coffee. And what about a cruise with a bunch of amputees? Everyone else would have to take the stairs. And don't even get me started about a bunch of cheerleaders all on the same cruise, holy cow that would be awful. And could you imagine cruising with a bunch of close minded judge mental people? Well, never mind the last question.

That would totally suck going on a cruise with a bunch of AA's! Nobody else would get any coffee. And what about a cruise with a bunch of amputees? Everyone else would have to take the stairs. And don't even get me started about a bunch of cheerleaders all on the same cruise, holy cow that would be awful. And could you imagine cruising with a bunch of close minded judge mental people? Well, never mind the last question.

I need a like button...

Fantastic!!!!

You made me smile.:)

Most people are not on Cruise Critic. They will have no clue that there is a large contingent of drag queens on their cruise. I have no idea whether that will be a problem for them or not, but please don't put the onus on the cruiser to determine whether a large group is cruising with them. I don't know what the solution is here now, but please do not suggest that everyone should know who is cruising with them. That is such an insular view.

On my last cruise out of Galveston there was a large Gospel group and a belly dancing group. All of their events were in private and I barely knew they were there. For the record I was not offended by either group. Neither were my type but to each their own. I did hear one guy from the Gospel group wanting to defect and join the belly dancing group though.

Our group just found out that probably over half of the ship will be taken over by this Drag Queen cruise. Our group leader read about it on the roll call board. We are all very disappointed that RCCL never bothered to let us know about this HUGE group coming onboard. I thought I should put this on the main board in case someone else doesn't know and wants to cancel. You only have until Nov 9th. I'm really glad we found out before we couldn't cancel without a penalty.

I'm booked on this cruise and I've known about this large group for months. I'm not a drag queen groupie by any means, but I'm also not against people who wish to enjoy this type of activity. They paid their money and I paid mine, so let's enjoy the cruise.

Perhaps you're upset that you misread that it is a drag queen group and not a drama queen group. Maybe we should be disappointed that RCCL didn't advise that you would be on this cruise.

My last trip on the Explorer in October had a "Drag at Sea" group. I think someone said there were about 300 in the group, which is only about 10% of the cruisers. As someone else said, they mainly had their own events going on, like any other special group. The main time I came across them en masse was after midnight in the nightclub where I'd have been a lot more shocked to see young children.

Anyway, kids are pretty accepting, its the parents who are usually judgemental and stuck in their ways.

"Daddy, why is that lady in the sequined dress over 7ft tall?"

"It's a tall man dressed as a lady, wearing crazily high heels"

"Why's he doing that?"

"Because we live in a free world where anyone can wear anything they like, isn't that great! We live in a country that embraces freedom, woohoo!"

"Can I have another icecream?"

IMO there should be notifications when over half (as the OP stated)of the ship is a large group. Call me closed minded- I call it wisdom.

I'd be surprised if it's over half. In October it was 300 - less than 10%.

My wife and I were on a cruise last year where a significant number of passengers were from the Pied Piper Travel group, a gay mens travel group (although anyone can sign up for one of their cruises, so now who is excluding people). Anyway, as an earlier poster mentioned about another group, the Pied Piper folks had their own seminars, activities, etc and pretty much kept to themselves but their interactions with other passengers was just fine.

This past spring we stayed at a hotel in Washington State where a large number of guests were there for a Cross Dressers convention. Same thing again; they pretty much kept to themselves and their interactions with us were just fine.

Now if you want something to complain about, take a cruise during college spring break. We did once, and I still refer to it as "ANIMAL HOUSE at sea". However, to be fair, there were 3 colleges represented onboard, and only students from one of the colleges made life miserable for everyone else. Students from the other two colleges were great.

Thank God you made this reply because I was like OMG! My mind was stuck on "AA's"....I though they meant "African Americans"! Whew! ...Way to early for this. Let me go get another cup of coffee! Thanks again for your clarification...the coffee reference cleared it up for me!

Edited by bigque

The more replies I read (other than Club Disney Chandler and the Like comments to it) the more irritated I felt!!

So what...

If there are families with small children

If they are are dressed differently than you (most people do dress different!!)

If they eat at the same table as you do!

If they lay by the pool

If they go into windjammer

If they go to the theater

I could go on but I think I have made my point!

They are human beings, they ARE NOT murderers, they ARE NOT child molesters, they Are NOT felons! They are just different than you are! That doesn't make them bad...

I am so tired of the bigotry in the world. Why can't good people be who they want to be without someone calling them dirty or discriminating against them!!

The more replies I read (other than Club Disney Chandler and the Like comments to it) the more irritated I felt!!

So what...

If there are families with small children

If they are are dressed differently than you (most people do dress different!!)

If they eat at the same table as you do!

If they lay by the pool

If they go into windjammer

If they go to the theater

I could go on but I think I have made my point!

They are human beings, they ARE NOT murderers, they ARE NOT child molesters, they Are NOT felons! They are just different than you are! That doesn't make them bad...

I am so tired of the bigotry in the world. Why can't good people be who they want to be without someone calling them dirty or discriminating against them!!

CC really needs a Like button!

I'm thinking just the opposite. They should have been notified that YOU will be onboard. They wouldn't be at all thrilled having you there.

A bunch of drag queens sounds fun to me. I imagine the elegant night would be spectacular.

The only issue I would have with organised groups were if public area were constantly being reserved for the group only and other fare paying cruisers weren't able to use all facilities on the ship because of this.

A bunch of drag queens sounds fun to me. I imagine the elegant night would be spectacular.

The only issue I would have with organised groups were if public area were constantly being reserved for the group only and other fare paying cruisers weren't able to use all facilities on the ship because of this.

In October I think a lot of their events happened in Studio B, maybe some in the Star Lounge. I never arrived at a venue and found it blocked to me.

I think I'd much rather have had the drag queens than the multilevel marketing group we had on Oasis. Everybody wearing the exact same (grotesque smelling) body lotion, attempting to make sales to the ship's staff/crew, and closing off the Boardwalk for them to have an event? Yup, at least the drag queens would have been fun.

My last trip on the Explorer in October had a "Drag at Sea" group. I think someone said there were about 300 in the group, which is only about 10% of the cruisers. As someone else said, they mainly had their own events going on, like any other special group. The main time I came across them en masse was after midnight in the nightclub where I'd have been a lot more shocked to see young children.

Anyway, kids are pretty accepting, its the parents who are usually judgemental and stuck in their ways.

"Daddy, why is that lady in the sequined dress over 7ft tall?"

"It's a tall man dressed as a lady, wearing crazily high heels"

"Why's he doing that?"

"Because we live in a free world where anyone can wear anything they like, isn't that great! We live in a country that embraces freedom, woohoo!"

"Can I have another icecream?"

You guys are awesome!