Oasis of the Seas Person overboard

marko711

I agree. It sounds like the guy yelling "Don't touch me" is on the ship still. Likely crew members were trying to get him back away from the rail so they could diffuse the situation and render aid.

Lots of actual witnesses to put the who's to the voices.

Tough to wonder if he was trying to get a good hold, or trying to get away from people helping. Very tough.

As for the height- if it is 50 feet (and I don't really know), that's only 20 feet more than the 10M board, and much less than the cliff divers. So, as some have pointed out- it's theoretically survivable. Based on the yells, he was at least visible in the water.

But it seems more likely that he hit badly, and, well...

Poor family, and poor witnesses. They will never forget, too.

So, so very sad. I feel for him and his family.

Since we are all speculating here...I think it's possible that the blood that is visible after he fell was from his hand and may have caused him to lose his grip.

As a witness to this tragedy, I think that would be an image yoy would never ever forget, and would see clearly in your mind for the rest of your life. :(

Edited by tropiclvrs

I feel so awful for this gentleman and his family. I still have hope he will be found alive, if not I hope they are able to recover his body so his family can have some peace.

We were on the Carnival Liberty back in July 2007 when someone went overboard. They were apparently really drunk and trying to chop down a lifeboat with a fire axe. When security approached them, I guess they got scared and jumped overboard instead of dealing with security (at least that is what I was told). It was a moonless and choppy night but by some miracle, they were able to find him and the Coast Guard picked him up and brought him to shore where charges were laid - I am not sure of the outcome.

We were in a balcony at the time and it was very sad and scary to imagine that poor man/kid out there and knowing his family/friends were watching from above. You could actually hear this guy yelling for help. The next morning on the daily announcement video the cruise director said it was a miracle they were able to find him based on the conditions the previous evening.

My husband & I also watched the video earlier today...

It sounds like the person yelling is on-board and he's yelling mostly at a 3rd person. Yelling at this 3rd person to let go of him; he's not going anywhere until he's back on-board; and you murdered him...

It does look like the man lost his grip and fell.. I feel so bad for the family and the guy yelling in the background. You can hear how distressed he is..

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and certainly a video is worth pages of uninformed speculation and conjecture.

Once something appears on the www, it does not go away. It may (or not) be removed by one source, but by then, as the saying goes, it is viral. Human nature being what it is, many people will want to watch it, in some cases probably multiple times.

It does appear that sincere efforts were made to assist him,

Some of the news articles....the comments....what is wrong with people???? Does humanity not exist anymore? Jokes, good riddance, etc. Seriously? Pretty sickening.

Agreed, it is amazing the attitude and lack of concern for fellow human beings.

There was even I person worrying if the vessel didn't start heading for FL soon people would miss there flights!.

Now did that really need to be posted here/// where the family an friends could read it??

Shame on them!

AKK

I can only imagine how incredibly devastating this is for this man's family, regardless of the circumstances. People can (and will) speculate, especially with the video out there to fan the flames, but the bottom-line is that no one who wasn't directly involved will know the full details, and even they may have different perspectives based on their emotional states at the time.

As fellow cruisers who associate cruising with all positive thoughts, this is a sobering reminder of the terrible things can happen anywhere.

Didn't I hear part of the exchange as being "because of you". And the "don't touch me" which was clearly heard, but we don't know who said it. Since RCI put out the statement that he intentionally went overboard, I'm sure they have video from the cameras on the side of the ship showing exactly what preceded the part we saw on the video that's been posted. I don't ever buy into someone just "fell" as it's not really possible. People do dumb, impetuous things, but since no one knows this guy's history or what preceded it, we don't know why he did it. Yes, it's terrible for the family. And, the reality is, most people who go overboard are never found. Falling 50 feet can and will knock you unconscious and/or break bones. The few that have been found alive, are very, very fortunate.

I just saw the video of the guy on the Daily Mail website and wondered if this was new or not. People were telling other people below to throw a life preserver to him. I don't know if he intended to do what he did or lose his grip after he fell to the life boat or not when you see the video. He did appear to be upset.

You can clearly hear the man say in the video (which can be found on other websites), that "because of you I went out this door", leading me to believe that this was a domestic dispute and someone was pushed over the balcony. It's a little hard to hear if that is coming from the man hanging on the davit or from the man on the balcony where the action happened. Nevertheless, I don't think this was intentional by the man who fell overboard :(

The man who fell/jumped from Oasis floated for 5 hours until being spotted by someone on the Majic. He is alive, but injured.

This is incorrect. The Disney Magic has been in port in Miami all day. There was a man who went overboard from the Oasis in January and was found by the Magic. I don't believe there is any update to the incident from earlier today yet.

Why didn't they stop the ship before he fell/jumped? Clearly the crew was aware of the situation because you can see the spotlights come on before he falls. Why didn't the captain idle the motors until he was safely off the lifeboat? Royal really needs to look at their procedures when responding to this type of situation. Had the ship been stopped when he fell, he likely would have been easily found alive and saved.

Edited by ehfl

Why didn't they stop the ship before he fell/jumped? Clearly the crew was aware of the situation because you can see the spotlights come on before he falls. Why didn't the captain idle the motors until he was safely off the lifeboat? Royal really needs to look at their procedures when responding to this type of situation. Had the ship been stopped when he fell, he likely would have been easily found alive and saved.

How do you know this was not being done:rolleyes:. Again, the ship does not have brakes. You don't have a clue how long it takes to slow down/stop a large ship do you?

Edited by setsail

It's takes a very long time & distance to stop a ship of this size. Almost no ships are able to stop on a dime.