Bicycle on Board

jojosung

Not myself but the last time i sailed on NCL GEM someone did have a 26" racing bike with them, they walked it off when we were in port and rode it around, i also saw again on the GEM my last trip someone with a service dog, a black lab, her and her husband were in the dining room at the next table and the dog laid there by her feet just behind her chair. The waiter did have a hard time passing it at times since it was a large dog but he managed, i just wondered where they walked the dog :confused:

Not myself but the last time i sailed on NCL GEM someone did have a 26" racing bike with them, they walked it off when we were in port and rode it around, i also saw again on the GEM my last trip someone with a service dog, a black lab, her and her husband were in the dining room at the next table and the dog laid there by her feet just behind her chair. The waiter did have a hard time passing it at times since it was a large dog but he managed, i just wondered where they walked the dog :confused:

Why they walked the dog on the poop deck of course ! LOL !

Service dogs are trained to do their business on command in an area that

is easily cleaned up by the owner. The shower stall comes to mind on ships.

And NO they do not irrigate the plastic flowers in the Atrium Lounge !

Careful on the exaggeration...

Can you imagine if everyone decided to bring a ... aboard?

• stroller
  • mobility scooter
  • wheelchair
  • service dog
  • infant or toddler

Shall we also dissuade people from bringing any of those items?

Personally I'd be leary of bringing a bicycle on the basis of undue risk of injury. I've seen enough of drivers in Nassau that I wouldn't want to be on a bicycle thank you very much.

All of those things are necessities with the exception of the last and in the case of being a family with an infant/toddler it may well be a necessity to bring them along. A bicycle is nothing more than a nuisance that is much easier rented than toted along on a cruise.

All of those things are necessities with the exception of the last and in the case of being a family with an infant/toddler it may well be a necessity to bring them along. A bicycle is nothing more than a nuisance that is much easier rented than toted along on a cruise.
The message you quoted was in response to Josher61's argument that bikes are not allowed on board because it is impossible for everyone to bring a bike on board. That argument does not change depending on whether the object in question is a necessity or a leisure item. It is impossible for everyone on board to bring a wheelchair, too, so by the same logic they should not be allowed on board, either. Since we cannot accept this conclusion, we have to reject this logic, in both cases.

The point is that all 2000-4000 passengers are never going to show up with bikes, or with wheelchairs, so the argument is specious. The question is, should the cruise line accept 20 bikes or 20 wheelchairs, or whatever the pratical limit is for each ship? Now the distinction between need and want can come into play, and the cruise line is free to say no to anything that passengers don't need and that may create nuisance and/or risk for everyone. But apparently not all cruise lines apply this reasoning, either, because some of them do accept bikes on board.

From the reports I have read here, it looks like people have seen between 0 and 2 bikes on their cruises. If the demand remains at that sort of level, I don't see a big problem. If the idea catches on and there are 200 people with bikes getting on and off at each port, they will have to restrict it somehow.

Why they walked the dog on the poop deck of course ! LOL !

Service dogs are trained to do their business on command in an area that

is easily cleaned up by the owner. The shower stall comes to mind on ships.

And NO they do not irrigate the plastic flowers in the Atrium Lounge !

When a ship is notified that a service dog will be boarding, they will set up a "litter box" in an unobtrusive corner of the promenade and clean it regularly.