First Cruise - Serenade of the Seas

Taiters91

Hello!

My new husband and I are going on our honeymoon on Serenade of the Seas on March 28th - We are so excited!

It is our first ever cruise and think I am worrying too much about certain things so thought I would come for advice!!

Financially, having just paid a big wedding, I think we are only going to book one excursion in advance.

Is it easy enough to explore ports yourself? Or stay on the ship... or go off to explore for an hour or so then come back?

Also, we are paying for a drinks package for my husband, but I am happy to just have the drinks included... is there a lot of variety for food and drink to access on ship?

Finally... how much spending money would you recommend to bring for possibly exploring ports (taxi fares) and any other spending costs on board.

Is it much like an all inclusive holiday where pretty much anything is already paid?

Thank you :)

Yes...it's very easy to do things on your own at most ports, but you MUST do your research! Get a guidebook, so you'll know something about the places you'll visit! We never take excursions, but we read up on the ports, so we know what is there, and how to get to it!

Your husbands drink package is only for him, you know. You can't "share"...yes, there is plenty of food and drink to choose from, whether it's on a package, or not. The drinks included in your fare are: ice water, coffee, tea (iced or hot) lemonade, milk and juice at breakfast.

Sodas and booze are not included, unless you've bought a package...and there are several to choose from. If you don't drink alcohol, then you don't need an alcoholic package. If you only drink one or two drinks a day, it's best to buy them as you go.

The money you'll need will depend on what you want to do. Get that guidebook....it will give you a better idea of how much you'll need, based on the things you decide to do. You will not use cash on the ship...anything you buy is charged to your cabin. At the END of the cruise, your credit card or cash account is charged.

A tip: If your ID's are in your maiden name, book air and cruise in your MAIDEN NAME! I'm not sure if tips are folded into the cost on European cruises or if they are charged separately...

Edited by cb at sea

Don't forget to:

1. Look at the cruise-region specific boards, on which there will be lots on info about the ports you'll be visiting;

2. Join the roll-call for your cruise, on which you may be able to join private tours which are far cheaper than RCCL's own excursions. It's here: http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2025187

Stuart

Edited by Wiltonian

Hello!

My new husband and I are going on our honeymoon on Serenade of the Seas on March 28th - We are so excited!

It is our first ever cruise and think I am worrying too much about certain things so thought I would come for advice!!

Financially, having just paid a big wedding, I think we are only going to book one excursion in advance.

Is it easy enough to explore ports yourself? Or stay on the ship... or go off to explore for an hour or so then come back?

Also, we are paying for a drinks package for my husband, but I am happy to just have the drinks included... is there a lot of variety for food and drink to access on ship?

Finally... how much spending money would you recommend to bring for possibly exploring ports (taxi fares) and any other spending costs on board.

Is it much like an all inclusive holiday where pretty much anything is already paid?

Thank you :)

Hi there and Welcome to Cruise Critic. Here is the link to the roll call for your particular cruise 3/28/2016 Serenade of the seas This is a great place to meet folks that will be on the same cruise as you are. It gives you a chance to meet before boarding. If you have any questions, there will be loads of advice and help for you.

Anything purchased on board goes onto your SeaPass Account and you can either set up a cash account or use a credit card when checking in. You can also prepay drink packages, specialty restaurants, spa appointments and excursions prior to boarding.

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding and I hope you have a wonderful cruise for your honeymoon. We just returned from 22 days on board and had a wonderful time.

Edited by cruisenfever

Looking at your cruise there will be a lot of things to do near the ship, depending on your likes and dislikes. We did a similar cruise last year and are doing the other itinerary two cruises before yours. We loved the Southern Caribbean.

As others have said, check the roll call for your cruise to get ideas. Also check the Cruise Critic Ports page. Just some ideas. We have done 27 cruises. We only do ship tours when we want to see something specific and it is reasonable. I found that ship tours aren't much more than private tours, although you generally get more from a private tour. However depending on the tour, a ship tour guarantees the ship will wait for you. A private tour doesn't. Here is an example. When we were in St. Lucia, a group from our cruise (think around 10 passengers) booked a private land tour. On the way back to the ship there was an accident that slowed the return. Fortunately there was a ships tour right in front of them that also was delayed, as the ship waited. The only reason they made it back was because of the delayed ships tour. Otherwise they would have been left behind. St. Lucia (on your itinerary) is a beautiful island. But there is only one road and if something happens you can be significantly delayed. We did a catamaran sail around the island through the ship, and loved it.

Aruba, the ship docks in town. Lot's of shopping and restaurants, bars, etc. But it's easy to take a bus or cab to the Resort section of Aruba where all the nice beaches are. Just be sure to keep a close eye on the time and give yourself plenty of time to get back.

We did an island tour (again with the ship) of Grenada. I found it very interesting.

Barbados has easy access to beaches by cab. Just research it. But there are also a number of things to see if you are interested.

Bottom line, there is always something in every port near the ship (or a short cab ride away). Read the boards, also google the ports for cruise excursions and you'll get some great ideas. If you decide to tour on your own, use Cruise Critic for recommended tour operators. The people on these boards will always steer you right.

As for food variety, Serenade has a good bit. Here's a quick rundown of the dining venues onboard

Complementary

• Caffe Latte-tudes (Deck 5) - Offers pastries and cookies
  • Main Dining Room (Decks 4 and 5) - Reflections is the Main Dining Room on Serenade and offers up a different and diverse menu each night. Service is done in two traditional seatings and My Time Dining which allows you to book a time convenient for you or come as you feel like it. Reflections also offers breakfast as well as lunch on sea days.
  • Park Cafe (Deck 11 in the Solarium) - Offers made-to-order salads, as well as sandwiches and paninis. Also features pastries and serves breakfast
  • Windjammer Marketplace (Deck 11) - Royal Caribbean's buffet, featuring stations that offer salads, soups, burgers, global cuisines, a carving station, and desserts

Specialty Dining

• Caffe Latte-tudes (Deck 5) - Offers specialty coffees priced a'la carte
  • Chef's Table (Deck 6) - Provides an intimate dining experience for 12-guests at a time with a multicourse tasting menu designed and presented by the ship's chef de cuisine, including wine pairings with each course. When I was on there it was $95 per person.
  • Chops Grille (Deck 6) - Royal Caribbean's "New American Steakhouse" concept. You pay a cover (not sure what it currently is on Serenade, it was $30 per person last year) and you get family style appetizers and sides and an entree apiece. Menu is available here.
  • Giovanni's Table (Deck 6) - Royal Caribbean's Italian concept emphasizing Tuscan cuisine. Like Chops, you pay a cover (not sure what it currently is on Serenade, it was $20 per person last year). Emphasis is on family style dining. Menu is available here.
  • Izumi (Deck 12) - Asian-inspired cuisine focusing on sushi. As of last year, there was a $5.00 cover and then individual items were priced a'la carte. Menu is available here.
  • Rita's Cantina (Deck 11) - Tex-Mex concept. Items priced a'la carte. Menu is available here. Unfortunately, I can't recommend this one. This was our worst dining experience on Serenade. Food just wasn't that good, service was slow, and our check was incorrect and had to be adjusted. Great views of the ocean, though (but those are to be found all over the ship, especially the outdoor Windjammer seating)