Sydney's Hip, Happening . . . The Rocks!!

From the Independent newspaper in London/UK, they had this headline on Tuesday earlier this week: "Sydney’s hip harbourside The Rocks: A journey from criminal to cultural".

Here are some of their story highlights: "​Sydney's first settlement has a colourful past and a bright future. The Rocks hides its less than salubrious past beneath a veneer of tourist allure. Sydney's first European settlement, right on the shoreline, flanked by the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, has been restless since the moment the British First Fleet disgorged its convicts there in 1788 and created the colony that burgeoned into Australia. This area has always been a shock absorber, withstanding 19th-century notoriety as the heartland of booze and brothels, roamed by ruffians, cops and criminals, then becoming Sydney's booming trade hub with warehouses occupying the waterfront, crawling up and over the hill, creating a nexus of streets and long back alleys."

This detailed profile has lots of specific ideas and potentials to consider for seeing, doing, etc., while visiting this area of Sydney. We just loved walking around The Rocks, soaking up its amazing history, charm and character. Plus, it is so handy for where many board their cruise ship, go to the Opera House and Harbour Bridge, etc.

Below are a few of my pictures from The Rocks that I had not previously posted on my live/blog thread. More info, visuals, etc., on Sydney, Australia, NZ, etc., can be found on this series of CC Board postings.

Full story at:

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/ausandpacific/sydney-s-hip-harbourside-the-rocks-a-journey-from-criminal-to-cultural-a6719126.html

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,492 views for this posting.

Here is a sampling of my pictures for certain views in and around The Rocks of Sydney. These visuals are reflecting just a few of its many dining and shopping options, plus showing this setting with its historic architecture, nearness to the Harbour Bridge, etc.:

Oct2015PixsA9_zps4ttqb8oy.jpg

Oct2015PixsA11_zpslxrbvwks.jpg

Oct2015PixsA13_zpsy9g2aakw.jpg

Oct2015PixsA12_zps5jlfjo2c.jpg

Oct2015PixsA14_zpso2pykyxu.jpg

Oct2015PixsA10_zpss2vwgpzv.jpg

Thanks Terry for the article on Sydney and your wonderful pictures. We are spending a few days in Sydney after our Solstice cruise in February. I printed the article for future reference. Kathy

MicCanberra: cheers Terry' date=' it is a great area of Sydney to explore. [/quote']

clairebearinaus: I love Lowenbrau! Been a few months since I was able to get there for a pork knuckle and a litre of beer' date=' miss it a lot! [/quote']

Appreciate these kind follow-ups and comments on my pictures, etc., from Adventurous Grandmom, etc. Good luck on your upcoming trip. Let us know any added questions and/or info needs.

Below are a few more of my visuals from this historic, interesting and charming area. It is fun to go back in the files, check on other options to use for posting.

We would like to go back to Australia and New Zealand, but have lots of other places (including South Africa and Botswana in Feb. 2016) where we have never previously been to able to visit. These other places are crying out for us to do a first visit there. The Aussie will have to wait till we get more time and money after trips to Africa, SE Asia, China, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 188,735 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are a few more of my visuals from The Rocks. This includes my wife (in pink hat) jumping in to check out and sample some of the retail action at the market portion of this charming areas. Plus, a second visual shows some of the local options for shopping, dining, etc. Our pre-cruise hotel, the Four Seasons, is showing in the background. The third and fourth pictures give different angles and views on these various structures.:

GBRLizIslanReef9_zpsf852448e.jpg

GBRLizIslanReef10_zps285b8b38.jpg

Nov2015PixsA2_zpsanbtqvns.jpg

Nov2015PixsA1_zpsdnzvaow9.jpg

The whole Rocks area was to be destroyed back in the late 60's. It was only saved by the Builders Labours Federation (BLF) who put Green Bans on it to protect our heritage. At the time they were labelled as "Communist Scum" standing in the way of progress. Theu prevented lot's of concrete and glass buildings being erected.

Now that area is some of the most expensive real estate around and brings in a huge amount of tourism. It's a capitalist playground. I wonder if the Billionaire Businessmen say thanks to the Communist Scum that helped make their fortunes?

As you liked the area so much, if you're a reader you might enjoy "Playing Beatie Bow" by Ruth Park, which is the story of a young girl sent back in time to live in The Rocks in the 1800s.

It's really an older children's book and many of us Aussies studied it at school, but it's a gorgeous story and really brings the history of the area to life.

The whole Rocks area was to be destroyed back in the late 60's. It was only saved by the Builders Labours Federation (BLF) who put Green Bans on it to protect our heritage. At the time they were labelled as "Communist Scum" standing in the way of progress. Theu prevented lot's of concrete and glass buildings being erected.

Now that area is some of the most expensive real estate around and brings in a huge amount of tourism. It's a capitalist playground. I wonder if the Billionaire Businessmen say thanks to the Communist Scum that helped make their fortunes?

I wouldn't think so, :(

Unfortunately, a lot of heritage stuff was already lost do to rapid city expansion.

As you liked the area so much, if you're a reader you might enjoy "Playing Beatie Bow" by Ruth Park, which is the story of a young girl sent back in time to live in The Rocks in the 1800s.

It's really an older children's book and many of us Aussies studied it at school, but it's a gorgeous story and really brings the history of the area to life.

The telemovie is also available on DVD and was all filmed there on site - my friends mums apartment was used as the modern location.

The whole Rocks area was to be destroyed back in the late 60's. It was only saved by the Builders Labours Federation (BLF) who put Green Bans on it to protect our heritage. At the time they were labelled as "Communist Scum" standing in the way of progress. Theu prevented lot's of concrete and glass buildings being erected. Now that area is some of the most expensive real estate around and brings in a huge amount of tourism. It's a capitalist playground. I wonder if the Billionaire Businessmen say thanks to the Communist Scum that helped make their fortunes?

Appreciate this added background and history for The Rocks during the 1960's. Interesting contrasts and dynamics involved about the more liberal, Green folks wanting to fight against the real estate/monied interests. And, then, look who ends up making the bigger dollars there??!!

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,868 views for this posting.

Appreciate this added background and history for The Rocks during the 1960's. Interesting contrasts and dynamics involved about the more liberal, Green folks wanting to fight against the real estate/monied interests. And, then, look who ends up making the bigger dollars there??!!

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 125,868 views for this posting.

Yes, the location is excellent there and any land owners would never lose.