China Visa

I sent an email to the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in Sydney with this question, but after 4 weeks no reply. I am hoping somebody who has visited China by cruise ship will be able to assist. We are arriving in Shanghai and then the next port is Busan in South Korea.

Do I apply for a Tourist Visa: Issued to those who are going to travel to China for tourism.

or a Transit Visa: Issued to those who are going to transit through China en route to a third country (or region).

I sent an email to the Chinese Visa Application Service Centre in Sydney with this question, but after 4 weeks no reply. I am hoping somebody who has visited China by cruise ship will be able to assist. We are arriving in Shanghai and then the next port is Busan in South Korea.

Do I apply for a Tourist Visa: Issued to those who are going to travel to China for tourism.

or a Transit Visa: Issued to those who are going to transit through China en route to a third country (or region).

The cruise line should have what is required for your visit in your paperwork. Perhaps your TA can clarify.

I have no idea what the cruise itinerary is or what your plans are after the cruise, so more info is required. I would suggest if it is just a few ports of call in China during the cruise, it will be the tourist visa. While if it just ends in China, the transit visit may be all you need.:D

when we were there in 2012, we had the cruise end in Tianjin (Beijing) after visiting Shanghai and Dalian, we then stayed for 3 more nights in Beijing before flying through to Hong Kong. As such we needed a multi visit tourist visa.

Are you boarding the ship in China?

Or just an itinerary with the single day visit to Shanghai?

I think the OP might be on the Cherry Blossom cruise that calls in to Shanghai for a day, then the next port is Busan in Korea.:) That was the basis I answered the question, but even if someone is flying into Shanghai then cruising, they would still need a Tourist Visa.

For a one day cruise ship visit, does the passenger need a Tourist visa or a Transit visa? I suppose they are in transit so maybe that is the correct answer. Does anyone know for sure?

Edited by Aus Traveller

I think the OP might be on the Cherry Blossom cruise that calls in to Shanghai for a day, then the next port is Busan in Korea.:) That was the basis I answered the question, but even if someone is flying into Shanghai then cruising, they would still need a Tourist Visa.

For a one day cruise ship visit, does the passenger need a Tourist visa or a Transit visa? I suppose they are in transit so maybe that is the correct answer. Does anyone know for sure?

Thanks Aus Traveller, I am on the cruise to Japan. Our previous port is Hong Kong before a 1 day visit to Shanghai.

Where is the nearest Chinese embassy to you. I used a visa service when I got my China visa a couple years ago. Cost a bit more but takes the hassle out of it.

Get your ta to organise it, if you have a TA.

Edited by icat2000

The first question is what type of visa you are applying for.

Well wouldn't it be Tourist?

L - Issued to those who intend to go to China as a tourist.

http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/ls/bg/P020130829377665429946.pdf

The embassy page seems to have instructions on what to do.

This page: How to apply for a Visa

http://au.china-embassy.org/eng/ls/vfc/t1038750.htm

We have cruised to China three separate times. First time we needed a multi-entry visa as we were visiting three chinese ports. Second time we still needed a multi-entry visa as we were visiting two chinese ports and the last time (last August) we only needed a single entry visa as we were only going into one chinese port. These ports were on top of going to Hong Kong where you don't need a visa even though it is now part of China.

So if you are only going to Hong Kong and Shanghai you will need a single entry visa for Shanghai.

Transit visas are only if you are in transit and arriving via an airplane..... if you are on a cruise ship it doesn't apply.

We have cruised to China three separate times. First time we needed a multi-entry visa as we were visiting three chinese ports. Second time we still needed a multi-entry visa as we were visiting two chinese ports and the last time (last August) we only needed a single entry visa as we were only going into one chinese port. These ports were on top of going to Hong Kong where you don't need a visa even though it is now part of China.

So if you are only going to Hong Kong and Shanghai you will need a single entry visa for Shanghai.

Transit visas are only if you are in transit and arriving via an airplane..... if you are on a cruise ship it doesn't apply.

Thanks Billy and Charlie's Mum. That is what I and most other people who replied guessed. Your first hand experience confirms our guesses.:D

Agree with this. Though transit could technically apply, but Chinese transit visas only apply to their major airports at present.

Re Aus Traveller's comment, the angle I was coming from was whether a single or multiple entry tourist visa was required. If the cruise was leaving from, and then returning to Shanghai, a double entry would be required. Whereas if just visiting Shanghai only, the single entry is sufficient.

We have cruised into China 4 times and for the last 2 visits have only needed a single entry tourist visa to visit 2 or more Chinese ports.

Perhaps the best way to clarify our understanding is to give examples:

1. The cruise visits Beijing followed by Shanghai, followed by Hong Kong - Single Entry visa

2 Beijing to HK to Shanghai - Double Entry as you are considered to have left China when you visited Hong Kong.

3. Shanghai to Hong Kong - Single entry

4. Dalian to Beijing to Shanghai to Hong Kong - Single Entry

For our first 2 visits we were "pressured" to buy double entry tourist visas, but for the last 2 visits we resisted the pressure and purchased a single entry visa. We then visited China via sequence 1 above, without any problems.

So we do not believe the type of visa is determined by number of ports, it is by determined by number of new entries into China.

And, as has been previously mentioned, Hong Kong is not considered as "part of China" when considering visa applications.

We have always used the Chinese Visa Centre in Sydney which provides a very efficient service, but, in our experience, tends to push you towards a double entry application.

Don

We have cruised into China 4 times and for the last 2 visits have only needed a single entry tourist visa to visit 2 or more Chinese ports.

Perhaps the best way to clarify our understanding is to give examples:

1. The cruise visits Beijing followed by Shanghai, followed by Hong Kong - Single Entry visa

2 Beijing to HK to Shanghai - Double Entry as you are considered to have left China when you visited Hong Kong.

3. Shanghai to Hong Kong - Single entry

4. Dalian to Beijing to Shanghai to Hong Kong - Single Entry

For our first 2 visits we were "pressured" to buy double entry tourist visas, but for the last 2 visits we resisted the pressure and purchased a single entry visa. We then visited China via sequence 1 above, without any problems.

So we do not believe the type of visa is determined by number of ports, it is by determined by number of new entries into China.

And, as has been previously mentioned, Hong Kong is not considered as "part of China" when considering visa applications.

We have always used the Chinese Visa Centre in Sydney which provides a very efficient service, but, in our experience, tends to push you towards a double entry application.

Don

Good advice, as mentioned the only caveat is that if there are any ports like Japan or Korea in between the Chinese ports or if you are doing something prior to or post cruise in China.

MicCanberra,

Yes, agreed.

I struggled to describe a "re-entry after leaving to visit Japan (say) and then re-entering China", so I referred to it as a "new" entry to China.

On one of our trips several friends got off the ship in Beijing (after the ship had visited another Chinese port (Dalian), then spent several days in Beijing before flying home. I think I am correct in the belief that they only required a single entry visa despite visiting 2 Chinese ports.

It took a little courage to choose a single entry visa on a trip to multiple Chinese ports when the official word from all quarters was that you needed a multiple re-entry visa, but was encouraged to do so by comments from other board members.

I think Anna (Kinkacruiser), who is a regular poster, was one.

The query about Chinese visas comes up every year about now and it is about time the officials came out with a document that makes the situation crystal clear.

However, from what I hear, we should just be thankful we are not trying to get an Indian visa!

Don

MicCanberra,

Yes, agreed.

I struggled to describe a "re-entry after leaving to visit Japan (say) and then re-entering China", so I referred to it as a "new" entry to China.

On one of our trips several friends got off the ship in Beijing (after the ship had visited another Chinese port (Dalian), then spent several days in Beijing before flying home. I think I am correct in the belief that they only required a single entry visa despite visiting 2 Chinese ports.

It took a little courage to choose a single entry visa on a trip to multiple Chinese ports when the official word from all quarters was that you needed a multiple re-entry visa, but was encouraged to do so by comments from other board members.

I think Anna (Kinkacruiser), who is a regular poster, was one.

The query about Chinese visas comes up every year about now and it is about time the officials came out with a document that makes the situation crystal clear.

However, from what I hear, we should just be thankful we are not trying to get an Indian visa!

Don

Yes, I have heard that they are very painful to get due to a flawed process.

I have to get a China visa for my cruise next year and just decided to let my TA handle it. Takes all the worry out of it.

I can also agree about the Indian visa. I had to get on a few years back and the questions they ask and the restrictions on even getting a photo was incredible.

Anyone would think that we would want to jump ship and stay in India for good;)

Chez

I have to get a China visa for my cruise next year and just decided to let my TA handle it. Takes all the worry out of it.

I can also agree about the Indian visa. I had to get on a few years back and the questions they ask and the restrictions on even getting a photo was incredible.

Anyone would think that we would want to jump ship and stay in India for good;)

Chez

I suppose it could happen.:rolleyes: